What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 battery life

eddkahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I am just wondering how long the battery life is meant to last as I have disabled ping, used the calender but I have been playing some games one of which is dead space so it uses graphics

All in all 3 hours maximum, maybe around 2.5 hours and my battery is at 58% (oh I have things running in the background and full brightness)

Is this normal (never had an iPad before so just want to double check)

Cheers :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No not normal at all. Your battery is draining way too fast for that little bit of time passed. At 3 hrs. It should be at about 70% or better. Around 10% battery depletion per hour. U should easily get 10 hrs or more out of your device. U have something else on or maybe ur push notifications or mail set to refresh too often. I'd keep looking into that if I were u. No reason ur iPad battery should be draining that fast, even with wifi on and playing games.
I've been using my iPad since 10:30 a.m.(100%) Very heavily, wifi on surfing web like crazy. It now 1:30p.m. 3 hrs later and my battery is honestly at 84%. See what I mean ;-)
Try cutting down the brightness if u have it set to high. I always have mines on the lowest setting and still looks bright enough for me to see during the day.

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
if you weren't playing dead space, I'd agree your battery is running out too fast.

But you're pushing full brightness and playing one of the most graphically intense games in the app store, that's completely normal.

If I play we rule or any of those games on any device, I will run out of battery faster than you can sneeze.

Some games and apps are heavier battery users.

Try a day with medium brightness and doing NORMAL things like browsing the web and playing more middle ground games to get a real idea.

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have your brightness all the way up, plus you are playing games... I would say that is normal. Turn your brightness to about the 50% mark, and then set it to auto adjust ;) When you are computing you are going to chew up more battery.

10% per hour is a good rule of thumb for activities that aren't data or processing intensive. Browsing the internet, watching media, reading, etc etc.

OP
E

eddkahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have your brightness all the way up, plus you are playing games... I would say that is normal. Turn your brightness to about the 50% mark, and then set it to auto adjust ;) When you are computing you are going to chew up more battery.

10% per hour is a good rule of thumb for activities that aren't data or processing intensive. Browsing the internet, watching media, reading, etc etc.

I generally turn the sensor off.
doesn't the actual sensor use battery?

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my iPad 2 on Friday and I am a little worried about the battery life on mine too.

From getting it Friday and playing over the weekend a Monday I managed to run down to 3%, which considering how much syncing and playing around I was doing I guess that is ok.

More worrying though is I fully charged it last night and I have literally only been using it very lightly - looking at a few pictures, showing off to friends and it has dropped to 97% already with only about 10 mins use.

I have auto brightness turned on & 3G off. I updated to the 4.3.1 last night.

Is this normal?

Thanks

D_LA_ROC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea, brightness drains your battery quickly if you have it all the way up. I keep mine very slightly above 50%.

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Think about it, using the iPad runs about 10% per hour doing whatever.

That's 10 hours of battery life.

If you think about it, 3% isn't that crazy, and probably isn't perfectly indicative of real life usage.

Try it again. You'll probably see about 10% per hour.

Breitling65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I am just wondering how long the battery life is meant to last as I have disabled ping, used the calender but I have been playing some games one of which is dead space so it uses graphics

All in all 3 hours maximum, maybe around 2.5 hours and my battery is at 58% (oh I have things running in the background and full brightness)

I did test mine ipad2 watching Netflix and browsing web all day long. I lasts over 10 hours, I am very happy. Don't look on this indicator, discharge iPad 2-3 times completely and will hold better.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think about it, using the iPad runs about 10% per hour doing whatever.

That's 10 hours of battery life.

If you think about it, 3% isn't that crazy, and probably isn't perfectly indicative of real life usage.

Try it again. You'll probably see about 10% per hour.

I will see how it goes, but I have to admit I can get a bit obsessed about battery life.

I turned off the autobrightness and it dimmed a lot from the auto brightness setting, so I am not convinced that function is working :confused:

Breitling65

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I did test mine ipad2 watching Netflix and browsing web all day long. It lasts over 10 hours, I am very happy. Don't look on this indicator, discharge iPad 2-3 times completely and will hold better.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have done a quick test and my auto brightness setting isn’t working.

When I un-tick that option and turn the screen brightness up to full, then switch to auto brightness there is no change in brightness at all even when I cover & uncover the sensor.

Currently I have it set manually half way and I will see how that goes.

Not sure if this is a software or hardware problem L

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Breitling65 said:
I did test mine ipad2 watching Netflix and browsing web all day long. It lasts over 10 hours, I am very happy. Don't look on this indicator, discharge iPad 2-3 times completely and will hold better.

I looked for netflx on itunes app page and my search only brought up one app for the ipod!
Any link to it or has it a different name?
S

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Breitling65 said:

I looked for netflx on itunes app page and my search only brought up one app for the ipod!
Any link to it or has it a different name?
S

As the previous poster suggested, Netflix is only available in the US because of copyright issues. In addition, even if you have the Netflix app on your iPad you cannot access from outside the US - the app checks your IP address; while this is not an absolute guarantee that the user is in the US (and it sometimes wrongly identifies someone as being outside the US when they are, in fact, inside the US) it works reasonably well. So this means that US citizens on vacation overseas cannot use Netflix from the beaches of bleak and cold Scotland to watch their favourite movies ......

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts