iOS 9.3.5 on iPad 3 [edited August 26, 2016]

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by funpig, Oct 26, 2015.

?

How is your experience with iOS 9.1 on the iPad 3?

1. Good

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No Difference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. funpig

funpig
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Wow. Glad to see there are still other ipad 3 owners out there. I know there are lots of ipad 2's because Apple continued to sell the 2 after discontinuing the 3.

I startled this thread three months ago because i could not find any good info about upgrading the iPad 3 to iOS 9. I am usually reluctant to update right away. I usually wait at least a month and read all update reviews to make sure there are no serious issues. But nobody seems to talk ipad 3 anymore. I had hoped other owners would also post in this thrad with some info about issues etc with each update.

My iPad 3 is getting pretty old but so far the darn thing is reliable and still works very well. No wonder Apple sales are slowing because of market saturation. They need to come up with something really revolutionary to give people like me an excuse to buy a new one to replace existing hardware. We still have our kids two original iPod Touches lying around. They still work but kids had moved on to iPhones. I still like to use them for workouts and running in case i drop it during exercise.

I just update the ipad 3 right away now because i can never find any discussions on the ipad 3. Maybe i am hoping that the updates will brick my ipad 3 and give me an excuse to by a new one.

Anyways, the point of this thread is the ipad 3 and current updates. So far, no battery drain with 9.2.1. And it does feel smoother and quicker, but that may be because i cleared all running apps and rebooted it after the update. After more than 6.5 hours of usage (mostly Safari and some youtube), there is still 51% battery left.

#11 funpig, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  2. iluvmyipad

iluvmyipad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I haven't done the update yet. I still have my iPad 3, still works great. I got the new iPad pro,but still love my iPad 3 : )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Still using an iPad 2 here. Wait!!! There was an iPad 3? I must have dozed off for a while.

(Was that the 4 with a 30 pin?)

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    The iPad 4 came out soon after the iPad 3, just a few months. The only differences were the lightning connector and a slight boost to the processor speed. Otherwise, the software and hardware were identical to the iPad 3.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. funpig

funpig
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I updated to iOS 9.3 today.

At least, it did not brick my iPad 3. There are stories of iPad 2s bricking after the update. So far, my iPad 3 seems to be working fine. I am not sure if I will be using any of the new features. My main concerns after an update are performance and battery. I will report back after I have used it a few days.

I edited the thread title but I cannot change the poll question.

6. funpig

funpig
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    So far after about one day test, noticeable change in performance with iOS 9.3, namely still as good as before.

Some yahoo sites seem to load even better than before (have not noticed any delays which sometimes happened before on some web pages).

Have not tested any of the new features because i do not have any use for them. It would have been nice to have the night display which is only available for the newer 64 bit iPads.

Battery usage is still very good. About 12 hours usage with about 24 hours standby to go from 100% to 0%. During a straight 8 hour standby, only lost about 4% so very little battery drain.

EDIT: When fully charged to 100% and left it on standby for over 9 hours over night, the battery level remained at 100%. I actually suspect that Apple has designed the battery level indicator to lag a bit at the beginning to overstate how good the battery performance actually is after it has been fully charged. There have been times when i have used the iPad over 30 minutes before the level drops from 100%. On my other tablet, it drops to 99% almost as soon as I unplug it. Nevertheless, the total battery performance of this old iPad 3 on 9.3 remains excellent. PS I do not run any social network apps like facebook or twitter etc. I only use this ipad to pull emails when i want to see them and stay logged off the rest of the time because this is the family ipad which is used by everybody at home. My usage is mostly for Safari internet usage and watching videos on youtube or netflix.

#16 funpig, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  7. funpig

funpig
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I updated the iPad 3 to iOS 9.3.2 two days ago.

I had waited a couple weeks because i had read this update could brick certain devices ie iPad Pro's. I waited to see if there were any reviews of the iOS for the iPad 3. No news is good news, I guess.

Anyways, no problems so far. Speed is the same as before, namely, good. Battery performance may have even improved. For example, after full charge, 43 hours standby and 4.5 hours (mostly Safari) usage, the level is still at 75%. No appreciable drop in battery level while on standby over night.

8. sssaal

sssaal
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,:)
    ios 10 will be lunched this fall! and ipad 3 is not supported.:( This is our last chance to upgrade to ios 9.3.3!
    SOULAD WE DO IT??? :cool:
    (I have an ipad 3 (GSM) running ios 6!o_O)

9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're the owner of an iOS device that won't be getting the iOS 10 update, you'll always be able to update to the latest version of iOS 9, even after the public release of iOS 10. Apple will not stop signing iOS 9 for those devices that can't update to iOS 10. There's no rush to update to the latest version of iOS 9 before the public release of iOS 10.

10. sssaal

sssaal
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Should I update my ipad 3 (16 GB wifi+cellural with ios 6.1) to ios 9.3.3???:cool:
    Is there any body updated his or her ipad 3 to ios 9.3.3???o_O
    Advantages?? :)
    Disadvantages??:(