What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad charger to use on Iphone

Boblins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently lost my iPhone charger and was wondering can I use my iPad 2 wall charger to charge the iPhone and iPod? ie given (I think) it is differnt ampage will it damage the iPhone/iPod?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no problem using your iPad charger on your iPhone. Though more power is available, the power is not forced into the iPhone, it's drawn as needed. It will charge faster because the iPhone's charging circuitry is able to use the additional power.

Remember these devices are designed to be plugged into USB ports which have a very wide range of available power...

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
They are totally the same, you don't need to worry about this..

Although you are correct about no need to worry, they are not totally the same! The ipad charger (as mentioned in post#2) has a higher power output (10w compared to 5w for iphone charger). This means you can't use a iphone charger to charge a ipad as there's not enough juice. The other way round is fine as explained in post #2.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
Although you are correct about no need to worry, they are not totally the same! The ipad charger (as mentioned in post#2) has a higher power output (10w compared to 5w for iphone charger). This means you can't use a iphone charger to charge a ipad as there's not enough juice. The other way round is fine as explained in post #2.

That's not entirely correct, you can use an iPhone charger to charge an iPad.......it just charges it slower as its more like a trickle charge.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts