verizon vs ATT

Discussion in 'iPad Carriers' started by mfruin, Oct 18, 2010.

1. mfruin

mfruin iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am ready to spring for an ipad and am considering the verizon wifi version with a wifi hum and a 3g att version. My question is about data usage. The verizon plan looks more expensive for less time. I wonder on the ATT plans if what 2gb of data time gets you with the ipad. Do most people find it adequate or do they run over? I just want to compare what 1gb vs 2gb gets you. Any thoughts?
    Michael
  2. Wakawaka

Wakawaka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The main issue is another device to carry and charge. I have a sprint mifi and for one, it's $60 a month. Two it only lasts 4hr max. Three it's something you have to carry with you in addition to iPad. Four, it's another charger to lug around. It sucks but some people rather go that route.
  3. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Question one is how good is the AT&T vs Verizon service. If both are about equal, you are better off with the AT&T simply because it is more convenient and you will not have to worry about battery life and extra equipment.
  4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm in Canada and have a 250 MB data plan with Rogers, and I have yet to exhaust it. I simply use WiFi whenever I can.

I'd personally prefer to have a single device that could get online rather than needing a second device (like the Verizon solution requires). One other advantage is that I can get a local data SIM in another country (e.g. picking up an AT&T one when I go to Buffalo, NY next week) and still use the cellular connectivity in my iPad.
  5. chesterhound

chesterhound iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    mfruin:

I have had the AT&T 3G version for almost 2 months now. There is little doubt as far as cell service that overall Verizon has better coverage. Of course that depends on your location. I have never had any problems with AT&T coverage and I have not exceeded my 250MB plan either since the iPad defaults to wifi. Also, with the AT&T plan, you get free use of a lot of wifi hotspots, such as Starbucks, that may otherwise charge a fee.
    The major reason I went with the 3G AT&T version was because I travel overseas to areas without a lot of wifi. Since my iPad is capable of both GSM roaming and unlocked, I can use 3G in other countries. I don't believe the Verizon version is capable of that.

Good luck,

chesterhound
  6. hookbill

hookbill iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I'm a moderator at Droid Forums.net and I can't tell you how many people drop their iPhone for Android, not because of it being a better phone but because of the poor quality of AT&T's coverage. Verizon definitely is the best.
  7. dutch7man

dutch7man iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    what does 1 gb data mean in on line useage dutch7man thanks
  8. chuckz28

chuckz28 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do you already have a smart phone that can do wireless tethering either built in or hacked? I went with the wifi only iPad route and use the wifi tether on my droid to give myself 3G on the rare occasion that I use it. Much cheaper for the iPad and no monthly charge. Just a suggestion.
  9. PhotoJim

PhotoJim iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's hard to answer that question. It depends on what you do with your iPad.

I web surf, I play the occasional game, I use an ebook reader client and I read email on it from time to time. However, during the week I have a desktop at my desk with wired connectivity, at home I have wired connectivity (and WiFi if I need it) and when I'm at my second job (I teach part-time at a university) I have WiFi connectivity there, too.

I tend only to use cellular connectivity when I'm in a vehicle (not driving of course), at the cottage (we don't have broadband service there; it's cellular or dialup), and while traveling (if i don't have WiFi at a hotel, e.g.). Still, I am lazy and don't usually bother using free WiFi if it involves logging in through a web portal because it's easier to just use 3G (I'd make an exception if I were planning to burn a lot of bandwidth).

Bear in mind that iOS will not let you download apps, podcasts, etc. that are longer than 20 megabytes - you need WiFi to do this.

The cheapest plan I can get here in Canada is 250 MB (the carriers I use also let me buy 5 GB for a little more than double the cost), but 250 MB have always been enough given how often I can use WiFi.

My recommendation would be to buy the bigger data plan your first month (which is what I did) and use your iPad more or less like you'd like to use it (but use WiFi whenever you are at home and wherever else it makes sense). Watch your usage (easy to do) and see how much data you end up burning. Check again close to the expiry of your plan and if you're comfortably below the cheaper allotment's amount, change to the cheaper plan.
  10. geo

geo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently got a Verizon Droid 2 with the 3G Hotspot and will discontinue AT&T at the end of this month. AT&T service for my iPad is routinely poor in this rural area while the Verizon 3G is always 4 bars. The 3G Hotspot on the Droid is not perfect however as it does seem to cut itself off after about 30 minutes of use. With my usage patterns and available home WiFi as my primary connection I should be able to do what I want with my iPad and dump AT&T.
  11. GaurhothW

GaurhothW iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Missing GPS

1) Lack of GPS is a deal breaker for the Verizon Wifi iPad + mifi bundle.

