What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad charge faster if turned off?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really am not sure what the reasoning is for this, but I think the assertion that the circuitry does indeed need to be on in order for charging to take place. All charging in any device is under some sort of "supervision" to prevent over-charging.

I know I can charge my laptop with the power off, but I am sure there is some small bit orf circuitry that is active to supervise the process but that takes place in the background without the laptop actually being turned on.

Who knows what Apple is thinking??? There has to be a reason for doing it this way and I suspect it is more a matter of being economical (being cheaper to produce the circuitry this way) rather than for any actual engineering reason for doing so since I am sure that engineering the product to do exactly what they want is not an issue for Uncle Steve!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is really nothing new here: iPhones, and now iPads, have always acted this way. That is because, like I stated earlier, the charging circuitry is more robust when on... and like I said when testing my iPhone, it is faster when on. So it only wants to use the faster method to get it up and out of the danger zone. But that, in NO WAY, means the iPad cannot be charged when off. Again, that would be INSANE for Apple to do that since a fully depleted iPad would be a useless brick simple by running the battery down.

Michael

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
UPDATE!

Well maybe I owe 4phun a teeny tiny itty bitty bit of an apology... maybe!

I decided to let my battery drain to the point where it shut off the iPad and do a full recharge. (I set the auto-lock to never and just left it on) So I plug my iPad into my charger and as expected, it turned on. So then I go to turn it off because we have all decided it will charge faster that way, right?

So I drag the red slider and it shuts off... and then comes right back on! WTF??? What I discovered was that when your battery level is in the red zone, it will keep turning itself back on. It is not until your battery is in the green zone that you can shut it off completely. Apparently the iPad does indeed need to be on up to a certain point until there is enough battery power to do whatever it needs to do.

Crap! I hate being wrong! It happens so rarely (unless you talk to my ex!) that I am just not quite sure how to handle it. I think I need a counselor!

He still could have been a wee bit more diplomatic in some of his responses, but then again, I have been somewhat less-than-subtle in some of my responses too. Maybe I didn't like his responses because he is too much like me!
Well, my test showed that it would turn back on even when it was at the 39% level as well,[on sometime since I went to bed and it was on in the morning].

Actually, I thought this was a discussion and therefore no apology was needed since we were just exploring. Of course I could be wrong. Sigh!!

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. All was settled, problem solved, whatever it was, and apologies went out. Never did figure out what the concensus was!

I hope it does charge faster OFF, as I forgot to charge mine and it is @ 19%!:mad:

And I am tired and my couch is calling ~ phones are off and

I.want.my.ipad!

Have not used it all day and its 2pm!

So not cool.

unknown.jpg

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. All was settled, problem solved, whatever it was, and apologies went out. Never did figure out what the concensus was!

I hope it does charge faster OFF, as I forgot to charge mine and it is @ 19%!:mad:

And I am tired and my couch is calling ~ phones are off and

I.want.my.ipad!

Have not used it all day and its 2pm!

So not cool.

unknown.jpg

You can still use it plugged in. Get a loooong extension cord...

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Oh Really?

9ce60940.png

Silly boy. I know that, iVan. I even thought of that but it was really a good thing, as I got so much done on this here computer typing 1000 times quicker and did much around my house too!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Oh Really?

9ce60940.png

Silly boy. I know that, iVan. I even thought of that but it was really a good thing, as I got so much done on this here computer typing 1000 times quicker and did much around my house too!
When I use that stand I built, I plug the iPad. There's no dealing with a loose wire though because it is clipped to the stand.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be awesome if the iPad also had a magnetic power connector like Macbooks? Maybe even in addition to the dock connector.

Michael

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be awesome if the iPad also had a magnetic power connector like Macbooks? Maybe even in addition to the dock connector.

Michael

Absolutely, Michael.

Whatever the hell you are talking about!:eek: I am sure it would be a good thing!

Immortal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 and have just put it on charge at 21% and then I turned it off. I didn't come back on and just over an hour later it's on 76% and still hadn't come back on.

Matt

Most reactions

Latest posts