1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Moving ebook from Overdrive to iPad1

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by jercook, Mar 15, 2011.

1. jercook

jercook iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

This is probably basic to all you iPad experts but we are baffeled on getting an ebook from our local library to our new iPad1 that we got this last weekend.

We have the book loaded into Overdrive and my wife is reading it using the Overdrive app but we cannot figure out how to get it into the iPad library so she can take advantage of the iPad reading features like increased font, searching, etc.

Any suggestions reduced to the mind of a newbie will really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry
  2. thekarens

thekarens iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Someone who is more knowledgable hopefully speak up, but I don't believe this is possible.
  3. kramrengaw

kramrengaw iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You need to install the iPad Overdrive app from the app store onto your iPad. Once you open the app it has instructions on how to access your library web site and DL books directly into the Overdrive app on the iPad.
  4. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    You're wanting to move it into Ibooks??? I don't know of any way possible because of the DRM on the books . There is a bookmarklet that I mentioned here before that will allow you to transfer to Bluefire Reader which is a very nice full featured ereading app. Free in the app store. I'll try to find the bookmarklet in the meantime. Its a bit tricky to set up in Safari and sometimes is quite annoying to use, not always working immediately.

In the meantime you can use this method. Download your ebook to your main computer. Have Dropbox installed on both your Ipad and main computer. Install Bluefire Reader on your Ipad and register with Adobe so Bluefire can open the DRM on the book. (you only have to do this once). Now drag the ebook file on your main computer into the Dropbox folder. On your Ipad open Dropbox and find the book file and hit the "open with" by clicking on the curved arrow icon in top right. You will see Bluefire listed. Choose it and see the book open there. Be sure you have already registered with Adobe--you will be alerted when you first open Bluefire (do this before downloading the book)

If your library is similar to ours, also using Overdrive, you should have an area in your account that shows your downloads and allows you to redownload. Use that area to download again to your main computer this time to move to Dropbox, etc.

I'll try to find the link to both the bookmarklet and instructions to create it.

Diane
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  5. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    [​IMG]

I thought I knew a lot about reading stuff on an iPad, but I have learned a lot from Diane!
  6. jercook

jercook iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dropbox

Is Dropbox an app for the ipad???

We are newbies (Or noobs) so all this lingo is still quite confusing.

Thanks,

Jerry
  7. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    Yes it is. It is awesome!
  8. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    I'm sorry. Yes, its a free app which gives you 2 GB free storage "in the cloud". There are quite a few apps integrated with it. I use it for moving files from computer to Ipad and vice versa plus moving between apps on the Ipad too. I'd recommend you go to their site and take a little tour.
    http://www.dropbox.com/tour

Diane
  9. kramrengaw

kramrengaw iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dropbox is a great app. I use it to share files between all my other systems and my iPhone and iPad. But if you want to read books from Overdrive why not just use the iPad Overdrive app...or am I missing something?
  10. jercook

jercook iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    using overdrive

My wife is using overdrive to read the books but it does not have all the features asfar as we kinow that reading on the ipad does like font size changes, searches, bookmarks.

Jerry
  11. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    I'm guessing that they want a more fully featured ereading app. One reason I prefer Bluefire is because it has night mode, white on black, and its MUCH better than the white on grey of Overdrive from change in settings. It also gives you option of page turn, font size. Not as featured as Ibooks or Kindle or nook but better than Overdrive.
  12. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    Jerry, it does have font size changes and bookmarks. Tell her to look along the top of the page where she can change contrast, font size and bookmark on the far right. Touch in the middle if the page and it will show the options at the top. It doee not have search, Bluefire does.

When you talk about getting it onto the Ipad, are you reading it on your Ipad in the Overdrive app?

Diane
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  13. kramrengaw

kramrengaw iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can't actually read anything natively "on the iPad", you need to use an app like iBooks OR Overdrive. The Overdrive ebook reader app on the iPad does offer the ability to to change font sizes and create bookmarks. Not sure about search. I suggest you try the Overdrive iPad app first to see if it provides the capabilities you are looking for.
  14. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I use the Overdrive app itself. It works fine for me. It was recently optimized several weeks ago for iPad. Since my libraries use Overdrive anyway, it's just as easy to stay with it.
  15. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    Yes I agree. Since the optimized Overdrive came out its fine IMO for almoet all reading. The only reason I use my bookmarklet to open in Bluefire is to use the night mode there which I use to read in bed. It also has the ability to "return" a book early which Overdrive does not offer.
  16. jercook

jercook iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Drm

I see the utility of the dropbox after checking the link to their site. One other term that we don't understand is drm.

Please explain.

Thank you. appreciate all the input.

Jerry
  17. jercook

jercook iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks so much

We really appreciate all the timely comments we received. My wife has been using overdrive to read her book and as mentioned, she is finding it does have some neat features.

I think most of our immediate answers have been answered so thanks again. Maybe someday, we will be where we know enough that we can help some of the newer noobs.

Jerry
  18. kramrengaw

kramrengaw iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    drm = Digital Rights Management. It is technology that has been implemented to protect the rights of content creators. It prevents you from, among other things, simply giving copies of an ebook that you purchase to all of your friends and relatives.
  19. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's a good point. A return early option is nice if you're done and there's no point in having it in there for the duration. Hmm. Maybe Overdrive will add this as an option in the future. I usually at this point read them to the end so for me doesn't matter, but I agree-it's still a nice option.
  20. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The early return is also nice when you check out a book and you just don't like it!