What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 6.1 Released

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I can assure you the iPad would not work and show the new 6.1 iOS if it did not complete the install. If you are concerned you can connect the iPad to your computer and do full restore which may take an hour or more depending on your connection to the Internet.
Frankly I would not bother.

regards Colin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SonicBodhi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
This is a Developer issue, not an Apple issue. The Developers have access to the beta versions of the new iOS, which Apple supply to them, to enable them to update their apps.....if an app is broken you need to get on to the Dev for that app, especially if you have paid for that app.

The Archangel

Unfortunately, not all developers respond in a timely fashion. I am still waiting to get a game app fix, several months after I apprised the developer of the problem. Aside from that, I don't understand why Apple would take the attitude of passing the buck, so to speak. You offer an app in your app store, then by default, you should stand by it, no matter who developed it. It's your name on the line as well as the developer's, since you put it in your store, and that is the reality, whether you accept it or not.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SonicBodhi said:
Unfortunately, not all developers respond in a timely fashion. I am still waiting to get a game app fix, several months after I apprised the developer of the problem. Aside from that, I don't understand why Apple would take the attitude of passing the buck, so to speak. You offer an app in your app store, then by default, you should stand by it, no matter who developed it. It's your name on the line as well as the developer's, since you put it in your store, and that is the reality, whether you accept it or not.

Whilst I understand the frustration, Apple simply cannot be responsible for third parties updating their apps any more than Microsoft can. All that Apple can do is supply developers with the tools to make the update.

If the Dev is not updating the app you could ask Apple for a refund for the app. If users do this then it's quite likely the Dev will be inclined to get busy and do the update if they are getting hit in the pocket.

The Archangel

SonicBodhi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Barçamad said:
I thought I had lost my You Tube app after the update but it reappeared so no problem. I went to the App Store and checked purchases & there it was, not ready for download however, just showed as Open. I took that to mean it was still on my iPad 3. Sure enough I located it in one of my folders, although to be truthful I cannot remember how that happened. Still, I found the app at the end of the day so I am sure it will still be on other users iPads.
Good luck

I'm not really sure what you are talking about. I'm talking about the native YouTube app that came with iOS 5. With the iOS 6 update, Apple opted to discontinue the native app, so Google had to release their own 3rd party app in the app store. Something about a licensing issue, and I'm sure Apple's lawsuit against Google over patent infringements had something to do with it.

SonicBodhi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:
Hi, I can assure you the iPad would not work and show the new 6.1 iOS if it did not complete the install. If you are concerned you can connect the iPad to your computer and do full restore which may take an hour or more depending on your connection to the Internet.
Frankly I would not bother.

regards Colin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm sorry, but you lost me? I'm not at all sure what you are referring to. I've had my iPad for a year, and it's updated without problems over my wi-fi every time. I've only had to do a restore on it once, and that was shortly after I purchased it. What my post is about is that the updates sometimes cause issues with apps that previously worked, or that Apple makes changes like removing certain apps. I know on my wife's 4th gen. iPod, the last update took away the ability to rotate the screen, and we have NO idea why Apple decided to do that. It's a bit jarring when they make changes like that without consulting the end-users about it. I'm halfway afraid that this update might take away the rotate function on my iPad, and I would be seriously upset if that happened.

SonicBodhi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SonicBodhi said:
I'm sorry, but you lost me? I'm not at all sure what you are referring to. I've had my iPad for a year, and it's updated without problems over my wi-fi every time. I've only had to do a restore on it once, and that was shortly after I purchased it. What my post is about is that the updates sometimes cause issues with apps that previously worked, or that Apple makes changes like removing certain apps. I know on my wife's 4th gen. iPod, the last update took away the ability to rotate the screen, and we have NO idea why Apple decided to do that. It's a bit jarring when they make changes like that without consulting the end-users about it. I'm halfway afraid that this update might take away the rotate function on my iPad, and I would be seriously upset if that happened.

Oh, sorry, I forgot This is not my thread, I'm just subscribed to it. Apologies.

TheGreatD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How is the battery life compared to iOS 5.1.1? is it better and is definitely an improvement. Sorry if this question has been asked before. Im really concerned with battery drain that I've heard in regards to 6.1, can you confirm that this is not true and that iOS 6.1 has got less battery drain compared to 5.1.1.

Thanks in advance

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TheGreatD said:
How is the battery life compared to iOS 5.1.1? is it better and is definitely an improvement. Sorry if this question has been asked before. Im really concerned with battery drain that I've heard in regards to 6.1, can you confirm that this is not true and that iOS 6.1 has got less battery drain compared to 5.1.1.

Thanks in advance

I've actually had pretty consistent battery performance from release to release for a while now. I haven't experienced any trouble with 6.1 regarding the battery life. Can I say if its better than 5.1? Not with certainty but its not worse. :)

TheGreatD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
I've actually had pretty consistent battery performance from release to release for a while now. I haven't experienced any trouble with 6.1 regarding the battery life. Can I say if its better than 5.1? Not with certainty but its not worse. :)

Thank you so much for the reply. I'll think about updating :)

TheGreatD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone else confirm what I asked above... Need more direction in regards to upgrading to 6.1 from 5.1.1 in terms of battery drain, is it less or more overall etc.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Just found this snippet of info by our local jailbreak Guru

Search for the term "battery drain" on the forum. You will find countless posts linked to EVERY new release of IOS. I have commented on this literally dozens of times. Here is an example - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/67642-5-1-killing-battery-ipad-2-a.html#post477224

There is no IOS 6.1 bug that we are aware of that:

1) causes the iPad battery to drain significantly faster than expected
2) causes any kind of WiFi connection problems

These two issues crop up regularly after people upgrade their IOS devices. The working theory is that the update process has gone wrong in some way, leaving a process on the iPad in a panic state (which means it will run flat out without stopping, thus draining the battery).
As for WiFi issues, it is assumed that a configuration setting, certificate, or other file has become corrupt and is preventing proper communication over WiFi.

These seem to be artefacts of the update process. Apple has done a fantastic job on supporting updates between versions of IOS, but they cannot possibly cater for every combination of previous IOS and settings that folks will have on their devices. The "older" the previous IOS, the more challenging it becomes and the more likely that there will be issues. Apple expect you to update to EVERY release of IOS on the device and not leave big gaps in between, but folks often do...
This is really no different to upgrading a desktop OS such as Windows or OSX. Most of the time it will work, but sometimes you need to bite the bullet and perform a clean install to resolve issues.

The resolution for this problem on the iPad is to perform a FULL restore to the latest version of IOS 6.1 and to restore your backup.
It may not be possible to restore your backup data and eliminate the problem altogether, because the problematic "setting" or file could be in your backup, but it is worth trying to restore your backup once after a fresh restore.
If the problems persists after that, restore the device again and set up as a new device when prompted in iTunes.

A cleanly restored iPad on 6.1 does not show any symptoms of battery drain AFAIK (and I have 3 iPads in the house running 6.1)

Hope this makes your mind clearer on the battery drain issue

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't notice any difference in my iDevices, does anyone else?

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TheRambler said:
Just found this snippet of info by our local jailbreak Guru

Hope this makes your mind clearer on the battery drain issue

I use my iPad all the time, I don't expect the battery to last forever w o recharging it. For me it's a waste do time to worry about battery life. I just charge when I need to and that's it...

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TheRambler said:
I'm finding mine seems to be lasting slightly longer, I've never timed it, but it seems longer!

To be honest, I think there is a lot of rubbish being spoken about battery drain on this new iOS, I think it's just the usual giddy hype.

iMHO

Yes, something to complain about.

Most reactions

Latest posts