What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8.1 Launches Today, Here are the new Features it Brings

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
iCloud-Photo-Library.jpg

In a previous post, I was sharing with you how you can set up Apple Pay on your iPad, a big feature that has been made available with the latest iOS 8.1 software upgrade.

And now we're having a quick look at some other new features that are making their way in the latest update.

Apple iOS 8.1 includes bug fixes, functionality for several Continuity features, the iCloud Photo Library, Apple Pay and the return of the Camera Roll, along with other minor improvements.
Continuity

With the new Continuity feature, users can easily switch between their iPhone, iPad and Mac or use them together. Handoff, Phone Calling, Instant Hotspot and SMS from any device are the main features that Continuity brings. With 'SMS from any device' feature, you will be able to send and receive SMS/MMS text messages from your iPad or Mac.

Also, in the chat bubbles, Apple differentiates iMessages with blue backgrounds and standard SMS messages with green backgrounds. Instant Hotspot will allow your iPad or Mac to connect to the personal hotspot on your iPhone if it is in your proximity.

With the new iCloud Photo Library, users will be able to save pictures and videos to their iCloud account. iCloud Photo Library will be accessible through any iOS device or through the iCloud website.

Apple iOS 8.1 will include bug fixes and the return of the Camera Roll, as well.

Source: Apple

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks! Camera roll has been sorely missed. Wonder what the Apple guys were smoking when they dropped it. :)

superhoops

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SMS on ipad not working. there's no option in message settings to enable it on either my iPhone 5s or ipad4. Guess as always the UK misses out, we've still not got iTunes Radio!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
SMS on ipad not working. there's no option in message settings to enable it on either my iPhone 5s or ipad4. Guess as always the UK misses out, we've still not got iTunes Radio!
You have to use the same iMessage account on both devices. If so, you will be asked if you want to enable text message forwarding from your iPhone.

If you want to listen to iTunes Radio, set up a US Apple ID. That's what I did, because Austria has neither iTunes Radio, nor TV Shows.

superhoops

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Both my iPhone and iPad are signed in to the same iMessage account.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If both devices are up to date (iOS 8.1), you should find the option to enable this feature on your iPhone in Settings - Messages. Enable Text Message Forwarding, then the iPhone should show the iPad. A code will be sent to the iPad, which you have to enter on the iPhone.

superhoops

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They have both been updated to 8.1. There is no such option in messages settings. I can only presume for some reason it has been disabled in the UK.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am in the UK and I have set up all my devices to receive text messages from my iPhone.

superhoops

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have restarted the iPhone again, I already did that earlier, and now the option has finally appeared. Thanks for the replies

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks! Camera roll has been sorely missed. Wonder what the Apple guys were smoking when they dropped it. :)

They were probably looking too far ahead, to features that don't quite exist yet.

If you activate the iCloud Photo Library (Beta) and choose to Optimize iPad Storage the Camera Roll goes missing again. Probably because you're opting out of keeping all your photos on the iPad, a local Camera Roll doesn't make sense.

Two things to consider before you, or anyone else, dives off the deep end with iCloud Photo Library.

1) It's a beta. You're risking your photos. If they are important, don't do it until it's out of beta, and perhaps a few weeks longer, just in case.

2) Unlike Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing, the iCloud Photo Library does count against your iCloud storage limit. 5 GB won't last long unless you keep cleaning things up, which is kind of contrary to what the feature is supposed to accomplish.

I already have 20 GB of iCloud storage, most of it sitting unused, and I tend to move important photos to other places within the first couple days; so I'm willing to risk a bit to play with the new feature.

That said, it's nice. Instead of a Camera Roll you get and All Photos album, and a bunch of other's, including the infamous (but I like it) Recently Deleted album. Photos show up on my other device faster than they ever did with just Photo Stream.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They were probably looking too far ahead, to features that don't quite exist yet.

If you activate the iCloud Photo Library (Beta) and choose to Optimize iPad Storage the Camera Roll goes missing again. Probably because you're opting out of keeping all your photos on the iPad, a local Camera Roll doesn't make sense.

Two things to consider before you, or anyone else, dives off the deep end with iCloud Photo Library.

1) It's a beta. You're risking your photos. If they are important, don't do it until it's out of beta, and perhaps a few weeks longer, just in case.

2) Unlike Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing, the iCloud Photo Library does count against your iCloud storage limit. 5 GB won't last long unless you keep cleaning things up, which is kind of contrary to what the feature is supposed to accomplish.

I already have 20 GB of iCloud storage, most of it sitting unused, and I tend to move important photos to other places within the first couple days; so I'm willing to risk a bit to play with the new feature.

That said, it's nice. Instead of a Camera Roll you get and All Photos album, and a bunch of other's, including the infamous (but I like it) Recently Deleted album. Photos show up on my other device faster than they ever did with just Photo Stream.

Yes, good advice. I did NOT turn on Optimize ipad storage so I have my photos in both places per se and will keep it that way. So far so good, I suppose.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If both devices are up to date (iOS 8.1), you should find the option to enable this feature on your iPhone in Settings - Messages. Enable Text Message Forwarding, then the iPhone should show the iPad. A code will be sent to the iPad, which you have to enter on the iPhone.

This is the part that confused me. I thought we could simply use iMessage to truly text anyone on any service using iMessage. Guess you need a phone though to actually do this? Oh well. Would have been nice to be able to just use my iPad to directly text people using iMessage that don't have apple devices.

Most reactions

Latest posts