What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taking the plunge and buying an iPad 2 with wifi and 3G.

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After doing an Apple "chat" I found out that if I want to buy an iPad 2 from them online, it will come without a micro sim card. Since I live in the country, I don't care to drive 30 miles to the next AT&T store to get one. With Verizon I was told that I had to call them first to be able to connect. What's the matter with these people? I buy online because it's a lot more convenient.

When I bought my Kindle last year with wifi and 3G, I could get online without trouble and order books, etc.

Anyway, the Chat person at AT&T had an Indian name but he answered ALL my question and I decided to buy an iPad 2 directly from them.

With the 2GB data plan for $25 and $10 for each additional GB I should be able to survive.
Since there's no wifi or BB where I live (you hear me Obama?) I'm using a Virgin Mobile BB modem with the now extinct unlimited data plan for $40 a month whenever I want to. Need to top off every month. I got one bar and speeds from 230 Kbps to 1 Mbps according to my Windows Task Manager.

I hope the iPad will be as "fast" even though I don't know what the AT&T signal will be. But then I have a chance to return it within 15 days.
Question: Those of you who have iPad2 with 2GB data what do you pay over and above the $25/month?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I can't help you with your question as I live in Australia but sit tight and someone will.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I checked around and although I'll find out for sure when I see the bill, it seems that with fees and all the extra charges these hyenas add, there will be a 20% surcharge so that the $25/mo for 2GB will actually amount to $30. What happened to Truth in Advertising. The problem in the USA is the lack of competition...

helix2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are some apps that will not download via 3G but looks for Wifi connection. The Ipad will give you a message about needing the Wifi link for an app. Good luck with your new IPAD. Verizon does not use a sim card while AT&T does. Verizon should have said they activate the unit prior to sending it out. AT&T could use the business. LOL. Again good luck. You should be able to check the data coverage on the AT&T website.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I checked around and although I'll find out for sure when I see the bill, it seems that with fees and all the extra charges these hyenas add, there will be a 20% surcharge so that the $25/mo for 2GB will actually amount to $30. What happened to Truth in Advertising. The problem in the USA is the lack of competition...

It can depend on whether you buy a pre-paid or post-paid data plan.

I've had grandfathered monthly unlimited from AT&T since April 2010 (debut of iPad 1) and have never paid a cent over the advertised $29.99. It's billed automatically monthly, until I decide to cancel.

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It can depend on whether you buy a pre-paid or post-paid data plan.

I've had grandfathered monthly unlimited from AT&T since April 2010 (debut of iPad 1) and have never paid a cent over the advertised $29.99. It's billed automatically monthly, until I decide to cancel.

Too bad they don't offer that anymore. Mine will be billed automatically too unless I cancel. Here's hoping...

Most reactions

Latest posts