What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Charger used on iPod?

RetiredinVA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a iPod nano as a gift, and it uses the same USB connection wire as my iPad. I know I can charge the iPod from the computer, but does anyone know if I can use the plug in charger for the iPad to speed up the charging process of the iPod nano? The wire fits, so I am very tempted.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
FWiW I've used mine with no problems. Don't know if it outputs as much but I wasn't paying attention :)

aquadan88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.thepynebros.com
I'm pretty sure they both use the standard charger. The outlet charger outputs more juice than a regular USB port on a computer, hence why the iPad won't charge on a normal USB.

However, if you want to give your USBs a bit of an overdrive, download the ASUS Ai Charger from the website at the bottom of this post. This gives the USB extra voltage and allows the iPad enough juice to charge. It will also aid in speeding up the charge times of your other iProducts and other USB chargeable items.

ASUS Ai Charger - Quick charge your iPod, iPhone and even iPad!

*As a note, although this is put out by ASUS, it is compatible with all motherboards.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, the charger which comes with iPhone/iPod is rated 5W with an output of 5V at 1A (where 5 watts = 1 volts x 5 amps); the one which comes with iPad is 10W with 5V, 2.1A.

However, do not confuse the rated capacity of the charger with the actual power delivered to the device. The second charger can supply *up to* 10W to the device, but the device only draws the amount of current (amps) it needs.

Thu , the iPhone/iPod will still take a 1A charge at 5V and at their normal rate of recharging, if you use it with an iPad charger. Conversely, if you charge an iPad with the iPhone/iPod charger, it will charge slower (and with the screen turned off) because the charger is only driving half of the amps it needs to the device.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my ipad charger for iphone all the time as well as other usb devices, no problems at all.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
same as david79, I have had no problems charging my iPod touch and iPhone 3G with the iPad charger

Most reactions

Latest posts