What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 VS iPad 3

mypad36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the iPad 3 so far? is it worth the price difference to get a iPad 3 over a 2? did you have to get all new accessories for your ipad 3 or do most of the ipad 2 accessories still work?

Tassiecelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't need to change from 2 to 3, but I did, and I'm happy about that. I sold my ipad2 for $300 put that toward the $900 cost of the wifi 3G (not 4g) 64gb and for me it was worth it.

Love the camera, the screen, the speed. Everything works, except the Cygnett case which no longer shut the iPad down.
My only beef is that it takes hours to recharge.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree. I think it is a little faster and I'm a person who really uses the camera so that right there was enough for me. As far as the retina screen goes. It's a little better but not that big of a deal. All in all I'm satisfied. But again if the camera wasn't upgraded for me it wouldn't have really been worth it but that is just me!

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny, for me the only reason to upgrade was the retina display. Its like looking at laser print vs dot matrix. I'd be happy with an iPad 1 with retina. Fortunately my wife doesn't mind the ipad 2 display, so there is domestic bliss as she has the 2 now.

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the 3 for the retina display and wasn't awestruck. It's nice but going from an ipad2 to ipad3 is not like going from an iPhone3 to an iPhone4. The differences in the phones was dramatic. Not so much with the pads. But I just like buying the newest apple toys so I am happy. I really like the camera also. If the only reason you're upgrading is the retina display I think you may be disappointed.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
XDRoX said:
... If the only reason you're upgrading is the retina display I think you may be disappointed.

I beg to differ! If you are disappointed with the iPad 3 retina screen with four times the information capability of the iPad 2 screen then no screen will ever come up to your standards so be prepared for a lot of disappointment. Any screen advancement for tablets from this point will be only incremental.
It's already been shown that the iPad 3 screen is one of the most color accurate screens available now.

There will not be any four times increase to anything screen related for a number of years. When the 4K televisions start coming around in 2015 they will have just caught up to the iPad screen.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had my iPad 3 for two weeks or so.
Overall, I would not recommend iPad 2 users to upgrade. Upgrading from the iPad 1 to the iPad 2 was well worth it to me, but
I'm not getting that feeling from 2 -> 3

The higher res screen is nice, but not worth the upgrade. Apps don't open faster, etc.

For someone who has an iPad 1 or none, I would recommend to get the iPad 3.

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I beg to differ! If you are disappointed with the iPad 3 retina screen with four times the information capability of the iPad 2 screen then no screen will ever come up to your standards so be prepared for a lot of disappointment. Any screen advancement for tablets from this point will be only incremental.
It's already been shown that the iPad 3 screen is one of the most color accurate screens available now.

There will not be any four times increase to anything screen related for a number of years. When the 4K televisions start coming around in 2015 they will have just caught up to the iPad screen.

I think you misinterpreted my intent. I love the new screen. It's amazing. But the resolution difference from the old screen to the new screen is not worth the price of upgrading IMO. I also think the old screen is stellar. I am by no means dissappointed in the new screen. It's just that if that's the only reason someone is upgrading I'm afraid they may be dissappointed. For the size of the ipad I believe the old resolution is completely satisfactory IMO.

Now if we want to talk color instead of resolution I'm amazed by the new iPad. The colors are unreal.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
XDRoX said:
I think you misinterpreted my intent. I love the new screen. It's amazing. But the resolution difference from the old screen to the new screen is not worth the price of upgrading IMO. I also think the old screen is stellar. I am by no means dissappointed in the new screen. It's just that if that's the only reason someone is upgrading I'm afraid they may be dissappointed. For the size of the ipad I believe the old resolution is completely satisfactory IMO.

Now if we want to talk color instead of resolution I'm amazed by the new iPad. The colors are unreal.

Yes, I did misinterpret a bit. I realize you are only talking about the upgrade from iPad 2 to 3. In that case if you have an iPad 2 then a 3 will not blow you away. Agreed.

LaDeGray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I changed from 2 to 3. Sold my old iPad 2 for $500 and bought the 4G 64gb iPad 3. I love the display, but hate the battery. I think iPad 1 had the best battery life of the 3. I also like the 4g feature, which I didn't have before. If I had it to do over, I would still sell the 2 and buy the 3.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

tomthbomb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, let's quantify the discusstion please. Which was the largest leap forward?:

a. iPad1 to iPad2

b. iPad2 to iPad3

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually an interesting question. IMO the greatest leap was from the 2 to the 3.

Most reactions

Latest posts