What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accidentally plugging iPod into iPad charger?

threeosix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Power (watts) = Voltage (volts) x Current (amperes)

Therefore, 5V x 2.1A = 10.5W.

Hey, thanks!

Another inquiry, will the data cable matter?

And if the box of the charger says "iPod USB Power Adapter - the ones you can separately buy from Mac" but has the ratings stated above, will it matter? or what's important is the wattage?

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hey, thanks!

And if the box of the charger says "iPod USB Power Adapter - the ones you can separately buy from Mac" but has the ratings stated above, will it matter? or what's important is the wattage?

You're joking? It's all said in the thread.
I especially like the comment that devices DRAW power. It doesn't get PUSHED!!!

threeosix

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hey, thanks!

Not really, it is just quite confusing.

Is there an iPod that consumes 10watts? (If yes, i guess that answers my question haha)

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, thanks!

Is there an iPod that consumes 10watts? (If yes, i guess that answers my question haha)

Like stated before, Watts=Voltage*Amperage.
All gadgets that you can charge (having a battery) need a certain wattage. If you have a gadget that doesn't need the full 10W, it'll only draw whatever it needs.
Let's say you have an mp3 player (I don't know the wattage of my iPod) which needs 5W. If it has a voltage of 5V, then the amperage drawn is 1A (1A*5W=5W).
So, yes, I charge my iPod on the iPad charger (because the iPod didn't come with one), even though the charger for iPad has more W.

And drawing means the device will pull the amperage it needs. If it needs less than the charger can provide, then it just draws that. Usually, if you have a gadget that needs more, it'll pull whatever it gets and takes longer to charge.
The iPad needs too much for a regular non-powered usb-port. As it would take too long to charge, Apple supposedly has prevented the iPad from charging via such a port (that's what I've read).
I hope things got a little clearer. :)

threeosix

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Like stated before, Watts=Voltage*Amperage.
All gadgets that you can charge (having a battery) need a certain wattage. If you have a gadget that doesn't need the full 10W, it'll only draw whatever it needs.
Let's say you have an mp3 player (I don't know the wattage of my iPod) which needs 5W. If it has a voltage of 5V, then the amperage drawn is 1A (1A*5W=5W).
So, yes, I charge my iPod on the iPad charger (because the iPod didn't come with one), even though the charger for iPad has more W.

And drawing means the device will pull the amperage it needs. If it needs less than the charger can provide, then it just draws that. Usually, if you have a gadget that needs more, it'll pull whatever it gets and takes longer to charge.
The iPad needs too much for a regular non-powered usb-port. As it would take too long to charge, Apple supposedly has prevented the iPad from charging via such a port (that's what I've read).

Ok, here's why i asked that question. My friend has an extra charger he's giving me, it's an authentic apple product that says iPod USB Power Adapter, the one that you can separately get from apple. I think its a charger that has 10w and its being sold separately (not the one included with the iPad and its labeled iPod USB Power Adapter)

It's running on 10w so i know it will work on the iPAD since its labeled 5.1v 2.1a.

So just out of curiosity, i was wondering why Apple made an "iPod USB Power Adapter" on 10w if ever iPods do not use 10w.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's because if the one power adapter will work with both iPods and iPads, why do you need two separate products?

Having separate adapters increases the chances of confusion and errors e.g. shipping the wrong item, users ordering the wrong item, dealing with two inventory items instead of one, which is unnecessary aggro for all concerned.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple are idiots then if they told you that you cant charge anythig besides ipad with the ipad plug, i do it with my iphone and a few other usb devices and nothing bad has happened.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple are idiots then if they told you that you cant charge anythig besides ipad with the ipad plug, i do it with my iphone and a few other usb devices and nothing bad has happened.

I agree. I use my daughter's plug from her iPod all the time. It's almost identical.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It still charges just fine with a non 10W power source, such as PC USB port. It is as you described earlier: it simply will take twice as long to charge. Not way longer, not a trickle charge, simply half as fast as when at 10W (well assuming you are using 5W).

What Apple did do, which seems odd to me, is have the iPad say it is "not charging" when plugged into a 5W supply. I can see it saying that if plugged into some sort of accessory that simply does not charge (like some clock radios do when iPods or iPhones are plugged in). But I think it would be better... and far more accurate, to say "Reduced Charge" than what it does currently. :)

Michael

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reduced charge sounds reasonable to me.
But then, if it charges much slower than on the charger, I can imagine people complaining to apple. So it seems quite obvious to me why apple decided to go this way.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What Apple did do, which seems odd to me, is have the iPad say it is "not charging" when plugged into a 5W supply.

It doesn't say that for me, when I'm charging it through a iPod (5W) charger: it just doesn't charge as fast as with the 10W one. It only says "Not Charging" when I've plugged it into a regular-power USB port on a computer.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What Apple did do, which seems odd to me, is have the iPad say it is "not charging" when plugged into a 5W supply.

It doesn't say that for me, when I'm charging it through a iPod (5W) charger: it just doesn't charge as fast as with the 10W one. It only says "Not Charging" when I've plugged it into a regular-power USB port on a computer.
It does that on 5W USB port or powered 5W USB hub.

Michael

Most reactions