2) Another device that needs to be charged on a road trip where I'm already overloading the car's electrical system with phones, mp3 players, video game systems, etc ... no thanks ... (Oh btw, I have 4 kids... so no shortage of electric hum in my Van on road trips :)
  12. SR45

SR45 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  13. pego99

pego99 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I am doing the same. My droid 1 has a wifi tethering app which connects to my iPad. Works great but I had to root the droid to use this app.
  14. ComicDom1

ComicDom1 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, I am a brand new I-Pad owner but I am going to jump in here. There is a GPS app for the I Pad or you can use Google Maps and actually see it on a large screen. I have not explored it completely but Imagine there are several different GPS apps. Second, with the software update coming in Nov you will gain multitasking capability so possibly you can listen to music stored on the I-Pad while you use your GPS. Hmmm 2 devices built into one. Since you have the capability of playing games and then watching a DVD as well now you have 4 devices. I probably should shut up now. By the way I am a Verizon customer and I am picking up my MiFi device tomorrow. Since it will plug into the car and charge I got a feeling the battery life will work out fine for me. I can also always buy and extra battery.

Jason
  15. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Any GPS app for the iPad either works with the 3G GPS, or is a refinement of the wifi positioning of the non-3G model. Essentially, the wifi model is not going to be of any use while travelling. Even 3G does not work everywhere if there are obstructions preventing satelitte access. As far as listening to music and using the GPS, that is already a feature of the iPad and has been since day one.
  16. slothead

slothead iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Chuck,
    How do you connect your Droid to your iPad, and what app do you use in your iPad to talk to the Droid?

Thanks,
    Tom

17. ComicDom1

ComicDom1 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Unless I am wrong, my mifi system works off the same towers as my cell phone. So basically mifi is just a cell phone without keys and should provide a sufficient hotspot when traveling. Providing a mobile hot spot is the whole purpose of the mifi so if you can run a navigator program on your cell through wireless you should be able to off the iPad using a mifi with it. Furthermore mifi can be used plugged in or battery operated so it's truly portable. I use this at home now with no difficulty. Google maps can also be accessed as well as mapquest or any gps app.

Jason
  18. Wakawaka

Wakawaka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Comicdom is correct, the mifi works off cell towers - same as your cellphone.

Mifi is a waste I think. But hey, can't stop the needing I guess lol
  19. chuckz28

chuckz28 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Your Droid must be rooted first. if it is there are two apps you can try in the Android market. One is called Barnacle tether and the other is simply called WiFi tether. both are free once you download one you can go into settings to setup a wep connection name and password to protect it and bit share. you will be asked for root access , click ok and your ipad should see the internet available in WiFi connections. To stop at anytime just hit stop. it will show down at the bottom how much data is being sent and received in kbs and the device it is connected to. I have used it a few times now and it is very handy to have. my ipad is mostly for home use though so I knew going in I wouldn't have to use this kind of connection much but it is great to be able to when I take it out.

20. ComicDom1

ComicDom1 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you live where I do Mifi, tethering your cell phone to your computer, Hughes net, or dial up are your options.

No cable, no fiber optic, no DSL so which would you choose?

Seriously we only had cell tethering for the last 3 or 4 years and the recent cap until now was 5 gb unless you wanted to pay $199 or more for the 10GB cap. Hughes net only allowed me 385 MB of download a day( their so called Fair access policy or FAP) and then they would throttle me down to slower than dial up. To make things worse they over sold the bandwidth so many times unless very late at night we were slower than dial up anyway. Try to run your Ipad or computer on that!

I have been using cell phones since the 80's and do travel at times. I have been all across this country and I can tell you first hand Verizon has the best coverage of all the carriers I have tried. A&T&T can claim what they want but its only true if you live in an area where they can provide the service they advertise and they do not talk about reliability. Sprint is the most reliable and good pricing compared to others but they just do not have the coverage area. I will not even talk about the limited coverage of T-Mobile. So over all for the best pricing, reliability, service, and coverage Verizon is the answer for me. I also tested different GPS services but that is another subject completely(LOL).

So if you think Mifi is a waste, you probably live in a good coverage area and haven't experienced what many of us who live in rural area's and travel across the country put up with. Great for you but bad for us. If you doubt this just surf the net for complaints against Hughes Net (formally Direcway) and read the horror stories.

Personally I will and use my IPad and MiFi while at home and on the road until Fios or something better comes along. Until it does MiFi is the best solution and so far it works fabulously.

Jason
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2010