What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2, or 3?

Shumax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking into an iPad for the following:

Email, Music, work applications, websurfing, etc. I have a Blackberry now that provides mobile hotspot 3G coverage rather well for my needs. I will eventually be upgrading to the iPhone 5 in the future.

I'm debating b/t the iPad 2 and 3 and here are my thoughts:
  • I don't think I need more than 16GB as I don't have a lot to be stored and I was planning to use the cloud for my music. I assume I can do that? Am I missing something that would require more space?
  • I don't download a lot of videos; frankly, hardly any at all.
  • I don't think I'll buy the data plan since I have the access through my BB now. I realize it may not be quite as fast and may drain the battery a bit more, but I don't really want to incur the cost of another data plan.
  • No data plan means no true GPS function. Not sure I care as I have a GPS in my car and on my BB now.
Given the above, I just can't decide if the iPad 3 is worth the extra cost. As I see it, having a better display is nice and so is having Siry. The camera doesn't concern me. So, is it worth the extra money to have the "3?" Future resale would also be better with the "3," too.

What are your thoughts?
Shumax

breadman03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm happy with my iPad 2. I would only plan on upgrading if I needed a better camera or if I needed the data service, since my iPad is wifi only. I don't count on resale value because I keep my stuff until it is junk or just cannot serve my needs anymore.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

You do not need a sim to access GPS on a 3G iPad.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shumax said:
Please explain...

Whilst GPS is only on a 4G/3G iPad it has nothing to do with the sim, the GPS circuitry is built into the mobile circuitry so that the GPS will function independently of the sim card.

The Archangel

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and good luck on your decision!

Keep us posted on how ya decide ;)...

OP
S

Shumax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whilst GPS is only on a 4G/3G iPad it has nothing to do with the sim, the GPS circuitry is built into the mobile circuitry so that the GPS will function independently of the sim card.

The Archangel

So, will it work with a WIFI, only, model?

ileah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad 3 is great. i had same issue at the store deciding which is better. took me 45 mins lol to figure out ill just get ipad 3. good luck

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shumax said:
So, will it work with a WIFI, only, model?

No, I'm afraid it won't although you can have some success depending on how many towers are in the area you are.
The GPS chip is only in 3G/4G models but you don't need a sim to access it. I use it all the time without a sim or Internet connection at all, just great if you like exploring new areas.

Last edited:

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking into an iPad for the following:

Email, Music, work applications, websurfing, etc. I have a Blackberry now that provides mobile hotspot 3G coverage rather well for my needs. I will eventually be upgrading to the iPhone 5 in the future.

I'm debating b/t the iPad 2 and 3 and here are my thoughts:
  • I don't think I need more than 16GB as I don't have a lot to be stored and I was planning to use the cloud for my music. I assume I can do that? Am I missing something that would require more space?
  • I don't download a lot of videos; frankly, hardly any at all.
  • I don't think I'll buy the data plan since I have the access through my BB now. I realize it may not be quite as fast and may drain the battery a bit more, but I don't really want to incur the cost of another data plan.
  • No data plan means no true GPS function. Not sure I care as I have a GPS in my car and on my BB now.
Given the above, I just can't decide if the iPad 3 is worth the extra cost. As I see it, having a better display is nice and so is having Siry. The camera doesn't concern me. So, is it worth the extra money to have the "3?" Future resale would also be better with the "3," too.

What are your thoughts?
Shumax

The new iPad does not have Siri. You were most likely referring to the voice dictation feature.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I've said before in previous similar threads... I've yet to hear someone say 'darn, I wish I had less storage space on my ipad!'
or the phrase, 'I sure wish this screen was lower resolution..'
Nope, just never heard it...

so my advice would be get as good as you can afford without breaking the bank... if you're going to go hungry for the next few months because of this purchase perhaps you should rethink your priorities...

Sargon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many of us go through this struggle. My wife always accuses me of driving the poor salespeople crazy.

My approach to electronics is that if you plan to keep it for a while buy the best you can afford since it will be out of date when you take the shrinkwrap off and you may as well get the best available now.

Most reactions

Latest posts