What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 battery life

htowngator

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I am just wondering how long the battery life is meant to last as I have disabled ping, used the calender but I have been playing some games one of which is dead space so it uses graphics

All in all 3 hours maximum, maybe around 2.5 hours and my battery is at 58% (oh I have things running in the background and full brightness)

Is this normal (never had an iPad before so just want to double check)

Cheers :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF
I took a workshop at an Apple Store last week. The instructor said that when you close the "smart cover" programs running in the background continue to run. To stop this you have to shut down the IPad with the switch. They also said not to leave Ipad charging overnight as this will reduce the number of charge cycles over the life of the battery. Charge when below 20%. Normally the battery should be good for over 1000 charge cycles. Hope any of this helps.

Interesting post. Was this instructor an Apple employee? To stop programs from running the background you just have to shut down the app, not turn off the iPad.

I never turn off my iPad ~ except I let it drain completely around once a month ~ I think Apple tells you this in the manual. And I always charge my iPad at night all night over night.
Yea, I'm not sure why people still think having it plugged in is hurting the battery. This isn't the 90's where rechargeables were made from NiCad and had horrible memory if you didn't discharge completely and recharge completely the remove from power. Nowadays they have charging technology plus nearly memoryless batteries (LiIon) which can't really be overcharged.

cemturc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took a workshop at an Apple Store last week. The instructor said that when you close the "smart cover" programs running in the background continue to run. To stop this you have to shut down the IPad with the switch. They also said not to leave Ipad charging overnight as this will reduce the number of charge cycles over the life of the battery. Charge when below 20%. Normally the battery should be good for over 1000 charge cycles. Hope any of this helps.

Interesting post. Was this instructor an Apple employee? To stop programs from running the background you just have to shut down the app, not turn off the iPad.

I never turn off my iPad ~ except I let it drain completely around once a month ~ I think Apple tells you this in the manual. And I always charge my iPad at night all night over night.
Yea, I'm not sure why people still think having it plugged in is hurting the battery. This isn't the 90's where rechargeables were made from NiCad and had horrible memory if you didn't discharge completely and recharge completely the remove from power. Nowadays they have charging technology plus nearly memoryless batteries (LiIon) which can't really be overcharged.

so how to explain a increase of battery usage about 30% i a sigle day. everything i do is identique everyday.

ColemanLee09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wytey said:
don't over charge, and don't run the battery completely down

but to be honest, if I remember correctly, the battery in the iPad is huge, so should last a long time regardless of how you charge it

With today's batteries and technology, batteries won't over charge. It stops when it is full. Also, it is to your advantage to run the battery down as low as a possible. A battery only last for so many charges before needing replacement. Also you should use the full capable of the battery, not just charging it every time you get to 40% for example. That will definitely make your iPad hold less juice.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF.

cemturc

iPF Noob
Reaction score

so how to explain a increase of battery usage about 30% i a sigle day. everything i do is identique everyday.

I have just realized something. The only difference that I made in my ipad2 is the iOS. I upgraded to 4.3.2.

May 4.3.2 consume more battery than the 4.3.1??? Can it be the rason?

And also, my ipad2 is being fully charged in 3-3,5 hours? While it was taking more than 4 hours..

Williebye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ColemanLee09 said:
With today's batteries and technology, batteries won't over charge. It stops when it is full. Also, it is to your advantage to run the battery down as low as a possible. A battery only last for so many charges before needing replacement. Also you should use the full capable of the battery, not just charging it every time you get to 40% for example. That will definitely make your iPad hold less juice.

I use an app called "Battery Doctor". It works on iTouch as well as iPad. It recommends to do a full cycle charge once a month but to let the battery drain below 20% first. If you are worried about overnight charging it will alarm (your choice) to let you know charging is complete and to disconnect. It also keeps a record of all your charging and where the battery level was when you began charging. It also classifies the type of charge. Regular or Full Cycle. Of course you have to turn on the app either before plugging in or just after. There are plenty of tips on battery care as well.

ColemanLee09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Williebye said:
I use an app called "Battery Doctor". It works on iTouch as well as iPad. It recommends to do a full cycle charge once a month but to let the battery drain below 20% first. If you are worried about overnight charging it will alarm (your choice) to let you know charging is complete and to disconnect. It also keeps a record of all your charging and where the battery level was when you began charging. It also classifies the type of charge. Regular or Full Cycle. Of course you have to turn on the app either before plugging in or just after. There are plenty of tips on battery care as well.

Those apps are dangerous. Those overcharge your battery forcing it into a 20% more charge then usual. Broke an iPhone like that. Jfyi.

D_LA_ROC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ColemanLee09 said:
Those apps are dangerous. Those overcharge your battery forcing it into a 20% more charge then usual. Broke an iPhone like that. Jfyi.

Using apps that overload to run down your battery does ruin your battery quicker, but "Batery Doctor" doesn't have that feature and it's a GREAT app!

FREE MY iPAD2 

ColemanLee09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
D_LA_ROC said:
Using apps that overload to run down your battery does ruin your battery quicker, but "Batery Doctor" doesn't have that feature and it's a GREAT app!

FREE MY iPAD2 

Reading up the ratings on this app in the app store. 2/5 stars and people saying it doesn't help and is a scam just showing you the percentages. Hmmmm.

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, lots of conflicting info in this thread. I'm almost tempted to call Apple and get the straight scoop on battery charging.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dead Space

Hey I am just wondering how long the battery life is meant to last as I have disabled ping, used the calender but I have been playing some games one of which is dead space so it uses graphics

All in all 3 hours maximum, maybe around 2.5 hours and my battery is at 58% (oh I have things running in the background and full brightness)

Is this normal (never had an iPad before so just want to double check)

Cheers :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Dead Space REALLY sucks battery power! I noticed it playing last night. It's a good one though..... I'm still rubbish at aiming and shooting. The game will probably last me until the ipad 3 comes out :D

Williebye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ColemanLee09 said:

My first iTouch's battery lasted only about 8 months and would last a mere few hours before it was drained. My charging habits was at best totally random. The replacement is still running like new and it's been at least 18 months using Battery Doctor. Since Apple checks and rechecks apps sent to them I'm sure they would be very concerned that an app that had the potential of destroying their product would get extra attention. Out of 656 ratings it has been awarded 4.5 stars out of 5. Not bad as ratings go. There are a couple of apps called Battery Doctor. Here is the one I'm referring to http://www.gamelingo.net/

Last edited:

dralvarado

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem, I have my iPad at 50% brightness, use it mainly to watch movies, e mail, and internet radio. I cancel all apps that I am not using. What gives? Mine is a iPad (1) and have had it for 7 months. Is it a battery problem, it's still under warranty, should I cahnge it?

pedvonz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad1 which on standby only last 6 hours it is nearly 12 months old. I am told it will be replaced with a refurbishd iPad, with a 3 month warranty. Am I going to be getting trouble?

Most reactions

Latest posts