What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini or Nexus 7

marcandsebe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying an iPad mini, but on every page on this site, the Nexus 7 is advertised for sale. If an iPad mini was plastered all over an Android forum site, I wonder what the users of that site would think? If the Nexus 7 is posted for sale here, is it any good? Should I be jumping ship and moving over to Android? I have even hit the buy it now by mistake a few times.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The nexus 7 is very good and so is the mini. I have both. Way more apps for the mini, though.

Also, you will never find better support than you can get from apple. Google/asus are no match. The apple device will have have resell value next year when the mini with retina display (rumor) is released.

Last edited:

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
marcandsebe said:
I am thinking of buying an iPad mini, but on every page on this site, the Nexus 7 is advertised for sale. If an iPad mini was plastered all over an Android forum site, I wonder what the users of that site would think? If the Nexus 7 is posted for sale here, is it any good? Should I be jumping ship and moving over to Android? I have even hit the buy it now by mistake a few times.

Hi mercandsebe, I'm a little off topic, but have you tried the IPF app? Some ads and very easy to use.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately we have no control over the non sponsored ads shown on our website. This is part of doing business with google search. I will however bring it to the attention of the owners. The ads do change regularly

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk in Australia

Bolka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have them both and to me the ipad mini is like a small ipad whereas the nexus 7 is like a big phone.

Chantelle310

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went for the nexus 7 myself as I wanted to have a little try with android as I already have a 3rd Gen iPad and an iPhone. Can't recommend it any more as I think it's a fantastic device. Most important thing I made sure to do was to NOT compare it to the iPad. There are things that I feel are better than an iPad but also many things I feel I love about apple products that I miss from the nexus. The main selling point for me was the size and price of the nexus. Had the iPad mini had a retina display I'd of bough one straight away. I feel the nexus will be a perfect product for me to tide me over until we hopefully see a retina display iPad mini. Hope this helps.

Justinian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had to choose between the Nexus 7 and the iPad Mini as a Christmas gift, and after handling both devices, I chose the iPad Mini, even though it costs more. I liked the slim, light feel of the iPad Mini and the somewhat larger screen display. Retina display would be nice to have but for my purposes, it does not matter too much. There are trade offs with both devices. Another important factor is that I also have an iPhone 4s, so I am very familiar and comfortable with the Apple ecosystem and wanted to share apps between the two devices. And as others have said, there are way more apps for the Mini than for the Nexus. Bottom line: try to handle both devices and see which one meets your needs.

Devynquinn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
marcandsebe said:

I have had both, and I returned the Nexus. The mini just has more apps and features I use.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's not a Nexus, but I have the Kindle Fire and while it is a specialized Android, it left me unimpressed with Android and the Google market. So ipad mini it was for me.

Chantelle310

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not a Nexus, but I have the Kindle Fire and while it is a specialized Android, it left me unimpressed with Android and the Google market. So ipad mini it was for me.

How is the web browsing on that? Thinking of getting my mum one for Christmas as she already has a regular kindle. She would only use it for VERY light web browsing and reading.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How is the web browsing on that? Thinking of getting my mum one for Christmas as she already has a regular kindle. She would only use it for VERY light web browsing and reading.

The Silk web browser on the Kindle Fire HD is slow and the tabs crash regularly - my personal experience. And the Amazon App Store won't let you install an alternate web browser without rooting the device. Some sideloaded apps won't work at all. Amazon has locked down the KFHD quite heavily.

mesii23

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I had the kindle fire hd for awhile and have to say that the silk browser offered very slow browsing and often a lot of stuttering when trying to scroll.

You can add Chrome or Dolphin through GetJar somewhat easily but it does offer proper integration like the silk browser does.

Outside of web browsing though, it is a decent device, especially if you are after content over tech specs

Sent from my iPad mini using Forum Runner

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Web browsing works fairly well. It has a web tab that takes you to the built in browser. At the price it might be a good deal especially if she uses it mainly for reading. I should note that I use it to go to my local library and check out Kindle books which then down load to the Fire. As noted above it can be slow and sometimes its not clear if it did not respond to a command or whether it is running but waiting for an external site.

Last edited:

Chantelle310

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the honest answers guys. She's really would only be using it for light light browsing more than likely not even daily. Tasks such as checking the lottery results, online banking or reading up something in Wikipedia. For the price you can pick it up for here in the uk at the moment (£99) I think it still may be worth buying??

Most reactions

Latest posts