iPad built for Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPad Carriers' started by iDan, Jan 18, 2010.

1. iDan

iDan
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    @terry

What brand/model of netbook do you have? I looked at quite a few last night at the store and just wasn't overly impressed with any of them.

I also think AT&T's network has been filled because of all the demand for the iPhone and they are slowly working through it.

Now that Verizon has a great smart phone (Motorola Droid) I wonder what impact that is having on their network.

2. DG~X

DG~X
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Oh really?lol.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQR67HXVt14]YouTube - AT&T TV Commercial: Luke Wilson Smartphone Switch[/ame]

3. iBean

iBean
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Also, from what Jobs said in the intro last week, AT&T will allow 2 levels of 3G service Without a contract (Jobs exact words were "... with no contract. And it can be canceled at any time.":eek:) If that is true, I might spend the extra cash & get the 3G option.

4. iDan

iDan
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, I haven't seen that one.. "Where's my cool phone".. haha

5. auburn1975

auburn1975
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    What a HUGH disappointment not to have the ipad on Verizon; it is a game changer for me. And I had been so excited; now no way....I had been waiting on getting a Kindle in antisipating of this...now what! I don' want to pay ~$800 on the ipad and not have great internet functions because of poor AT&T network performance. It's to much for the usable service just to download ebooks and not get much more because of the service provider limitation. Why can't Apple and Verizon get over this issues and get us the ipad ASAP!

6. DG~X

DG~X
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    AT&T has a better 3G network but verison has more.(saw it in a commercial)lol.

7. shinelt

shinelt
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    hey guys, you are talking about ipad witch is capable to run 3g ?

8. DG~X

DG~X
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    If you buy the 3G version of it,yes.

9. mvegas

mvegas
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hey Everyone

Does anyone have an idea if they're gonna charge you extra for using the internet on this if you already have AT&T as your cell carrier? That would really be wrong I feel the Ipad should be an extension of your phone data plan i'm pretty sure they'll charge but hopefully not to much. Anybody got any ideas of how much?
    Thanks

10. Alex

Alex
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It's a shame that the iPad isn't compatible with T-mobile's 3g network. No matter what the Ad's tell you, T-Mobile has THE FASTEST data network in the US right now. It's the only TRUE HSDPA 7.2mb network. Yes, ATT has enable HSDPA 7.2 on theirs, but what they fail to tell consumers is that most of their existing infrastructure simply can't handle those speeds, creating a bottleneck at the most crucial part of the network. So until they can upgrade their entire network (which they won't, since all their money is invested in their 4g development), T-mobile is the winner.

Unfortunately, T-mobile has a TIIIINY 3g coverage map(around 80% of ATT's already paltry coverage), so that's a big turn-off. But since T-mo's about to roll out HSDPA+, I would be very interested to see an iPad with an HSDPA+ radio built in. Imagine 21mb/s!!!!!

I just hope that T-mobile will have micro-SIM's available so I can at least try the iPad out with mobile data.

As for Verizon, i'm sorry but they have the SLOWEST network ever! Using my friend's BB and Envy it kills me!

If anything, Sprint should've gotten a version. Their EVDO rev A network screams. It's just unfortunate that they have a horrible selection of phones to choose from.