What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad or MacBook air?

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pls forgive if this topic has been asked before...
My ipad2 is now almost 2 years and it has been my constant companion,reduced the use of my laptop pc to a great extent.I'm thinking of getting a new one.the soon to be released iPad :p
But I have been reading a lot about 11 inch mac air and I'm confused now.

On one hand I absolutely love the iPad and it is a great device for movies,Internet,social network,chatting,video calling which are my primary uses.
I do a bit of note /writing on my iPad using Evernote .contrary to the popular opinion I have no problem with the touch keypad.i like the auto prediction feature very much.so not having a physical keyboard is not a big thing for me.
And well the battery life : it's double the mac air.

The thing confusing me If I get the mac air im getting a full desktop OS with the portability of iPad.
It's expensive and have less battery life...AND I ALWAYS WANTED A MAC:D

What do u think is the better investment ?

rocki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi A.K

Its depens what are you doing with computer. Ipad is excellent for entertainment and regular use but if you going to do serious work then i suggest to buy air. ssd drive is fast. At home i'm regular user with ipad but at work i use laptop still with big external monitor. So it depens. Calculate your current and future needs and requirements and decide then.
Hope this advice help you.

Greetings,
Rocki

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pls forgive if this topic has been asked before...
My ipad2 is now almost 2 years and it has been my constant companion,reduced the use of my laptop pc to a great extent.I'm thinking of getting a new one.the soon to be released iPad :p
But I have been reading a lot about 11 inch mac air and I'm confused now.

On one hand I absolutely love the iPad and it is a great device for movies,Internet,social network,chatting,video calling which are my primary uses.
I do a bit of note /writing on my iPad using Evernote .contrary to the popular opinion I have no problem with the touch keypad.i like the auto prediction feature very much.so not having a physical keyboard is not a big thing for me.
And well the battery life : it's double the mac air.

The thing confusing me If I get the mac air im getting a full desktop OS with the portability of iPad.
It's expensive and have less battery life...AND I ALWAYS WANTED A MAC:D

What do u think is the better investment ?

If any iPad is already serving your needs what exactly will you get beyond that by buying a MB air?

OP
A

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If any iPad is already serving your needs what exactly will you get beyond that by buying a MB air?

Well I guess if people buy gadgets just enough for their needs most would need just a midrange android ...what would be the use of a tablet actually?basically for many it's a luxury lol

And as I said I always wanted a mac...I can't afford those retina macs and the ones I can afford are the base 13 inch pro and the 11 and 13 inch air 128 gb models...there is no sense in buying a mac pro to substitute iPad.
And if I buy a mac air with the less battery life and other disadvantages I was wondering if it's an ideal substitute for an iPad FOR ME ..JUST COZ I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A MAC...
Hope I made myself clear

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My opinion is - if you've always wanted a Mac, get the MB Air. That way, you get it out of your system. As there is no trade-in system, I see no reason why you can't keep your current iPad. Then, you'll have both.

I see no reason not to - the iPad2 is still going strong (Apple is still selling it, actually); there is no real need to replace it. So, adding to your Apple collection with the MB Air, to me, is a win-win as you'll have both.

If you can afford the MB Air - life's too short. Get it and keep the iPad2. :)

My $.02 (USD). :)

Marilyn

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
An usual, Marilyn, your 2 cents is worth at least twice that. You just convinced me. A MacBook Air has to join my collection of toys. I'm still 100% satisfied with my iPad 2, so it's win-win for me too.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
My opinion is - if you've always wanted a Mac, get the MB Air. That way, you get it out of your system. As there is no trade-in system, I see no reason why you can't keep your current iPad. Then, you'll have both.

I see no reason not to - the iPad2 is still going strong (Apple is still selling it, actually); there is no real need to replace it. So, adding to your Apple collection with the MB Air, to me, is a win-win as you'll have both.

Marilyn

I agree totally. I have a MacBook Air and an iPad 2, I hardly use the MBA but I wouldn't want to be without it.

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I guess if people buy gadgets just enough for their needs most would need just a midrange android ...what would be the use of a tablet actually?basically for many it's a luxury lol

And as I said I always wanted a mac...I can't afford those retina macs and the ones I can afford are the base 13 inch pro and the 11 and 13 inch air 128 gb models...there is no sense in buying a mac pro to substitute iPad.
And if I buy a mac air with the less battery life and other disadvantages I was wondering if it's an ideal substitute for an iPad FOR ME ..JUST COZ I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A MAC...
Hope I made myself clear

But it is not like you need our permission to get a Mac book....but you asked about is it is worth the investment...and based on what you wrote, I don't see that it is. But if you just want one, then no one is going to stop you. :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
An usual, Marilyn, your 2 cents is worth at least twice that. You just convinced me. A MacBook Air has to join my collection of toys. I'm still 100% satisfied with my iPad 2, so it's win-win for me too.

A refurb from Apple.com is a great way to start at a good price.

The Archangel

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
A refurb from Apple.com is a great way to start at a good price.

The Archangel

Thanks Gabe. I'll have a look in the store and see what the market looks like. This is my year for going all Apple, so the MBA (instead of MBP) will get me saving the pennies for the iMac a bit quicker, especially if I can save a few dollars by getting a refurb.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Thanks Gabe. I'll have a look in the store and see what the market looks like. This is my year for going all Apple, so the MBA (instead of MBP) will get me saving the pennies for the iMac a bit quicker, especially if I can save a few dollars by getting a refurb.

To be honest, the MBP is a lovely machine but the MBA packs a huge amount of power in it's tiny frame, for most normal needs the MBA is more than enough.

The Archangel

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
To be honest, the MBP is a lovely machine but the MBA packs a huge amount of power in it's tiny frame, for most normal needs the MBA is more than enough.

The Archangel

That's what I've been thinking. I'm not exactly a power user.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
That's what I've been thinking. I'm not exactly a power user.

Even as a power user I doubt that it would let you down......and it's such a sleek machine it really compliments the iPad. BTW, it doesn't have a built in CD/DVD drive but I gut the MBA SuperDrive from Amazon Warehouse for a fraction of the list price. I also recently got a wireless Blu ray drive, also from Amazon Warehouse, which I'll be looking to set up with my MBA.......now that'll be really cool!

The Archangel

OP
A

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Marilyn

I have never been one to use many devices at once...I have only an iPad and a laptop(heavy one .dont carry it around). And no smartphone...but that is a good solution :)

Most reactions