What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPAD2 IOS 7 Update problem

dropdeadneat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My first post but hope you can help me. Thanks in advance for the site and for sharing your experience.

This is what i have guys:
iPad2 WiFi 16GB A1395 (Jailbroken) on 6.1.2
Am trying to update to iOS 7 via iTunes 11.1.5, start iTunes - plug in iPad - get told an update is available - click on backup button - then click on update button - starts to extract files etc to update - then error message appears at the same time as the iPad2 goes in to recovery mode(apple icon with lead) - what a bummer!!!
Then try to update via IPSW file (various versions) and am told that the iPad and IPSW versions do not match so cannot update. Another bummer!!!!
Tried to use TinyUmbrella but it did not like the setup for some reason and aborted install. Yet another bummer!!!!!
My bum is now sore and fedup.
I now have an iPad2 which works in isolation as it doesn't like iTunes and doesn't update either.
Can someone please - please help me out here!!!???.

OP
D

dropdeadneat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

The description of the process can be found in the very first post. There's also valuable information in the following posts.

Thanks alot J.A., looks like a long excercise but i'll try it when i get home. Have you a link to a detailed understanding of changing the hosts file. I am able to edit it but i would like to know specifically how it will relate to Apple stuff. Might not need to worry about this though as i have just recently rebuilt my PC for Windows 8.1. Would this rebuild have implications around the problem i'm having?. What do you think!?.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My first post but hope you can help me. Thanks in advance for the site and for sharing your experience.

This is what i have guys:
iPad2 WiFi 16GB A1395 (Jailbroken) on 6.1.2
Am trying to update to iOS 7 via iTunes 11.1.5, start iTunes - plug in iPad - get told an update is available - click on backup button - then click on update button - starts to extract files etc to update - then error message appears at the same time as the iPad2 goes in to recovery mode(apple icon with lead) - what a bummer!!!
Then try to update via IPSW file (various versions) and am told that the iPad and IPSW versions do not match so cannot update. Another bummer!!!!
Tried to use TinyUmbrella but it did not like the setup for some reason and aborted install. Yet another bummer!!!!!
My bum is now sore and fedup.
I now have an iPad2 which works in isolation as it doesn't like iTunes and doesn't update either.
Can someone please - please help me out here!!!???.

The first question I have is: To which version of iOS 7 are you trying to go? The only iOS you can upgrade an iPad 2 with is iOS 7.1. And that iOS version is not jail breakable at this time (and probably never).

We cannot upgrade to an iOS that is not being signed by Apple (read: the most current).

when you first tried the upgrade with iTunes, was it iOS 7.1 that iTunes was telling you to upgrade too?

Marilyn

P.S. And, since you talk about a jail broken iPad, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

OP
D

dropdeadneat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first question I have is: To which version of iOS 7 are you trying to go? The only iOS you can upgrade an iPad 2 with is iOS 7.1. And that iOS version is not jail breakable at this time (and probably never).

We cannot upgrade to an iOS that is not being signed by Apple (read: the most current).

when you first tried the upgrade with iTunes, was it iOS 7.1 that iTunes was telling you to upgrade too?

Marilyn

P.S. And, since you talk about a jail broken iPad, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

Hi Marylin, the update is from 6.1.2 to IOS 7.1 which is the one that iTunes is telling me is available. It seems then that i will have to restore the pad before i can go to iOS7. If i do this though will i have to repurchase all my apps?.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Marylin, the update is from 6.1.2 to IOS 7.1 which is the one that iTunes is telling me is available. It seems then that i will have to restore the pad before i can go to iOS7. If i do this though will i have to repurchase all my apps?.

To start with reassurances - no, you won't have to re-purchase your apps. Once you buy an app in the AppStore, it's yours. And, 99.9% of the time [/random statistic :)], upgrades are free. So, when you download the app to your newly restored (to iOS 7.1) iPad, you'll get the updated app. So, nothing's lost ... and you'll see some improvements too, to include getting apps that were only for iOS 7.

OP
D

dropdeadneat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To start with reassurances - no, you won't have to re-purchase your apps. Once you buy an app in the AppStore, it's yours. And, 99.9% of the time [/random statistic :)], upgrades are free. So, when you download the app to your newly restored (to iOS 7.1) iPad, you'll get the updated app. So, nothing's lost ... and you'll see some improvements too, to include getting apps that were only for iOS 7.

Thanks mickey330, too much reading articles on the net led me to ask the question i'm afraid. Thanks for the reassurance. I am really keen to get on to IOS7.1 so hope i can get this problem bottomed out. Thanks for the help, any other comments or advise will be welcome, constructive though.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oops! I hit the Send button by accident. Here's what was supposed to be in my last post:

As you said that you had troubles the first time (when you tried to restore/upgrade using iTunes), may I suggest you restore/upgrade this way:

(1) Download the iOS 7.1 IPSW (here's a link I use; sorry I haven't updated the links we keep here on the forum: Download iOS 7.1 Final IPSW For iPhone And iPad [Direct Download links] | Redmond Pie)

(2) Make a fresh backup of the iPad with iTunes, then close iTunes.

(3) Put your iPad into DFU mode (if you don't know how, see here: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html

(4) Then, with the iPad in DFU mode, open iTunes.

(5) Accept the iTunes prompt that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode. Then, press and hold the shift button and click on the Restore button. A Windows Explorer window will open - find and select the IPSW file you downloaded in step (1)

(6) Then sit back while iTunes does its magic. At some point, you will get the option to restore as new or from a backup. It's your choice...but restoring from backup puts all your settings and data back onto the iPad.

Then, iTunes will finish and you will then have an iodate running iOS 7.1.

Hope this helps. Holler if you need more clarification.

Marilyn

OP
D

dropdeadneat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think i tried this and the pad went in to recovery some way through the process which is really the nub of the problem. I will try again at home.

OP
D

dropdeadneat

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Marilyn

Hi Mickey330, Well things move on, i have now got iOS 7.1 installed on the iPAd using the manual install route - via the desktop. The Comodo AV software was blocking comms so i needed to turn this off temporarily to avoid the Error(3014).
It was done using iTunes and using the shift key with Restore iPad combination and selecting the file on my PC desktop. Even though the pad was JB'd the iOS 7.1 did update.

The issue i now need to resolve is why does iTunes take so long to sync with the iPad with 7.1 installed?. Any thought's on this?.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Mickey330, Well things move on, i have now got iOS 7.1 installed on the iPAd using the manual install route - via the desktop. The Comodo AV software was blocking comms so i needed to turn this off temporarily to avoid the Error(3014).
It was done using iTunes and using the shift key with Restore iPad combination and selecting the file on my PC desktop. Even though the pad was JB'd the iOS 7.1 did update.

The issue i now need to resolve is why does iTunes take so long to sync with the iPad with 7.1 installed?. Any thought's on this?.

Try relogging into your AppleID in iTunes. Click on Store > Authorize This Computer, and enter your AppleID again.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yay! Glad you got it sorted. Bummer you lost the jail break, but glad you got it all fixed to get the iPad running on iOS 7.1.

And I don't know the answer about syncing with iTunes. I only use iTunes as a repository for my apps and backups, so I don't sync with it. I only "transfer purchases" and make a backup. I don't sync songs, books, movies, etc.

Hopefully, it was a one-time thing with your initial load of iOS 7.1 (if you used the backup). Or, doing what willerz2 suggested fixes it. Sorry, but I've got nothing.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts