What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS7 problems in iBooks

hospmanrec

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just upgraded to iOS7, and the facility to get a definition of a word in iBooks text has stopped working: ever word - even simple ones - shows "No definition found". Is there a work-around that anyone knows, please? Peter

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just upgraded to iOS7, and the facility to get a definition of a word in iBooks text has stopped working: ever word - even simple ones - shows "No definition found". Is there a work-around that anyone knows, please? Peter

Hi, Peter! Welcome to iPF!

First, try the usual fixes: reset, restart your iPad and force close all apps.

Reset: press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears.
Restart: turn off your iPad, wait for a few minutes, then turn it on again.
Force close: double tap Home button or four/five finger swipe to reveal the multitask bar, then tap one of the tumbnails above app icons and drag it upwards towards the top of the screen.

Another possibility: open Safari on your iPad, choose any website, select a word there and from what appears, choose "Define". The next popup will almost certainly say "No Definition Found", and at the bottom of it, you'll find "Manage". Tap it, and you're able then to download a dictionary listed there. Choose the one/s you need and try again after downloading the dictionary.

If these won't fix your problem, you will have to backup your iPad and restore it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

Last edited:

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
J Another possibility: open Safari on your iPad said:
I"m not the person with the original question but thanks for this info I see that I had the same problem and didn't know it and never would have figured this solution out!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Manage button should also show up at the bottom left of the definition window in iBooks as well. No need to go to Safari.

You can download more than one dictionary. If your selected word appear in more than one of them, you will be offered the choice of dictionaries, and can use a back/dictionary button to move between them.

Pretty cool. I remember some language students asking for almost exactly this not too long ago.

Only 14 dictionaries so far, and three (and two halves) of those for English, but it's a start.

Most reactions

Latest posts