What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 update trouble

baha2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello I have an ipad 2 wifi with iOS 7.1.2 jailbroken and am trying to update to latest ios 8.1
Every time I update via iTunes it fails on download saying error 9006 make sure your settings are correct and your network settings are active.
I have turned off avg but still won't work.
Also trying to update via the ipad itself will not work.
Please help ?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You say you are trying to update to iOS 8.1 and that is where your issue is. Apple has stopped signing iOS 8.1 and now the only iOS you can upgrade to is iOS 8.1.1.

So, try using that iOS and see how that works for you. Good luck and holler back if you need more.

Marilyn

P.S. And, since you talk about a jail broken device, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

OP
B

baha2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to upgrade to the latest version what ever that currently is.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My bad. I didn't see the part where you were trying to have iTunes do the download. So, it sounds as if you'll have to install the iOS 8.1.1 manually.

So, go to this forum link and download the IPSW file for iOS 8.1.1 (make sure to get the correct file for your version of iPad): http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-for-ipad.24939/

Once you have the file, follow the steps outlined here: http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/t...-to-restore-the-current-version-of-ios.52863/

Hopefully, that will sort it out for you.

Marilyn

OP
B

baha2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried this also and it says the file I am using is not compatible with my ipad but I have checked and it is the right one.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried this also and it says the file I am using is not compatible with my ipad but I have checked and it is the right one.
If you're getting that error message, you've used the wrong update file for your iPad. Are you sure you chose an iOS 8.1.1 update file and not an iOS 8.1 file? Only the iOS 8.1.1 update file for your iPad 2 model will work. You'll get the error message if you try to use any other version.

OP
B

baha2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I will have a look tonight but I am sure it is the lattest one.

OP
B

baha2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have downloaded the latest fw snd itunes says its not compatible ?

OP
B

baha2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
also i have put ipad in dfu mode and tried system restore and that also fails.Really stuck on this one.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are two versions for the Wi-Fi only iPad 2: Wi-Fi only Hardware revision A, and Wi-Fi only. I just want to make sure that you downloaded the right one.

OP
B

baha2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
would changing the download location for the fw in itunes work ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
At this point I think you should consider the possibility of a hardware problem. If you live close enough to an Apple Store you should consider making a Genius Bar appointment to see if a full diagnostic can discover the problem.

OP
B

baha2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There must be something silly I have not done.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There must be something silly I have not done.
How was your internet connection while the update was taking place. A good internet connection is required when the update is being installed on the iPad as part of the update procedure is an online verification with Apple servers. If the update cannot be verified it will fail.

Most reactions

Latest posts