What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS8 on iPad Air - thoughts?

Goobs10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the main improvements I've noticed is the battery life. It's definitely better than it was before the update. I've been browsing the net now for 2hrs solid and the battery has only gone down by 6%. Interestingly, there are a lot of articles on the net about how battery's are draining quicker since the update. Not so on my iPad!

Also like the new predictive feature on the keyboard. Not sure what the time lapse video feature is about. Another little feature I like is the ability to change font size, I like a small font.

hoopybunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing thoughts too. I haven't updated my Air yet....holding off right now

OP
G

Goobs10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was reluctant to update as I had heard that it takes up over 5gb of space but it doesn't appear that this is the case. When I clicked on the option to update it said it was 1.2gb in size. I would say it's safe to update.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was reluctant to update as I had heard that it takes up over 5gb of space but it doesn't appear that this is the case. When I clicked on the option to update it said it was 1.2gb in size. I would say it's safe to update.
The update itself is only 1.2 GB in size but it requires the extra 5 GB for installation. This space is freed up after the upgrade but you have to clear that space on your device before the download will commence.

OP
G

Goobs10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't have to clear any space. It just installed it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't have to clear any space. It just installed it.
Did you do the update OTA or by connecting to iTunes on your computer? Apparently doing the update through iTunes doesn't require you to clear the extra space.

OP
G

Goobs10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Didn't do it through iTunes, just over the Internet.

Roger82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The update itself is only 1.2 GB in size but it requires the extra 5 GB for installation. This space is freed up after the upgrade but you have to clear that space on your device before the download will commence.
Ah yes! That makes sense now... !

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I upgraded my Air today using iTunes. (It took over an hour!) It runs fine. I haven't had any problems.

I notice that when I check Settings -> General -> About, I have 1 Gig less free space available than I did with iOS 7.

M

moparherb

I have found one change I'm not real happy with. The bookmark button is now on the left side of the menu bar (where it used to be) which I have no issues with, but once you pick a favorite the book mark drop down bar stays there. I would like to see the drop down box go away once you have picked your favorite site.

cherokee180c

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone figure out how to have Safari re-order the action items? I want to move my 1Password extension to the front and also have print visible without having to scroll to the right. It appears you can reorder it where you turn on the extensions but it doesn't seem to save my settings. It works for that session but as soon as you close Safari and reopen it they go back to the default order.

runner945

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the main improvements I've noticed is the battery life. It's definitely better than it was before the update. I've been browsing the net now for 2hrs solid and the battery has only gone down by 6%. Interestingly, there are a lot of articles on the net about how battery's are draining quicker since the update. Not so on my iPad!

Also like the new predictive feature on the keyboard. Not sure what the time lapse video feature is about. Another little feature I like is the ability to change font size, I like a small font.
My iPad Air is running like crap after the upgrade. Shitty wifi, apps don't work. I expect this crap from Microsoft. Not Apple. Looks like I'm going to get a Samsung Galaxy Tab. I'm done with Apple. This isint the first time an upgrade has pissed me off. And I've had 4 iPads! No more!

cherokee180c

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good luck with that. I have a galaxy note 8 and its a piece of junk. Apps suck, about 20% of my iOS apps don't exist at all. The others aren't tablet apps at all, but just blown up android phone apps. Only a couple are equivalent to the iOS apps. Samsung only updated software once which broke 50% of the apps, not to mention the huge security vulnerabilities. Took like 3 months for developers to fix after, because everything is hardware specific. A bunch were never fixed. Again best wishes but you'll be back after wasting your money!

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad Air is running like crap after the upgrade. Shitty wifi, apps don't work. I expect this crap from Microsoft. Not Apple. Looks like I'm going to get a Samsung Galaxy Tab. I'm done with Apple. This isint the first time an upgrade has pissed me off. And I've had 4 iPads! No more!

I don't mean to sound insensitive but, after 4 iPads and more than one upgrade, why did you choose to update to IOS 8 right away? With the servers jammed with people updating in the 1st week or so theirs bound to more problems than after the dust settles. That and its kinda nice to read reviews from other members experiences to make the decision. IMO.

Most reactions

Latest posts