What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad build in GPS software

paulyeo11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I heard some one here mentioned that iPad come with build in GPS software it is true ?

Paul

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually it is not true GPS but A-GPS. It's a sort of assisted GPS. It works by triangulating your position from cell towers in the same fashion a GPS uses satellites. It only works with 3G models in conjunction with GPS apps. If you fall out of cell reach, I'm pretty sure it won't work.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Actually it is not true GPS but A-GPS. It's a sort of assisted GPS. It works by triangulating your position from cell towers in the same fashion a GPS uses satellites. It only works with 3G models in conjunction with GPS apps. If you fall out of cell reach, I'm pretty sure it won't work.

the iPad has a True GPS. It is accurate within 15 feet.
The iPad 3G is the model with GPS, wifi only ipad does not have GPS. Also like the poster above said it uses whats called an Assisted GPS. This means that it can find your location mutch faster than a normal GPS.

First it uses the cellphone tower to get the city location for where your at. This means it knows right off the bat the general location/city your in and the actural GPS doesnt have to work as hard to pinpoint your exact location.

If the 3G service on the ipad is disable the GPS will still function since it is a true GPS.

As far as GPS software, it only comes with a google maps app. other GPS software is downloaded from the app store.

Last edited:

lumberjak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of confusion with the GPS. I had friends tell me after I bought my iPad that A-GPS is inferior and not "true" GPS but relies on cell towers (like the above poster which was mistaken).

Like the other poster above, A-GPS is "enhanced" and therefore sometimes faster than regular GPS as it uses both cellular and satellite. Satellite location will always be used as the primary as cellular triangulation is not quite accurate, however it speeds up the initial tracking to your region faster than the satellite will - in other words it "assists" the actual onboard GPS chip. Personally I have yet to activate my 3G and my GPS still tracks me within 30 seconds or less (unless way indoors).

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had a GPS location on my iPad when I have had cell no service with AT&T on my iPhone, so it certainly must be using satellites.

And, here's a tougher question: since my iPad is wifi only, how could it be using cell towers anyway, unless it has the 3G hardware installed, but doesn't enable it for use?

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had a GPS location on my iPad when I have had cell no service with AT&T on my iPhone, so it certainly must be using satellites.

And, here's a tougher question: since my iPad is wifi only, how could it be using cell towers anyway, unless it has the 3G hardware installed, but doesn't enable it for use?

WiFi-only units use the location of the wireless network you are connected to.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFi-only units use the location of the wireless network you are connected to.

Oh, that's a good one. For a moment, though, I thought you were serious. LOL.

kinda
Apple - iPad - Find your way easier with Maps on iPad.
"iPad with Wi-Fi finds your location using known Wi-Fi hotspots, and Wi-Fi + 3G models use Wi-Fi, GPS, and cellular towers."

Wow, you are kind of serious. Where I usually am, the only wifi's my iPad sees are private, like the one at my house. You don't get a myriad of wifi's when you live in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm. So my wifi-only iPad does not have gps. Wow, I didn't realize that. It sure does a dang good job finding itself then.

Most reactions

Latest posts