What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi from West Yorkshire, UK

DarkRavenMoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I already own an iPhone 4s and have wanted an iPad for a while now - imagine my surprise when I woke up Christmas morning to find my partner had bought me a brand new iPad 2 :)

I have gone for the wifi version as I really couldn't see the point of paying for another data plan on top of my iPhone. So far am loving everything about it except two small things. The first is that most of my original apps that I'd previously purchased are only for my iPhone meaning they look nasty when magnified on the iPad.. Small gripe I know but grrr... Second, my TomTom sat nav will not get a satellite fix at all and it seems from the information i have read that without a data connection it won't work at all! This is annoying to say the least as I would have thought a data plan wouldn't have been required since all the maps are installed locally and the unit still has GPS functionallity...

One thing I am looking forward to is getting an Ar.Drone Quadcopter and using my iPad to fly it :)

Anyway, I'm glad that I've found a decent forum for any/all future questions that might crop up along the way.

Bri

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there Bri and welcome.

Unfortunately the wifi only iPad doesn't have GPS so TomTom won't work (accurately anyway) with your iPad, only the 3G iPads have built in GPS.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend. If you can't find the answer you need and you post a question then give as much info as you can to help members help you i.e. iPad 1 or 2, iOS version and name of app if the problem is with a specific app........and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. The link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

You can download the manual for your iPad here http://support.apple.com/manuals/ and in iBooks search for "iPad user guide for" and you will find free comprehensive manuals for both iOS 4 and 5.

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/

Finally, if you still haven't had enough, how about a video explaining about our other forums (note:you may want to play this at half speed but hey, why shouldn't Phil be excited about our forums!)

The Archangel

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
DarkRavenMoon

DarkRavenMoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Gabriel1 and thanks for the great reply ;)

Gabriel1 said:
Hi there Bri and welcome.

Unfortunately the wifi only iPad doesn't have GPS so TomTom won't work (accurately anyway) with your iPad, only the 3G iPads have built in GPS.

Just one question, if my iPad 2 doesn't have GPS how does the maps app find my position?

Look at me! Just joined and already causing a fuss hehe :p

Cheers

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, this has been the subject of much discussion on these forums......from memory, it uses locations of known and accessible wifi points but I'd have to do a bit of searching to confirm it, it is nowhere near as accurate as GPS.

The Archangel

OP
DarkRavenMoon

DarkRavenMoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ahh ok, that's a real shame tho as my iPad fits just right over the dash of my car too :( Bugger...

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW, West Yorkshire is a lovely part of the world, I have spent a lot of time in that part of the world.

The Archangel

OP
DarkRavenMoon

DarkRavenMoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup I like it :) by the way, is there an easier way to reply to posts in the app than clicking on the down arrow and selecting "Quote", then deleting the quoted text before writing my reply? - the web version of the forum has a reply button but it seems the app doesn't...

Bri

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DarkRavenMoon said:
Yup I like it :) by the way, is there an easier way to reply to posts in the app than clicking on the down arrow and selecting "Quote", then deleting the quoted text before writing my reply? - the web version of the forum has a reply button but it seems the app doesn't...

Bri

Here is one I made earlier which shows how to reply

The Archangel

Attachments

• image-2656127354.png
    image-2656127354.png
    320 KB · Views: 233

Most reactions

Latest posts