What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No scrollbar for audio track in iBook since iOS7 upgrade

pallrite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just "upgraded" to ios7 as prompted by my deus ex machina.

I use my ipad for a language course via distance education. My textbook is an iBook on the iPad with embedded audio files.

Prior to the "upgrade" I could scroll backwards and forwards in an audio track. I need to be able to do this to practice words and phrases.

Since the "upgrade", I have been unable to do this. I can only start and pause a track. This means that, e.g., I have to play an entire 10 minute track over and over to practice one word. My iPad is now less useful for my purposes than a 1900 wind up phonograph.

Does anybody have a solution?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Took me a while to find one of my iBooks with some audio tracks, but you are right, the scrub tool is missing. It's either a bug or something has change din how iBooks handles formatting.

I managed to get it back with a rather annoying work around. I tap on the file to start it playing, then pause it. Sometimes when it pauses the whole thing disappears and I have to play and pause it again. Once I can see the audio tool and it's paused, I tap the Home button to close iBooks, then quickly open the app again. The page reopens and the scrub tool is there and works.

Only tried this on two audio tracks on one book, but I got it to work on both tracks. It did take more than one or two tries before I got it down.

This is hardly a good workaround, but it might enable you to keep up your studies until a real fix comes through.

Right now I'm re-downloading the book to see if that will make any difference. It's a book about the blues, so it has lots of audio tracks and is taking some time to download. I'll give it a try and report back when it's finished.

If it does not work I intend to send some feedback Apple's way, politely, of course. I suggest you do the same, with perhaps a little emphasis on how it's affecting your use of iBooks as educational tool. Apple's been trying to push that feature.

Apple - iPad - Feedback

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nope, re-downloading the book did not help.

I've noticed something else that occasionally gets the scrub bar back. If you get the audio controls in the same visible but paused state as before, quickly going scrolling forward a page, and/or back a page seems to work. Sometimes it works going forward and back, sometimes the other way around.

Well, I'm off to the feedback page.

And done.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts