iPad charge faster if turned off?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by SweetPoison, Aug 28, 2010.

1. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Or does it make a difference?

2. Billee

Billee
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Shutting it down or putting it into sleep mode will allow it to charge faster.

3. wrecklass

wrecklass
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone have stats on this? I charge my iPad every night and have plenty of juice to make it through a day without charging. And that is with heavy use. I never turn the iPad off, and I suspect charging with the power off doesn't make a very big difference.

4. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    I also never turn my iPad off, even when I am charging it. Once in awhile I let it drain down to the point where it shuts off, but other than that, I usually put it on the charger (the one that came with it) when the batter level drops below 50%. Supposedly, these batteries don't have a "memory" like the old NiCad batteries used to have.

5. Billee

Billee
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Sleep mode doesn't use much power so there probably isn't much difference between charging while sleeping or off. There is a significant difference in charging rate if you charge the unit while using it, which is what I thought the original poster might have been asking..

6. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    What I wanted to know is if I turn it off, will it charge faster, back to 100%, as opposed to leaving it on and charging it.

My cell phones charge faster if I turn them off. I think.:eek:

7. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:

Oh. Good!

8. DM51

DM51
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I haven't seen the specs or taken any measurements, but my guess is the iPad has a Lithium Polymer (LiPo) battery with a capacity of ~6,000mAh. The discharge rate appears to be ~0.1C, and the charge rate ~0.5C.

If that is correct, you would expect charging to take ~20% longer with the iPad left switched on than it would if it was switched off. I stress that is just a guess.

The battery will have integral protection circuitry to prevent overcharging and over-discharging. These batteries have no 'memory effect', and don't mind frequent top-up charging. If you run your iPad down to empty, it is best for the battery to recharge it sooner rather than later, as leaving the battery in a discharged state for a prolonged period will shorten its life.

If you have to store it unused for prolonged period (such as a month or more) store it at 50-75%, rather than full or empty.

9. King Hal

King Hal
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Apple seems to force the iPad and iPhone to turn on when you plug them in and it's a nuisance then having to turn them off so I've just given up and leave them on. It probably makes an immaterial difference.

10. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    You seem to be very wise. And smart. Thanks for your imput!

I knew it wasn't me! It does do that! I thought I was losin it ~ I knew I turned it off then I would plug it in to charge and it would come back on or appear on later....

I knew it.:D