What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Rolls Out iOS 8.1.3 with Bug Fixes & Storage Size Requirement Reduction for Updates

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
iosupdate813.jpg

Apple mobile device owners may be pleased to see a new update rolling out to their devices sometime soon starting today. Apple just started pushing out a new OTA update of iOS which is version 8.1.3. The update is relatively minor, but for those affected by the minor bugs, it should be appreciated.

Here's a quick breakdown of what is fixed or added:
  • Fixed an issue which prevented some users from entering their Apple ID passwords for Messages and FaceTime
  • Fixed a bug that caused Spotlight to stop displaying app results
  • Fixed a problem that prevented multitasking gestures from working on the iPad
  • Reduces the amount of storage space required to perform an iOS update
  • Adds new configuration options for education standardized testing.
This update was small enough from Apple's perspective that it was not seeded to developers before being released to the public. The only thing which is obviously missing from this update is that it does not address the recently discovered "GMT bug." This problem causes calendar syncing issues and time zone confusion for some iOS users.

Of course, Apple is currently working on a fix for that issue and it should show up in the next update. We will keep you posted, so stay tuned!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Updates all done. Nothing obvious broken. The few issues I've had have been intermittent, spaced out over days, and mostly on the iPhone (probably because I use it more). I won't know for at least week if these (mostly) small annoyances have been fixed (for me).

I was kind of hopping they would put the Blood Glucose data back into the Health app (iPhone only), but no such luck.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Despite having BT & Wi-Fi activated on both my MBPro w/ Yosemite (10.10.1) & my iPad Air 2 (iOS 8.1.2), I have not been able to get AirDrop to work from my laptop to my iDevice (transfers fine in the other direction) - others have been complaining about this so considered a potential bug issue by some?

WELL, I just upgraded to iOS 8.1.3, and AirDrop works in both directions - Yippee ki-yay! :cool: Dave

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Despite having BT & Wi-Fi activated on both my MBPro w/ Yosemite (10.10.1) & my iPad Air 2 (iOS 8.1.2), I have not been able to get AirDrop to work from my iDevice to my laptop (transfers fine in the other direction) - others have been complaining about this so considered a potential bug issue by some?

WELL, I just upgraded to iOS 8.1.3, and AirDrop works in both directions - Yippee ki-yay! :cool: Dave

Interesting, I needed to edit my initial post but apparently in a 'Featured' thread this option seems to be unavailable to the poster; SO the above quoted is the correct description, i.e. getting AirDrop to work from my iPad to my MBPro was corrected w/ the iOS update - sorry, Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's the iPad News area posts that can't be edited. I don't think being featured has anything to do with it. That's not a forum area, just a list of threads from various forums areas. No idea how it's generated.

Unfortunately my iMac is too old to support AirDrop. I'd kind of like it too. On the other hand Continuity, which should work, wasn't very reliable. I'll have to see how well it works going forward.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification relative to the sub-forum, i.e. iPad News - still was irritating not to be able to simply reverse my devices in the original post. AirDrop is a nice feature but does require updated software on both OS X & iOS - now works both ways for me and quicker that emailing files - however, Dropbox and other now available cloud options will work also - but avoids the old fashioned 'sneaker net' - :D Dave

Wendy#2015

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just updated to 8.1.3 tonight.
Since then my mail keeps crashing on startup, in my iMessages any users who use email and have changed their email, it's now back to the old email??? Takes forever to start now.

Any help would be great!
Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried restarting or reseting the iPad since the update?

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Wendy#2015

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerp poet,

Thanks for your reply!

I tried what you said and it is better but mail seems to crash when checking mail?

It one point when I restarted it showed the old password page instead of the new one.... I found that very odd.

How can I shut off the auto spellcheck on the keyboard?

Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To turn off auto-correct, go to Settings>General>Keyboards>Auto-Correction and slide the switch to the left to turn it off.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can try deleting and re-adding the email account. That usually fixes Mail problems. If the account is POP3 account, you might need to delete a lot of old emails afterwards; otherwise, everything should just come back.

Most reactions

Latest posts