iOS v4.2 Update Begins to Roll Out

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by iDan, Nov 22, 2010.

1. tluv00

tluv00
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Since I am unable to go from the last Beta version to the newest with AirPlay and AirPrint, should I just factory restore and then upgrade and then back it up again with all of my apps?

2. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    No you can install it in exactly the same manner you installed the beta. Go to one of the many download links to the final release, download it, and on windows shift click update and on mac opt click update, select the restore file and you will be up to date.

3. mslammers

mslammers
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    As near as I can tell, you can only "make" folders by stacking two apps. What you can't do is "make" an empty folder that you can then put things into. I tried making a "folder" by stacking two apps and that worked. I then removed one of the apps and the folder was removed and the two apps were out in the open. I guess you cannot trick Mother Apple, or Steve Jobs for that matter. LOL:D
    If anyone has figured out how to make an empty folder [JBing you iPad my let you, I don't know] I hope they post the method.

4. Hdchiky

Hdchiky
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Mel, why couldnt you stack to apps, maybe 2 you don't use very often. Name the folder EMPTY (for now) drag one app out and just leave the other one in there temporarily until you decide what you want to put in it?? A temp fix, but it creates a folder - called EMPTY. Just a thought..

5. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Why would you need an empty folder?

6. jb.paul

jb.paul
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    For whatever reason, Apple decided that a folder must have at least two apps in it, so if the folder contains two apps and you remove one, the folder disappears and the remaining app is by itself.

7. Marcschreiber

Marcschreiber
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    So far so good except not finding printers for new print function. Multitasking and combined email accounts big plusses.

8. bukzin

bukzin
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Over the air update

New to Apple.

Regarding this update, can someone provide a link or info
    on how I can update to 4.2 for my ipad?

I do not have any other Apple products so I can not connect to
    download it.

Thanks

9. Beryl

Beryl
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    It could have been coincidental but the "download only" option took less than 10 minutes while the "download/upgrade" option stated that it would take 3-4 hours. I gave up after 3 tries and then tried the download only option. Everything was upgraded cleanly in about 20 minutes. (I have 46 GB free.)

I also turned off Norton firewall & antivirus because that seems to speed up syncs. I'm an Apple-newbie so I learned this after 3 trials. Apple experts probably already knew all of this.

10. HiNet

HiNet
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    All done! Good stuff...