What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad 4 is too bulky and heavy would I be happy with the mini?

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a nexus 7 I loved it's size, but then I just got tired of it's lag that just can't be corrected. Went to Apple. Fell in love with the ipad 4 an its specs sheets is very impressive. IPAD mini specs turned me away with the low resolution and A5 CPU. Well I have ipad 4 and its nice and smooth but its weight and size are totally ruining the experience for me. I get a sore neck, hands, and arms if I use it to much, I have a keyboard folio and its basically a laptop now not what I want it to be especially for nearly $600. This makes me grab my phone lately rather than the bulky ipad. Is the screen clear enough and is app and game performance good? Like better than the Nexus 7? I can sell my ipad 4 for what I paid easily and then save money buying ipad mini. What do you guys think?

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the iPad mini and I love it. I researched all of the iPads when I bought the mini and the weight and size of the device are what sold me on it. I don't play games on it, so I can't tell you what the experience will be like, but I do use it for almost everything else. I compared my mini to an iPad 3 at Best Buy and the only difference I saw was a smaller screen. And, I don't notice the lack of retina in everyday use.

Best suggestion:
Take your current iPad to a store and compare it next to an iPad mini, this will yield a lot of information for you.

jdelrizzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the mini is a piece of art work I will admit, I love it, but the only real advantage it has (to me anyway) is obviously the size, compared to my ipad 3 the mini is inferior, ill even go as far as to call it inferior to the ipad 2, I never noticed fuzzy lines on my ipad 2.

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a nexus 7 I loved it's size, but then I just got tired of it's lag that just can't be corrected. Went to Apple. Fell in love with the ipad 4 an its specs sheets is very impressive. IPAD mini specs turned me away with the low resolution and A5 CPU. Well I have ipad 4 and its nice and smooth but its weight and size are totally ruining the experience for me. I get a sore neck, hands, and arms if I use it to much, I have a keyboard folio and its basically a laptop now not what I want it to be especially for nearly $600. This makes me grab my phone lately rather than the bulky ipad. Is the screen clear enough and is app and game performance good? Like better than the Nexus 7? I can sell my ipad 4 for what I paid easily and then save money buying ipad mini. What do you guys think?

well you already stated the non retina display turned you away so is it worth the hassle to carry heavier and bulkier ipad 4 for me its a yes answer how bout urself but we barely see the difference between retina barely noticable although still noticable especially if you used to read a lot because the pixel is smoother to the eye but based on your reasoning i think you better take the mini instead although for me the answer would be not a chance until mini with retina shows up;)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The mini seems to play games great, and they look nice too. If you plan to hold it in your hands a lot, it has advantages over the mini. I'm not sure I'd dump an iPad 4 for a mini, but I'd get a mini over the Nexus 7 for gaming. You can always put the iPad 4 in a stand, you know. The screen on the iPad 4 is unmatched (other than by the 3, that is). If you could take it back for an exchange, that might be worth it...but it would seem to me that if you sell your iPad 4, you might take a loss on it to get a mini....that math doesn't really work for me.

Justinian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I struggled with the same choice. I went to the Apple Store and used both the iPad Mini and the iPad 4, in that order. After handling the Mini, I found the 4 to be too heavy and bulky. So I opted for the Mini. Frankly, I do not notice the lack of retina display and find the display on the Mini to be just fine. I do not use the Mini for games, only for web browsing, email, texts and reading. I suggest that you go back to the Apple Store and play around with the Mini awhile longer. If you can overcome your aversion to the lower resolution, you will be happy with the Mini. It is so much more portable and convenient to use.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have several tablets with higher resolution than the mini...no problem overcoming any aversions...it is a question of what one values. I find benefit in the high res screen for a lot of things, but when I'm sitting on the couch or in the chair relaxing, the weight of the mini creates a more premium experience for me. I can do without the retina screen sometimes...but it is nice to have choices.

pommie82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have iPad mini i can never put the thing down always using it for something i spend many hours of a day using it for something.

I like the 9'7 inch iPad for just watching movies,tv series and live tv

The only mistake i made really i bought the wifi version and now looking back i wish i bought the 3G model

OP
T

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the very informative responses. I'm going to go back to best buy tomorrow and compare it to my iPad

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for all the very informative responses. I'm going to go back to best buy tomorrow and compare it to my iPad

That's probably the best thing you can do. We could sit here all day and discuss the pros and cons of the iPad mini display, but in the end you need to see things through your own eyes.

Pumpkinsmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Toyeboy said:

I just got my mini after using an iPad 1. What a difference! I love the camera feature, Siriis great and fun to use. I got the Verizon cellular model. Worked great this week while traveling. We had a death and were informed immediately. I also love to be able to carry it in my purse.

OP
T

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay so I was able to test out the mini in the store today. I really like it. The weight is great. I mean its so light and the screen looks just fine to me. Just wondering if any of you have lag in any of the more demanding games like asphalt 7 or need for speed most wanted etc? I can get a pretty good deal on a 64gb which I think I'll need with all the games I want to play. Also is there any lag in the browser? Thanks

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Toyeboy said:
Okay so I was able to test out the mini in the store today. I really like it. The weight is great. I mean its so light and the screen looks just fine to me. Just wondering if any of you have lag in any of the more demanding games like asphalt 7 or need for speed most wanted etc? I can get a pretty good deal on a 64gb which I think I'll need with all the games I want to play. Also is there any lag in the browser? Thanks

Lag is not really something that happens much on iOS. That is mostly an android thing.

lisa22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The mini is awesome. There's nothing not to like. I got mine a week ago and can't put it down.

lisa22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lisa22 said:
The mini is awesome. There's nothing not to like. I got mine a week ago and can't put it down.

No lag in the browser. It's very fast.

Most reactions

Latest posts