What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 - 4 use Overseas

vinvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear Poncotop and Tim,

Thank you for your quick response. Highly appreciated.

Now I do understand that it is not necessary to activate the 3G in USA.

Have a nice weekend ....

vinvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for asking the same question.
I leave in Indonesia (Asia) and have my brother in USA bought iPad2 3G a couple weeks ago. I am not sure is it verizon or AT & T.
Please kindly advice if the 3G will work well in Indonesia without activate it in USA.

Your reply is higly appreciated ...

The Verizon iPad will not work in Indonesia. Verizon uses the CDMA protocol that only works in the US and a very few other countries. AT&T use the GSM protocol that works almost anywhere - including Indonesia.

Tim

Tim,

As I live in indonesia, so I am not pretty sure if Verizon is cdma. And i don't know if my brother bought AT&T or Verizon. So my question is verizon really CDMA ?

Thanks a lot.

confuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi everyone,
I live in the philippines and had a chance go to hongkong and canada
im getting an Ipad 2 soon. (3rd week of June).

i dont have credit card to buy apps..

question 1, if i can get an itunes gift card from canada, will it work if i open an itunes in philippines?

2. if i open an itunes account in Hongkong can i Use a friends credit card to purchase apps? (she had an canadian itunes account and cant buy in american Itune store)

3. can i open philippines itune account and get the store buy me apps? but then i cant get other apps from other country?.. or all the apps is worldwide?..

help, please
confuse

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gift cards can only be used in the country store in which they are purchased. This is stated on the fine print when you purchase one

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for asking the same question.
I leave in Indonesia (Asia) and have my brother in USA bought iPad2 3G a couple weeks ago. I am not sure is it verizon or AT & T.
Please kindly advice if the 3G will work well in Indonesia without activate it in USA.

Your reply is higly appreciated ...

The Verizon iPad will not work in Indonesia. Verizon uses the CDMA protocol that only works in the US and a very few other countries. AT&T use the GSM protocol that works almost anywhere - including Indonesia.

Tim

Tim,

As I live in indonesia, so I am not pretty sure if Verizon is cdma. And i don't know if my brother bought AT&T or Verizon. So my question is verizon really CDMA ?

Thanks a lot.

Verizon is definitely CDMA - no doubt about it!

Tim

confuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gift cards can only be used in the country store in which they are purchased. This is stated on the fine print when you purchase one

hi thewit,

thanks, so when i bring my ipad2 in canada and purchase gift card there then it will work?.. i will used the card while im canada? even my ipad is bought in philippines...

poncotop

iPF Noob
Reaction score

hi thewit,

thanks, so when i bring my ipad2 in canada and purchase gift card there then it will work?.. i will used the card while im canada? even my ipad is bought in philippines...

hi there...

if you bought a gift card from a certain country, it doesn't matter where you use it, as long as you have an itunes account that is from the same countrynas your Gift Card.

i once bought a US gift card, before i use it, i asked my friend that lived in the US to make me a US itunes account. then, i just logged in to itunes using that US account, and redeemed the code that's on the gift card.

after that i can directly downloaded the software that i need, even though i lived a long way from US, which is Indonesia...

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess I should have said gift cards can only be used in the iTunes store for the country they were purchased in. I bought some in the US store and gave as gifts to friends in Malaysia. They were unable to use them because their iTunes accounts were in the Malaysia iTunes store.

Though I am living in Malaysia my iTunes account is in the US iTunes store.

To have a US iTunes account you need a credit card with a US billing address...

-t

poncotop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I should have said gift cards can only be used in the iTunes store for the country they were purchased in. I bought some in the US store and gave as gifts to friends in Malaysia. They were unable to use them because their iTunes accounts were in the Malaysia iTunes store.

Though I am living in Malaysia my iTunes account is in the US iTunes store.

To have a US iTunes account you need a credit card with a US billing address...

-t

yeah i know, that's why i said you'll need a friend that can make you a US itunes account (or maybe lend it to you) ;););)

and that what friends are for, rite...???
;););)

confuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks guys,

can i use 2 or more itunes account? 1 in every country?.. ah billing address? hmm

i have read in one website that a shop in hongkong can open a US itunes account and buy girft card from them. it cost more though than buying in US, but its good enough!..
other thing is that US itune store gives more variety games and apps, than other stores,

or ask freind to "gift to me" then pay for it to them, makes life easier..technically.

and just get a philippines itune store..

jejui

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
My understanding is that a U.S.-purchased iPad has to be activated at least once on the U.S. micro-SIM card in the U.S., before you can use it with a non-U.S. micro-SIM card. So essentially, you need to buy one month of AT&T's data plan first, on your AT&T iPad, then switch to a non-U.S. micro-SIM card.

That sucks for visitors who bought iPads in the U.S. and then took them home without ever activating their iPads in the U.S. From what I've read, those people discovered on returning home that they couldn't get their iPads to connect to any 3G. The situation might have changed since I read about the problem, or Apple might have offered a work-around, or others might have figured out one. So maybe someone will come along with a better answer on the thread.

I Live outside the US and I wonder if buying an AT&T iPad 3G "used like new" that offers on Amazon or sites like this should solve the need to be activated first in the US.

Sorry if I sound a little naive, the thing is that I bought my first iPad Wifi only (1st gen.) in that condition and I couldn't tell if it was used at all.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no requirement to activate first in the US. Just replace the AT&T SIM card with one from your carrier and go

New or used iPad doesn't matter.

-t

krissu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
User confirmation: Ipad 2 3g - at&t can be used with any sim card with no req.

The title should settle it all :)
The problem was, it turned out that the foreign sim card owner (that we tested to the ipad) forgot that she has a sim card pin to it.
Once she punched in the pin, voila... it's ready to go!
So people, go get your ipad 2 3g GSM without any hestitation!!! :)

Best Regards!

Most reactions

Latest posts