What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS9 Backup

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I assume that backups are incremental except for a new software version, i.e. it updates just the changes as a backup has usually taken about 15 mins, at a guess.

When trying to do an IOS9 backup to iCloud, the iPad keeps telling me that it will complete in 3 hours. I stopped the backup a couple of times yesterday, but left it going all morning today. It now says that it has a backup on iCloud, but that 'the last backup could not be completed', under 'Back Up Now'. Both the backup on iCloud and the Back Up Now have times of 11:07am.

Not sure what to believe here, so I am going to delete the iCloud backup; do an iTunes complete backup to a PC and then try again for an iCloud backup over night.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the iTunes backups, but the iCloud backups are incremental. The first one can take a long time if you've got a lot of stuff on your iPad. The ones after that are usually done in a few minutes (unless you add a lot of stuff that day).

I'm not sure what to make of your inconsistent results report. While I'd be inclined to believe the one that says there is a backup, I'd also do what you are doing and start fresh; just to be sure. You don't want to find out a backup is bad later, when you actually need it.

I also try to do a manual backup in iTunes once a month or so (whenever I remember). While it won't be as up to date as the iCloud backup, it makes a good fall back position. Doing a Transfer Purchases at the same time means I have a local backup of my iTunes and App Store content. Another fall back position that seems like a waste of time, until it isn't.

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Backing up via iCloud in the past few days and in the next few days will be slow due to all the traffic. When the new iPhones come out it will be even slower. The best way I have found at these times when the network is jammed or you are updating a devise and or IOS is to do it by iTunes. Keep in mind when you take the time to do it via iTunes to "this computer" check off "encrypt iPhone (iPad) backup". This will allow account passwords, Health and HomeKit data to be backed up and if needed restored to the devise.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Backing up via iCloud in the past few days and in the next few days will be slow due to all the traffic. When the new iPhones come out it will be even slower. The best way I have found at these times when the network is jammed or you are updating a devise and or IOS is to do it by iTunes. Keep in mind when you take the time to do it via iTunes to "this computer" check off "encrypt iPhone (iPad) backup". This will allow account passwords, Health and HomeKit data to be backed up and if needed restored to the devise.

Just make sure you don't lose/forget the encryption password.

OP
NSquirrel

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the problem I am having is that the iPad cannot delete the old backup, of 8.4.1 and of a few days ago, hence 2.4GB is used up in iCloud.

I tried using iCloud for Windows on Windows 7 to delete the backup, which says that there is a backup there, but does not show it when I Click Storage so I cannot delete it. (I have turned off Backups on the iPad and this now says that I have no backup, but that 2.4 GB is used on the iCloud.)

I have found recent postings about this wrt ios9 beta versions but no solution.

(Btw, as posted elsewhere, I deleted my Numbers spreadsheets on iCloud to free up a bit of space for the backup, but this has deleted my spreadsheets on the iPad!)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Settings > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage (under the iCloud section). Select your device from the Backups list. Once the app list is done updating you will see a Delete Backup option at the bottom of the page.

At least that is how it is supposed to work.

iCloud documents is a separate issue. I addressed it in the other thread you mentioned.

OP
NSquirrel

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet. It took a while to find manage storage for some strange Windows or Apple reason. Anyway my backup does not show there. Apparently invisible backups may come from not completiing the backup. Hence I need to leave iCloud backup off for a few days and see what happens.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Where are you seeing a backup on the Windows computer? If it's in iTunes, that backup is separate from iCloud. It is stored locally on your computer, and no where else.

If you are seeing in Settings in iCloud.com (in a browser) then I'm not sure what is happening. However, I suspect that doing a new backup on the iPad itself should clear up an discrepancies.

If you have a second iOS device that uses the same iCloud account, keep in mind that both backups will be shown in iCloud. On the device you should see a second device where I said "select your device" in my above instructions. You can view, but not change, your backup settings for other devices by selecting them there.

OP
NSquirrel

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As others seem to have found, doing another backup doesn't help as there is not enough room in 5GB to do the backup. (The invisible backup doesn't look like a backup; just decreases the available space remaining!)

No second ios device, but if it doesn't clear in a few days, as suggested, I'll see if I can use a Mac in the reasonably local Apple store and see if accessing icloud.com from a Mac can delete the file.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was going to say, "There is no way that I know of to delete an iCloud backup from a Mac.", but double checked myself and found out I was wrong. However, it can only be done from a Mac that is set up to use that iCloud account. You use the iCloud settings in the Preferences app.

Another words, not from someone else's Mac.

Is there something similar in the iCloud Control Panel on Windows? I wouldn't know.

If there is a way to do it from icloud.com, I have not found it. If there was, then it would work equally well from a PC as a Mac.

The genius's at the Apple store may know of another method, so it's still worth going.

Good luck.

OP
NSquirrel

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Finally managed to delete or lose the invisible/ phantom backup by starting a backup and then powering down the ipad once the backup was underway. Tried doing a new backup at about 5pm. Aborted at 10pm, as it said that there was 13 minutes to go, but it had said that since about 9pm. Initiated an overnight backup, but at 7am there was nothing (last backup: never). Later, 11am, a backup appeared timed at 7.30ish am!

Apparently, according to Official | Apple Support Communities there are a lot of people with ios9 iCloud backup problems so I will trust my local pc iTunes backup for the moment until Apple resolve the problems.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good to know.

There appear to be a number of minor bugs in iOS 9. Nothing as bad as the initial version of iOS 8, but annoying anyway. Of course, most of us who jumped on the first version knew that was the risk.

The 9.0.1 update is expected within a couple of weeks, and will probably address most of these issues.

Most reactions

Latest posts