What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad + Adobe pdf ebooks - how to transfer?

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need help and I barely know how to ask the question. Please bare with me.

My library has "Overdrive" which allows me to check out audiobooks that I can put on my iPad and iPod.

But there are also books in formats called: Adobe EPUB ebooks & Adobe pdf eBook.

I have downloaded an Adobe pdf eBook. Is there an app, a way, to get this over on my iPad to read?....even tho the Overdrive site sez that iPads are "not supported" by Overdrive.

Ya'll have talked alot about pdf readers (?) can one of these help transfer this book to my iPad.

Thank you!

CM

OP
CMFox

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it self-explanatory? Can a less then gifted compute normal person figure it out?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Adobe Digital Editions is Flash-based so it will not work on Apple mobile devices.

The Adobe DRM (Digital Rights Management) system is called ADEPT (Adobe Digital Experience Protection Technology) and in order to read an ePub from your library, you would need to "unwrap" the ADEPT from the books.

Is it possible to do this? Yes! If you search for it, you may find a way to do it... maybe even somewhere within this very forum!

Is it legal? I am not a lawyer, so I don't know, but I am probably thinking the lawyers at Adobe probably have a definite opinion on this.

Is it is ethical? I am not a priest, minister or rabbi so you have to decide for yourself if circumventing the protection system is OK for you to do.

Is it fair? Absolutely not! I personally think that the libraries that use Adobe Digital Editions are cutting out a huge piece of the market by using this system that effectively shuts out all Apple mobile device users.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
yeah, should be. while not drag and drop, you just browse out to where the ebooks are on your PC (from in iTunes) and select what you want on the iPad.

Besides, if you need help, you have all these people here who are whizzes!

[Edit] 1991-C4 - I didn't think of that. I have not gotten anything from Adobe. And with the history between Apple and Adobe when it comes to Flash-based apps, I would say that without some more nefarious editing and converting, it would be less time consuming to just buy it again for a non-computer whiz.[/Edit]

Last edited:
OP
CMFox

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Adobe Digital Editions is Flash-based so it will not work on Apple mobile devices.

The Adobe DRM (Digital Rights Management) system is called ADEPT (Adobe Digital Experience Protection Technology) and in order to read an ePub from your library, you would need to "unwrap" the ADEPT from the books.

Is it possible to do this? Yes! If you search for it, you may find a way to do it... maybe even somewhere within this very forum!

Is it legal? I am not a lawyer, so I don't know, but I am probably thinking the lawyers at Adobe probably have a definite opinion on this.

Is it is ethical? I am not a priest, minister or rabbi so you have to decide for yourself if circumventing the protection system is OK for you to do.

Is it fair? Absolutely not! I personally think that the libraries that use Adobe Digital Editions are cutting out a huge piece of the market by using this system that effectively shuts out all Apple mobile device users.

Ah, I'm getting more educated. Thank you. Basically I stepped in it, by asking this question, because it is illegal (maybe) or unethical (probably) to do what I am wanting to do. And since it is the above it can't be discussed on this forum, ie striping off the .drm to make it readable by pdf readers.

It is puzzling because the book now sits on my iMac waiting to be read, but I don't wanna read it at my computer desk, I want to read it in a comfortable chair or in bed on my iPad. But as long as the spitting fight continues between Apple and Adobe chances are those books on Overdrive aren't going to be iPad compatible. That sucks.

Thank you 1991 for your clear explanation.

I did download an app txtr that is suppose to read .drm files. But much of the help section is in german, a language I don't speak or read. I will mull my way through this or flick it in. The app was free.

Thanks for clarifications.

CM

Most reactions

Latest posts