What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad build in GPS software

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
WiFi only iPads certainly can determine your location

can determine your location but accuracy goes out the window.

you could be next to a wifi hotspot that someone registered in another country and the wifi only ipad would then think your in the other country.

iPad 3G are the only ones with GPS.

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFi-only units use the location of the wireless network you are connected to.

Oh, that's a good one. For a moment, though, I thought you were serious. LOL.

I was trying to cover up the horrifying truth. When you buy an iPad, one of the sales associates sneaks up behind you as the box is being opened and injects a GPS microchip in your hip. :eek:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had a GPS location on my iPad when I have had cell no service with AT&T on my iPhone, so it certainly must be using satellites.

And, here's a tougher question: since my iPad is wifi only, how could it be using cell towers anyway, unless it has the 3G hardware installed, but doesn't enable it for use?

Interesting...

Have you tried this in a vehicle to see how accurate it is? I'd be curious.

Home position is easy, the iPad has our address. But moving away from it?

If moving away, unless the wifi is off, the radio tries joining a network and gives its information. Can it be detected by public networks as it does so? Btw when the iPad is in sleep mode, wifi keeps emitting.

Is it possible for an IP or MAC address to give its position on a "web map"?

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I did the perfect test today. My wife and I went for a two hour cruise on the Saint Lawrence river this afternoon. The part we were at had a width of about four miles. In port I turned the iPad on with 3G working and opened iPad Maps in satellite view. About 20 minutes in, 3G faded to signal loss but our position kept updating precisely until the maps were gone. As we neared the coast 3G came back and the maps updated without real change to our actual positioning. After a while i turned 3G off. No difference, our position kept updating to around 20 feet.

There surely is a GPS onboard the iPad. Test confirmed. Having 3G only aids to keep the maps displaying in sync with position.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Well, I did the perfect test today. My wife and I went for a two hour cruise on the Saint Lawrence river this afternoon. The part we were at had a width of about four miles. In port I turned the iPad on with 3G working and opened iPad Maps in satellite view. About 20 minutes in, 3G faded to signal loss but our position kept updating precisely until the maps were gone. As we neared the coast 3G came back and the maps updated without real change to our actual positioning. After a while i turned 3G off. No difference, our position kept updating to around 20 feet.

There surely is a GPS onboard the iPad. Test confirmed. Having 3G only aids to keep the maps displaying in sync with position.

Get MotionX GPS HD and you can download the maps and store them on the ipad. When 3G dies you still have your maps :)

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As has been said before, the WiFi models ONLY work using the WiFi signal/locator.

It works fairly well. I find the locator using my phone as a WiFi router tends to be less accurate than my home based WiFi signal, but it's not disappointing at all, if you figure what it's doing and how it's doing it.

I wish it did have its own GPS chip on it, though. The though of being able to use a full GPS program in the car with this would be simply fantastic. You can use a Bluetooth dongle with a JB'd iPad, so at least that's fine :)

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Get MotionX GPS HD and you can download the maps and store them on the ipad. When 3G dies you still have your maps :)
Yes agreed. I have it already. But I prefer to have the whole of the screen to display a map though, so I like using the iPad's Maps. And I can't stand to be told where to go. A GPS never cuts it right.
( Don't tell my wife but the boat trip was a bore.)
This was the right time to do a serious test for AIF...:D

Patspad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 3G and downloaded MotionX but it doesn't work when I turn off the 3G. That seems contrary to what others have said so maybe the problem is me. I downloaded the maps needed for a trip then turned 3G off. It kept telling me I needed to turn it on.

OP
P

paulyeo11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 3G and downloaded MotionX but it doesn't work when I turn off the 3G. That seems contrary to what others have said so maybe the problem is me. I downloaded the maps needed for a trip then turned 3G off. It kept telling me I needed to turn it on.

I confirm that google map need to turn on 3G, because when I travel oversea , I alway need to do that. But when I use GPS software like Papago I don't need, may be these gps software use settelite signal. Not 3 G . Hope some one can confirm.

Most reactions

Latest posts