iPad build in GPS software

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by paulyeo11, Aug 6, 2010.

1. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    As has been said before, the WiFi models ONLY work using the WiFi signal/locator.

It works fairly well. I find the locator using my phone as a WiFi router tends to be less accurate than my home based WiFi signal, but it's not disappointing at all, if you figure what it's doing and how it's doing it.

I wish it did have its own GPS chip on it, though. The though of being able to use a full GPS program in the car with this would be simply fantastic. You can use a Bluetooth dongle with a JB'd iPad, so at least that's fine :)

2. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Yes agreed. I have it already. But I prefer to have the whole of the screen to display a map though, so I like using the iPad's Maps. And I can't stand to be told where to go. A GPS never cuts it right.
    ( Don't tell my wife but the boat trip was a bore.)
    This was the right time to do a serious test for AIF...:D

3. Patspad

Patspad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have an Ipad 3G and downloaded MotionX but it doesn't work when I turn off the 3G. That seems contrary to what others have said so maybe the problem is me. I downloaded the maps needed for a trip then turned 3G off. It kept telling me I needed to turn it on.

4. paulyeo11

paulyeo11
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I confirm that google map need to turn on 3G, because when I travel oversea , I alway need to do that. But when I use GPS software like Papago I don't need, may be these gps software use settelite signal. Not 3 G . Hope some one can confirm.