iOS 7 - first impressions

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Domen, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Lunar

Lunar
    Expand Collapse

First time I've reverted back to previous firmware

Well having played with version 7 on my iPad 3 for almost 2 days I've reverted back to iOS v6.3.

This is the first time I've ever felt the need to go back to the previous firmware, but I found it a little laggy, especially in some area's, like changing background screens, in fact I thought it had locked up at one point it was so slow.
    I dislike Apples choice of colours, far too many white and bland screens, my collection of films now don't show their titles because white titles don't show on a white screen, the previous black screen was much better, with subtle shades of grey ect.

Even with bold text enabled, which helps, icon text is clearer on the old OS6.3, in fact the icons looked much better too IMHO, Safari is noticeably slower, with too thin and less defined symbols, but after comparing our two iPad 3's at some length one with v6.3 and mine with v7 I've now gone back to 6.3 on mine too.

Okay it lacks a few of the v7 features, and not all of them got implemented on the iPad3 anyway, but there's no doubt v6.3 looks better and is definitely quicker on the iPad3, and BTW I did try resetting after installing v7 but it didn't help with the lag. TBH I could have put up with it being slower, but with the poor choice of colours throughout, for the first time I feel happier running the previous iOS 6.3

BTW it is possible to revert back to iOS 6.3 if you do it fairly quickly, see my post here.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-3-forum/114027-ios-7-problems-4.html

#71 Lunar, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2013
  2. auntyj

auntyj
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The keyboard button with .com, .au etc has gone! I used that button hundreds of times a day! What a massive step backwards - not happy Apple!

3. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    In Safari, that's true. Maybe you should try a different browser. Here's what Mercury looks like:
    image-1917510963.jpg
    I don't know whether the .us becomes .au in Oz.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

#73 LannyC, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  4. auntyj

auntyj
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have an iPad 2, have seen quite a few comments or questions about the battery draining faster with 7, but in the 24 hours I've had it, I have to say I haven't noticed it at all. I spent several hours reading on my iPad and generally surfing on it in bed last night (ie, with it unplugged) as I often do, and it didn't suffer any more battery loss than normal. And so far I pretty much hate 7, so if I can admit I haven't had a problem with this aspect of it, that's pretty surprising! Hope this helps.

5. MiloB4

MiloB4
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hello All,
    Can someone share the best place to have a plea heard for the option to use the iOS 6 folder icons?

For the love of all things, I can not see my apps or folders. I have lived on my ipad over the past few years, but am now absolutely hating it - I can't move around as fast as I can't see things clearly.

My chosen calendar gives me tons of appearance options so why can't i do the same on my devices?

To all the programmers out there, any hope of having visual choice?

Thank you!

6. auntyj

auntyj
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I haven't heard of Mercury, do I just download it from the App Store? And do I need to jailbreak to do it, because I'm not willing to do that. Thanks so much for your help though.

7. auntyj

auntyj
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    OK, my first impressions after 24 hours of using it - 24 hours ago I HATED it unreservedly.
    Now I've gotten used to quite a few aspects of it. I'm sure there are plenty of bugs I haven't discovered yet.
    Things I still find annoying:
    As mentioned above, the .com button from the keyboard is gone :(

When I'm reading a web page and go to swipe the page up to keep reading, I keep hitting the control centre by mistake - I haven't turned that off in apps, don't know if that might fix it.

I highly dislike the way photos are now sorted into years - you can navigate out of it, but I've found that generally navigating around my photo albums and photo stream collections is more difficult.

In control centre, the words at the very top are in white - ie, if I turn the lock rotation or do not disturb on or off, it says " lock rotation off" but it's in such faint white writing I can barely read it, indoors in good light. Outside in sunlight, it's impossible.

My teenage niece has a like - now when you have the alarm clock enabled, and you hit the snooze, it tells you how much longer you have!
    I dislike the look of Safari now - just little stuff like moving the bookmark icon to the other side of the page - why? They could've updated the look without doing that.

I dislike the coloured stripe along the bottom of the home screen where the dock items are - I know it's just cosmetic but I don't like it.

A good point - my default email is Hotmail, and the list of folders there has been tweaked so that now the junk folder is near the top - before I used to have to scroll down to find it, so this is an improvement.

I'm sure there'll be more but I have to go. Hope this is a bit helpful.

8. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This "shortcut" has not disappeared - it's just been moved. When in Safari and with the cursor in the URL/search bar, press and hold the period & question mark key. You'll get a pop-up with the extensions, like this:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps and clarifies.

Marilyn

9. tazz3

tazz3
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I might Waite a while my ipad4 is fine with6.1.3 I been reading not to many good stuff

10. auntyj

auntyj
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! :eek: :eek::eek::eek:

#80 auntyj, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013