What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad charge faster if turned off?

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
The only thing I found from Apple is guidance that you completely discharge [run down] the iPad occasionally and then recharge. I notice that my Canon cameras [both DSLRs and Power Shots] have no such guidance.
I have read that the LiPo battery has an effective life of at least 3 years and they do last better [somewhat] if you recharge at about the 50% level rather than the 98% full level.
I have only found this to be recommended guidance with nothing to back it up though.
Most people [not all of course] get a new device in about 3-4 years so battery life is not as well reported as we might like.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LiPo battery life

LiPo batteries do NOT benefit from being fully discharged. If the cells are charged to 4.15V and never discharged below 3.70V, they should have a cycle life of >1,500. If the protection circuit allows charging to 4.20V, cycle life would be ~1,000. Cycle life assumes full discharge/recharge, so part charges on a daily basis should give battery life easily >3 years, possibly up to 7 years (by which time there will be age deterioration anyway.)

Not that this is likely to affect anyone yet, but you'll be able to tell when the battery is dying - it may still charge to 100% but it will then quickly lose charge even when not in use. Once it can no longer hold >80% charge, it will have had it. But that is a long way off for all of us!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you turn the iPad totally off and you plug it, it turns itself on to the green slider page and goes to sleep, not totally off. Every time I try it does that.

The only thing that can accelerate charge is turning off all radios, as 4phun says. Bluetooth, wifi and 3G.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you turn the iPad totally off and you plug it, it turns itself on to the green slider page and goes to sleep, not totally off.
No one is disputing this! What I am saying is that AFTER you plug your iPad into the charger (or a USB port on your PC), you can turn it off... completely. Just hold down the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider comes on then you can turn off your iPad. What is so hard about this to understand???

man-scratching-head.jpg

Try this... Start iTunes and plug in your iPad and you will see it between the Store and Playlists where it normally is when it is turned on. Now hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider comes on and turn off your iPad. Lo and behold, your iPad will disappear! This means it is turned off! And you can further confirm this by unplugging the docking cable and you will NOT hear the bee boop sound that you would normally hear if your iPad was turned on and you unplugged it.

Sheesh!

Last edited:
OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or does it make a difference?
Sleep Mode or Turning Off the iPad charges faster. If you sleep your iPad with WiFi Enabled , the ipad will charge slower due to it is using WiFi to check emails, and some Apps that are open.

Really? Interesting. My WiFi is always enabled isn't it? I never turn it off ~ that I know of! Lol!

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I wanted to know is if I turn it off, will it charge faster, back to 100%, as opposed to leaving it on and charging it.

My cell phones charge faster if I turn them off. I think.:eek:

No one can charge any iPad that is completely off! It must be on in the sleep mode to charge.

You can turn off all the radios that poll in the sleep mode and it will charge faster.

Umm.....No sorry but respectfully that is incorrect. You can charge the iPad when it is completely off....and yes it does charge faster WHEN it is completely off....or do I have hibernation and off mixed up. Possibly.

Last edited:
OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
.....No sorry but respectfully that is incorrect. You can charge the iPad when it is completely off....and yes it does charge faster WHEN it is completely off....or do I have hibernation and off mixed up. Possibly.

You contradict yourself here. Which is it, OFF or SLEEP mode? I think OFF.:D

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you turn the iPad totally off and you plug it, it turns itself on to the green slider page and goes to sleep, not totally off.
No one is disputing this! What I am saying is that AFTER you plug your iPad into the charger (or a USB port on your PC), you can turn it off... completely. Just hold down the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider comes on then you can turn off your iPad. What is so hard about this to understand???

man-scratching-head.jpg

Try this... Start iTunes and plug in your iPad and you will see it between the Store and Playlists where it normally is when it is turned on. Now hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider comes on and turn off your iPad. Lo and behold, your iPad will disappear! This means it is turned off! And you can further confirm this by unplugging the docking cable and you will NOT hear the bee boop sound that you would normally hear if your iPad was turned on and you unplugged it.

Sheesh!
I never plug the iPad in the pc, I never use the pc anymore so I haven't verified this. I plug the iPad in a place that's hard to reach so I usually turn it off as I can't see the screen where it is. So the trick of turning it completely off is difficult to do in the position where it is. Especially that every time I turned it off it turned on again so I gave up trying.

Thank you for the information, 1991-C4, next time try it without the abuse, it will be more friendly. I don't react well to that kind of talk, it sends cross messages.

If you don't like me just tell me, I'll get out of your way...

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the information, 1991-C4, next time try it without the abuse, it will be more friendly. I don't react well to that kind of talk, it sends cross messages.

If you don't like me just tell me, I'll get out of your way...

I like you! And it's my thread so you can't leave. Maybe Scott was tired or with headache. I have one from hell right now.:(

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel just fine, thank you.

The reason I took the tone I did was because one person titled his post, "No one can charge any iPad that is completely off!". This is factually incorrect. I asked the person who made that comment to quote their source and, as I predicted, was unable to do so.

But even after I pointed out that you can indeed completely power off your iPad while it is being charged, iVan comes back with --

The only thing that can accelerate charge is turning off all radios, as 4phun says. Bluetooth, wifi and 3G.

I wasn't "abusing" anyone, but when people refuse to ignore the facts and continue with the "stream of consciousness" about not being able to turn off their iPad while it is being charged as if I hadn't posted anything , I just have to wonder, "What is so hard about this to understand?"

iVan, I don't know you well enough to dislike you, but when you totally ignore my post about being able to turn your iPad off while charging and agree with someone else whom I already pointed out was wrong, I have to wonder if you don't like me!

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Easy, guys. Let's not trash this thread - it's a good topic. I'm new here but I've seen posts from both of you around the forum, and I respect your knowledge and the way you help people by sharing what you know.

The topic of batteries happens to be one I know something about. I don't know the exact specs of these, but I do understand the principles involved. We're only talking about a difference of maybe 20%, so it's hardly worth starting a fight about it.

Most reactions

Latest posts