What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad keeps resetting itself

jorgevidaurre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello forum,

I have an ipad 1 with the latest ios available for it the ios 5.1.1. It keeps resetting itself randomly at will-really annoying-. What can I do to stop this ipad from resetting itself randomly?

Thank you.

Sincerely Yours,

Jorge Vidaurre

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Jorge! Welcome to iPF!

Maybe this will help a bit:

Force close apps - double tap the Home button to show the multitask bar. Then tap and hold one of the apps there until they start to wiggle and delete them all. This should be done regularly.

Go to Settings - Safari and clear your History, and Cookies and Data. Also delete Website Data.

Restart you iPad - turn it off, wait for a few minutes and turn it on again.

Reset it - press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, release both and let the iPad power up on it's own.

Hope that helps.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are a few things you could try as well:

Reset all Settings in Settings. I'm not sure where it can be found on the original iPad, because I never owned it. On an iPad 2 and onwards, it's in Settings - General - Reset.
This will remove all settings you set up during use, and you'll have to view all your settings afterwards and set everything the way you prefer it.

Maybe an app is the reason for your resets. If so, you'll have to find out which one.

If nothing of the above helps, restore it fo factory settings and set it up again. In case you didn't back it up, do so before restoring: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

OP
J

jorgevidaurre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks J.A. Did everything you just said. iPad keeps resetting itself. What can I do to prevent this iPad from resetting itself?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks J.A. Did everything you just said. iPad keeps resetting itself. What can I do to prevent this iPad from resetting itself?

When you say your iPad is resetting itself, are you seeing the Apple logo when this happens or is your iPad crashing back to the home screen?

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Plus, you should explain what is leading up to the 'reset'. Are you just staring at the screen when it happens, or are you trying to run apps? And if so, do all apps 'reset' your iPad or only some ??

MiriamNZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had this symptom on my iPhone4, and it was the battery failing. The battery thought it had juice, it reported it had juice, but kept quitting and restarting (still reporting enough juice). This is apparently typical of the way the lithium ion batteries die.

Given the age of your iPad, it is likey the battery is reaching the end of its life.
regards
Miraim

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So it resets without you using it? No app open?

Also: does it crash to the Home screen, or does it turn off and on again?

OP
J

jorgevidaurre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It happens when I am using an app, not any app in particular, sometimes when I am using blio, safari, opera. It resets itself to the apple logo.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you are dealing with a very old device with a minuscule amount of RAM. Yes, I know it's not old in terms of time, but in terms of technology, the iPad1 is ancient.

If a complete restore of iOS 5.1.1 or force closing out all apps before running that video didn't help, I'm afraid you are going to have to adapt to it - or get a new device.

Sorry, but the iPad1 got left behind and all that can be done is recognize its limitations.

Marilyn

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I find if I close all other apps down that I can watch a film or TV programmes without this happening.
Sometimes there is the option to download the film or programme and watch it offline so you can even close your wi-fi down as well to free up as much RAM as possible.

Most reactions

Latest posts