What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 or Mini?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For a four year old child, what do you think? iPad 2 or Mini? Why?

Tnx.

Probably the iPad mini, on account of it's smaller size. Make sure to put it into a good case, such as an Otterbox Defender. I use one on mine and it doesn't add much bulk. You don't want a broken iPad when your child drops it.

D

dvdcatalyst

For a four year old child, what do you think? iPad 2 or Mini? Why?

Tnx.

An iPad Mini would be great if the child would be holding it, but at 4 years, it will likely be used on a surface (floor) right in front of the child, and then the larger ipad2 would be better imho. A bit heavier so a bit more sturdy.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whichever iPad you decide on, make sure to use a good case, in case it's accidentally dropped.

D

dvdcatalyst

+1 for the case, and a good screen protector as well. It will likely get some abuse from the floor and toys.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Mini, because it's so much lighter. That means if dropped it's less likely to be damaged, cased or not. The low price doesn't hurt, either.

My wife just got a Mini, and if my eyes were better I'd sell my 3 and get a Mini myself.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Small seems like the natural choice for children, but there is a reason why most things made for pre-schoolers are larger than normal. The fine motor skills we take for granted the majority of our lives take time to develop.

I'm not saying the larger iPad is a must. There are many points in favor of the smaller device in the preceding posts; however you should consider your own child's motor skills and decide whether he or she will be able to use the smaller device without undo frustration when tapping and manipulating the smaller targets on the screen.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I hate getting frustrated with undo. Especially if the app doesn't offer that command. ;)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I hate getting frustrated with undo. Especially if the app doesn't offer that command. ;)

If you are entering text, in just about any app, tap the .?123 key. the X and Y keys are replaced by an undo key.

Only works for text, of course.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Perhaps the winkie emoticon needs to be a little larger.

BTW, if I open a post in its own window, all the emoticons change, often into different ones entirely.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Perhaps the winkie emoticon needs to be a little larger.

BTW, if I open a post in its own window, all the emoticons change, often into different ones entirely.

Or I need to be paying more attention when I read. :)

While the emoticons and emoji codes are fairly standard, the icons that represent them are more like a font. They can change depending on what app or site is displaying them. I don't know what is different when viewing the post in it's own window (in the iPDF app I assume), but that is probably at the root of the issue.

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can tell you that my son has both and far prefers the mini. He's 4 years old.

Lozzy_B

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think ipad mini would be good because of its size, but not so great for watching tv programmes on etc. I would go with iPad 2 personally.

Most reactions

Latest posts