What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 7 - first impressions

tomarseneault

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two gripes so far, in email it used to be that while you are reading your email it kept the next unread email visible on top of the left pane, it no longer does that. And second, in the Videos app it does not show the names of my videos, makes it hard to choose one to play.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

tomarseneault

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more gripe, I absolutely hate the new Notes app. Some of the other standard apps I'm less than enthused with, but I don't out right hate them.

elau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My upgrade was a breeze, all in all 10 minutes and I was on my way.

My impression of the IOS 7 is neutral but not very keen on the look. I attribute that from looking at the IOS 5 and 6 for the last two years so this is a "culture shock" but I think it will eventually grow on me.

I did have to mass around on the iPhone to get my IM finally to work like it was. The biggest issue I ran into was my email. It may be something I did but after the upgrade there were almost 4,000 emails in one of my accounts and they went back two years. Took me almost an entire day to clean it up. Like many other already mentioned, battery drain is a huge issue. Hope that gets fixed real soon. So far the UI looks like an Android device so I guess I can now start telling people this is an Android and they will never know. Apple use to be unique but this upgrade made them a "wannabe". Oh well, I sort of think this will happen when Steve J checked out.

kelB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fix for wallpaper

Go to Settings > General > Assessibility > Reduce Motion "set to OFF"
Next, in Settings > Wallpapers & Brightness > Choose Wallpaper (pick the wallpaper) - you should now be able to "Move and Scale" the photo that you've chosen for your wallpaper.
After you've SET the wallpaper, you can go back to Parallax motion by turning Reduce Motion to "ON" (see step 1)

L

Lunar

Two gripes so far, in email it used to be that while you are reading your email it kept the next unread email visible on top of the left pane, it no longer does that. And second, in the Videos app it does not show the names of my videos, makes it hard to choose one to play.

Yes I noticed that too, it's because the text for the titles is in white, which of course won't show on white backgrounds.... I found other instances of this happening. I'm just amazed this was not picked up in early beta testing. IMHO I think Apple have spent far too much time admiring some of the idea's Android introduced, and decided to implement a few themselves.

There was very little wrong with the appearance of icons and colour scheme on previous iOS versions, I certainly don't think it looks as good cosmetically, there are other colours available besides white. Hopefuly Apple will listen to people and remedy many of the issues on the next update.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I noticed that too, it's because the text for the titles is in white, which of course won't show on white backgrounds.... I found other instances of this happening. I'm just amazed this was not picked up in early beta testing. IMHO I think Apple have spent far too much time admiring some of the idea's Android introduced, and decided to implement a few themselves.

There was very little wrong with the appearance of icons and colour scheme on previous iOS versions, I certainly don't think it looks as good cosmetically, there are other colours available besides white. Hopefuly Apple will listen to people and remedy many of the issues on the next update.

Totally agree, i have iOS7 on the iPad and iOS6 on the phone, and i don't see anything wrong with the iOS6 skeumorsphism, in fact i like more then the ios7 colours which are cartoonish

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Ipaders :rolleyes: To those who updates their ipads to IOS 7 please give your first impressions and reviews! I wanna know if there is a change in the battery life, I heard it drains quicker with IOS 7, or is it the same! plus an important thing is whether 25pp works just fine with IOS 7 as it does on 6??

well i updated on UK release, like others not happy with the pastel pallet icons, to me they are less distinct, especially in bright in daylight which is so far my biggest issue.

Battery life seems unchanged tbh, you do need to turn off location access, many programs demand it, some mapping programs if left running in background will suck your battery life, usual tricks like turn off blue tooth and WiFi if not needed also help.

Annoyingly the update restored all the previously deleted apps, and messed up my folder correlation :(.

Do like the pull down search and pull up access to controls, but would they really be a deal maker must haves? for me i think likely note.

If you go to the top page of Safari your shown icons of what seem past used sites shortcuts, to reduce you need to hit the private icon, your them offered to close page, why not the time honoured hold springboard button, hit the x on unwanted icons?

for me the new interfaces is only better in some and worse in other aspects, but even if it was fifty times worse - iOS is still a hundred times better the android offerings ;).

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I correct in assuming that this will NOT work on the "original" iPad? Probably not, since that is the one I have.

going by a friend who also has the ipad1, he said no longer supported in updates, i know upsetting if true he is miffed having bought his on dat one paid a fortune for it, only to be superseded within a year.

in his case i'd guess he should be pragmatic, he has had his value, and should at least learn never buy on 1st issue, but just think how many have had to buy new Android Tablets over a lesser time span.

tbh i get shot while it still has some value, or pass on to your kids or those in the close family, still invaluable fir homework research etc.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
reading others comments about the new look, i've thought up what i think is the best description, its like you have dropped your device into the bath or a puddle and dilated all the typeface inks!

i'm a lousy speller, but i don't use auto correct because of the random words generated as you hit space, the older select replace method imho was far better in 6.

yet to test the new SIRI, just as yet i've to find an app that understands my mangled east london/essex dialect to any degree of accuracy, if i want to have a random conversation with any of my 400+ contacts i use SIRI voice dial, more effective than using any sales prompting app :).

kfhaggerty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have yet to get my calendar and reminders to work. I have strange lags in button response, Yahoo mail runs like snail-mail, Safari was crashing a lot, but has gotten better. The look is boring. The trending "flatness" is something I dislike immensely. They went through the effort to make the home screen 2½D, but made everything else 2D. I really liked the feel of the old icons and such. I don't like the new keyboard. I have trouble seeing when the caps lock function is active. It used to change color, which popped. Now, it just changes to a diffent shade of grey. There was a huge problem with getting my girlfriend's iMessage app to work across platforms, but we worked that out. I had huge stability issues switching among open web pages, but someone in this forum suggested I turn off the Documents and Data "save" button in General settings. That helped a lot. Overall, the whole thing just seems sluggish by comparison to the previous OS. Some have reported usability as "snappier". But, I find the opposite to be true. I nearly switched all back to iOS 6, but in the long run, I guess that wouldn't be wise. I'll just have to hope that 7.0.1 will be soon coming.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have yet to get my calendar and reminders to work. I have strange lags in button response, Yahoo mail runs like snail-mail, Safari was crashing a lot, but has gotten better. The look is boring. The trending "flatness" is something I dislike immensely. They went through the effort to make the home screen 2½D, but made everything else 2D. I really liked the feel of the old icons and such. I don't like the new keyboard. I have trouble seeing when the caps lock function is active. It used to change color, which popped. Now, it just changes to a diffent shade of grey. There was a huge problem with getting my girlfriend's iMessage app to work across platforms, but we worked that out. I had huge stability issues switching among open web pages, but someone in this forum suggested I turn off the Documents and Data "save" button in General settings. That helped a lot. Overall, the whole thing just seems sluggish by comparison to the previous OS. Some have reported usability as "snappier". But, I find the opposite to be true. I nearly switched all back to iOS 6, but in the long run, I guess that wouldn't be wise. I'll just have to hope that 7.0.1 will be soon coming.
Too late to switch back - only limited amount of time after the 7 update allowed. Some of your problems may be sorted out by doing a hard re-set . But I am afraid you are stuck with washy colours and 2D icons.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

kfhaggerty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's funny. I made the same Android reference to someone yesterday. My girlfriend's phone suffered a great deal of IM troubles as well.

Bartholemew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's funny. I made the same Android reference to someone yesterday. My girlfriend's phone suffered a great deal of IM troubles as well.

I made the mistake of 'upgrading' the iPad. I refuse to 'upgrade' the phone. Somebody let out a stinker with this one.

Most reactions

Latest posts