iPad charge faster if turned off?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by SweetPoison, Aug 28, 2010.

1. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    Or does it make a difference?
  2. Billee

Billee iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Shutting it down or putting it into sleep mode will allow it to charge faster.
  3. wrecklass

wrecklass iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Does anyone have stats on this? I charge my iPad every night and have plenty of juice to make it through a day without charging. And that is with heavy use. I never turn the iPad off, and I suspect charging with the power off doesn't make a very big difference.
  4. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I also never turn my iPad off, even when I am charging it. Once in awhile I let it drain down to the point where it shuts off, but other than that, I usually put it on the charger (the one that came with it) when the batter level drops below 50%. Supposedly, these batteries don't have a "memory" like the old NiCad batteries used to have.
  5. Billee

Billee iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Sleep mode doesn't use much power so there probably isn't much difference between charging while sleeping or off. There is a significant difference in charging rate if you charge the unit while using it, which is what I thought the original poster might have been asking..
  6. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    What I wanted to know is if I turn it off, will it charge faster, back to 100%, as opposed to leaving it on and charging it.

My cell phones charge faster if I turn them off. I think.:eek:
  7. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0

Oh. Good!
  8. DM51

DM51 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I haven't seen the specs or taken any measurements, but my guess is the iPad has a Lithium Polymer (LiPo) battery with a capacity of ~6,000mAh. The discharge rate appears to be ~0.1C, and the charge rate ~0.5C.

If that is correct, you would expect charging to take ~20% longer with the iPad left switched on than it would if it was switched off. I stress that is just a guess.

The battery will have integral protection circuitry to prevent overcharging and over-discharging. These batteries have no 'memory effect', and don't mind frequent top-up charging. If you run your iPad down to empty, it is best for the battery to recharge it sooner rather than later, as leaving the battery in a discharged state for a prolonged period will shorten its life.

If you have to store it unused for prolonged period (such as a month or more) store it at 50-75%, rather than full or empty.
  9. King Hal

King Hal iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Apple seems to force the iPad and iPhone to turn on when you plug them in and it's a nuisance then having to turn them off so I've just given up and leave them on. It probably makes an immaterial difference.
  10. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    You seem to be very wise. And smart. Thanks for your imput!

I knew it wasn't me! It does do that! I thought I was losin it ~ I knew I turned it off then I would plug it in to charge and it would come back on or appear on later....

I knew it.:D
  11. 4phun

4phun iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    No one can charge any iPad that is completely off!

No one can charge any iPad that is completely off! It must be on in the sleep mode to charge.

You can turn off all the radios that poll in the sleep mode and it will charge faster.
  12. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    So you are saying all the times I turn it off to charge it, it really is not off?
  13. iPadCharlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Please quote your source for this information!

As has been said, plugging the iPad into the charger (or the USB port on your computer) will turn it on if it is off, but after it is plugged into the charger, you can absolutely turn the iPad completely off.
  14. 4phun

4phun iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yup

The only time the iPad is really OFF is when you slide the red button right and then get the Apple rotating wheel indicating the iPad is cleaning up memory. If you plug an iPad in while in this totally off state it will come on as seen by the appearance of the Apple logo and after a bit it will go to sleep mode and will be charging.

If you are less than ten percent charge you will not be able to do anything until the iPad passes ten percent on the recharge.
  15. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    Right. Right, Scott!
  16. mslammers

mslammers iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only thing I found from Apple is guidance that you completely discharge [run down] the iPad occasionally and then recharge. I notice that my Canon cameras [both DSLRs and Power Shots] have no such guidance.
    I have read that the LiPo battery has an effective life of at least 3 years and they do last better [somewhat] if you recharge at about the 50% level rather than the 98% full level.
    I have only found this to be recommended guidance with nothing to back it up though.
    Most people [not all of course] get a new device in about 3-4 years so battery life is not as well reported as we might like.
  17. DM51

DM51 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    LiPo battery life

LiPo batteries do NOT benefit from being fully discharged. If the cells are charged to 4.15V and never discharged below 3.70V, they should have a cycle life of >1,500. If the protection circuit allows charging to 4.20V, cycle life would be ~1,000. Cycle life assumes full discharge/recharge, so part charges on a daily basis should give battery life easily >3 years, possibly up to 7 years (by which time there will be age deterioration anyway.)

Not that this is likely to affect anyone yet, but you'll be able to tell when the battery is dying - it may still charge to 100% but it will then quickly lose charge even when not in use. Once it can no longer hold >80% charge, it will have had it. But that is a long way off for all of us!
  18. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    When you turn the iPad totally off and you plug it, it turns itself on to the green slider page and goes to sleep, not totally off. Every time I try it does that.

The only thing that can accelerate charge is turning off all radios, as 4phun says. Bluetooth, wifi and 3G.
  19. iPadCharlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    No one is disputing this! What I am saying is that AFTER you plug your iPad into the charger (or a USB port on your PC), you can turn it off... completely. Just hold down the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider comes on then you can turn off your iPad. What is so hard about this to understand???

[​IMG]

Try this... Start iTunes and plug in your iPad and you will see it between the Store and Playlists where it normally is when it is turned on. Now hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider comes on and turn off your iPad. Lo and behold, your iPad will disappear! This means it is turned off! And you can further confirm this by unplugging the docking cable and you will NOT hear the bee boop sound that you would normally hear if your iPad was turned on and you unplugged it.

Sheesh!
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  20. fenderprowler

fenderprowler iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sleep Mode or Turning Off the iPad charges faster. If you sleep your iPad with WiFi Enabled , the ipad will charge slower due to it is using WiFi to check emails, and some Apps that are open.