What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accidentally plugging iPod into iPad charger?

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the reps are there to make money..."you need separate chargers for everything..."

Incorrect.

You can use any charger that came with an iPhone, iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod Classic, or iPad to charge any iOS device.

For those whose iPad's say "not charging", it actually is very slowly. That will be the case for those using less powerful, non 2.1 amp car chargers, wall adapters, or USB ports.

apple.com/batteries/ipad said:
The quickest way to charge your iPad is with the included 10W USB Power Adapter. iPad will also charge, although more slowly, when attached to a computer with a high-power USB port (many recent Mac computers) or with an iPhone Power Adapter.

When attached to a computer via a standard USB port (most PCs or older Mac computers) iPad will charge, but only when it's in sleep mode.

Make sure your computer is on while charging iPad via USB. If iPad is connected to a computer that’s turned off or is in sleep or standby mode, the iPad battery will continue to drain.

Apple - Batteries - iPad

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple are idiots then if they told you that you cant charge anythig besides ipad with the ipad plug

Seems doubtful that is the case, since they are the manufacturers. What I have been told by the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store was it is recommended to use the charger that came with the iPad, but using an iPod touch, iPhone charger, etc. will not harm the iPad. It just won't charge it as quickly.

I then asked them, what if I accidentally plug my iPhone into the iPad's charger, and they said that would be alright, as each device pulls what it needs and the device's battery charging circuitry knows how much amperage it needs.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
xune said:
Seems doubtful that is the case, since they are the manufacturers. What I have been told by the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store was it is recommended to use the charger that came with the iPad, but using an iPod touch, iPhone charger, etc. will not harm the iPad. It just won't charge it as quickly.

I then asked them, what if I accidentally plug my iPhone into the iPad's charger, and they said that would be alright, as each device pulls what it needs and the device's battery charging circuitry knows how much amperage it needs.

Thats why i said they are if they told them they couldnt, clearly they d not know too much if they are giving out bad info, I have an extra ipad plug because I bought the longer cord, and I use the one that came with it for everything from iphone, ipod touch to my gps when it is sitting too long and battery starts to drain from not being in car. so far no issues with any usb devide I plug into it, comes in handy.

alks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A tip my wife last night used my iPhone charger to charge her iPad 2 before i came to bed i then plugged in my iPhone and this morning the phone was dead!!
plugging in the 10w iPad to the 5w iPhone charger will blow the charger. The other way round does not seem to affect the iPhone or charger at all. I have also found that my iPad 2 will not charge when I'm on bootcamp windows yet the same port but logged into Lion os it charges fine! Odd me thinks

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
alks said:
A tip my wife last night used my iPhone charger to charge her iPad 2 before i came to bed i then plugged in my iPhone and this morning the phone was dead!!
plugging in the 10w iPad to the 5w iPhone charger will blow the charger. The other way round does not seem to affect the iPhone or charger at all. I have also found that my iPad 2 will not charge when I'm on bootcamp windows yet the same port but logged into Lion os it charges fine! Odd me thinks

iPad mustn't blow original iPhone charger, because before charging it tests connected device to determine how much current (power) it may supply - Apple use data circuits for it by applying different voltages to them in iPad and iPhone chargers. If it wasn't so your PC would block USB port every time you plug in iPad dew to overpower. Excuse my english.
MACs can charge iPad because they (modern ones) can provide 1100 mAmps on one USB port, but iPad starts to charge only when it determine that is connected to MAC, not PC.

RogueShadow3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Called Apple, they said charging my ipod with my ipad charger was fine. That was my belief when I saw the replacement ipad charger was compatable with ipods and phones. No where on their site does it say how many volts the ipad draws so I wanted to be sure.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
IDevices will draw what they need. I've been charging my iPhone using my iPad charger for a year with no ill effects.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
IDevices will draw what they need. I've been charging my iPhone using my iPad charger for a year with no ill effects.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

I also charge my iPhone with my iPad charger and I've never had any problems.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The voltage is fixed for the charger. The amperage drawn by each device is controlled by its charging circuitry. You can use the iPad charger on iPod touch, iPhone and iPad as stated, without concern. You cannot over charge your device.

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
The voltage is fixed for the charger. The amperage drawn by each device is controlled by its charging circuitry. You can use the iPad charger on iPod touch, iPhone and iPad as stated, without concern. You cannot over charge your device.

I've compared iPhone and iPad chargers (tech specs on them) - iPhone is written to have 5.0 volts but iPad is 5.1 - I do not believe iPad charger may destroy iPhone, but this difference is strange for me.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've compared iPhone and iPad chargers (tech specs on them) - iPhone is written to have 5.0 volts but iPad is 5.1 - I do not believe iPad charger may destroy iPhone, but this difference is strange for me.

The difference is not electrically interesting.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been charging iPhones , iPods and iPads from the ipad charger for 3 years ... It is not a problem.

This thread is 2 years old but the response is the same

Most reactions