What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 8.1 Launches Today, Here are the new Features it Brings

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Im amazed that Apple releases stuff so haphazardly! Weekly updates to correct errors, half finished features. Very amaturish! Guess I'll continue to use Dropbox as it is logical and accessible. My admiration for Apple is taking a beating.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is the part that confused me. I thought we could simply use iMessage to truly text anyone on any service using iMessage. Guess you need a phone though to actually do this? Oh well. Would have been nice to be able to just use my iPad to directly text people using iMessage that don't have apple devices.

At this time SMS is the only texting service that can be used for all phones. All others are proprietary, meaning you have to install software and use and use that companies servers. iMessages is no exception.

That is why you need an iPhone. You need a phone with SMS, and Apple only supports it's own phones. To be fair, supporting every kind of phone out there would be a major headache.

The alternative would be for Apple to give you a phone number, which would make them a phone service, or at least closely partnered with one or more phone services. I doubt they want to deal with that.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
At this time SMS is the only texting service that can be used for all phones. All others are proprietary, meaning you have to install software and use and use that companies servers. iMessages is no exception.

That is why you need an iPhone. You need a phone with SMS, and Apple only supports it's own phones. To be fair, supporting every kind of phone out there would be a major headache.

The alternative would be for Apple to give you a phone number, which would make them a phone service, or at least closely partnered with one or more phone services. I doubt they want to deal with that.

Got it. Just wasn't totally sure the way it was written. Thanks!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im amazed that Apple releases stuff so haphazardly! Weekly updates to correct errors, half finished features. Very amaturish! Guess I'll continue to use Dropbox as it is logical and accessible. My admiration for Apple is taking a beating.

Funny windows is much worse by a long way but I won't go there!!!!!

One must understand that any thing you purchase that has a electronics that may require updates are effected. In other words when Apple or who ever starts beta tests it is up to the developers of third party hard ware and software to make sure there equipment works. In the real world this does not happen because they are slack. Printer driver issues are a common one When Apple releases a brand new OS or ios there will be some issues. Apple has responded and supplied ios 8.1. This should resolve the majority of issues. In saying that Apple is not responsible if say Canon or Hp do not update their drivers to support the new iOS

When I update a clients computer I have to verify that all devices he or she owns and software will be compatible. With iOS 8 you have 700,000 apps that may need updates. So if a app crashes it really is not apples fault it is the app developers they must provide updates asap. Unfortunately this can take a couple of weeks if not more.
When apple released the first version of ios8 they advised that some features were not activated. Not really a big deal.
Hope that helps

Last edited:

Most reactions