What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 6.1 Released

TheGreatD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments on battery life. I will definitely update. I know iPhone users of 4s and 5 (after reading an article) are still having bad battery life drain issues but I'm not sure if this is been a recurring problem before iOS 6.1 . But I'm glad that iPad doesn't follow the same trail as iPhone in terms of battery drain. Thanks once again, will be updating my iPad 3 wifi and cellular today :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments on battery life. I will definitely update. I know iPhone users of 4s and 5 (after reading an article) are still having bad battery life drain issues but I'm not sure if this is been a recurring problem before iOS 6.1 . But I'm glad that iPad doesn't follow the same trail as iPhone in terms of battery drain. Thanks once again, will be updating my iPad 3 wifi and cellular today :)

Just for clarity, as an owner of 4 iPhone models and as a member of staff at our sister site iPhoneForums.net, I know of no inherent battery drain problems associated with the latest supported versions of IOS on any device, including iPhone, iPad, and iPod.

The iPhone 4S battery is probably the worst in terms of "life" across the entire range, but this is a function of the battery size/spec versus the hardware/software combination it has to run. It has, IMHO, nothing to do with any bugs in the operating system.

Last edited:

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have noticed that after the update to 6.1, it takes longer to charge my battery. I use Battery Doctor and today, for example, for a full charge I was told it would take 6 hours (15% left). Previously, it has only taken between 3 and 4 hours for a full charge from 15%.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Barçamad said:
I have noticed that after the update to 6.1, it takes longer to charge my battery. I use Battery Doctor and today, for example, for a full charge I was told it would take 6 hours (15% left). Previously, it has only taken between 3 and 4 hours for a full charge from 15%.

Wonder if you delete and then reinstall the Battery Doctor app, if it will recalibrate and measure the same or similar charging pattern?

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a couple more personal observations on battery life ;)

It is extremely difficult to accurately observe the battery characteristics of an iDevice in anything but "laboratory" conditions. Most folks aren't able to create a set of justifiably comparable results before and after an update with a consistent usage pattern. To be accurate, their usage would need to be near identical - i.e. lab conditions, and probably repeated a few times. SkullOne came closest to approximating this a while ago, and I think I'm right in saying he always concluded that there were no significant differences with new versions of IOS (either better or worse), and that would be the expected result.

BatteryDoctor, whilst nice, is just an app, and has no more access to the battery consumption characteristics of the iPad than any other app. Apple don't allow low level access to the OS or the hardware! Most of the stuff is just an estimation. It often gets the "time to full charge" calculation wrong on my devices, sometimes by quite a margin.

I'm reminded of a member from a year or two ago with an iPad1 when the upgrade to 4.2.1 came out. He was waking the iPad up every few minutes to check whether the battery had dropped another percentage point and would not accept that the act of waking it up so often was in fact the thing that was causing the battery to drain faster than it had before he installed the update. It was the act of looking for a problem that was causing the problem to manifest ;)

My advice is that unless you hear "officially" that a version of IOS has a battery drain bug (and none exist that we know of!), then don't waste too much time fretting or observing the battery consumption. If your battery starts to drain uncontrollably after an update, something has gone wrong with the process and this will almost always certainly be fixed by a quick restore :D

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:

It is extremely difficult to accurately observe the battery characteristics of an iDevice in anything but "laboratory" conditions. Most folks aren't able to create a set of justifiably comparable results before and after an update with a consistent usage pattern. To be accurate, their usage would need to be near identical - i.e. lab conditions, and probably repeated a few times. SkullOne came closest to approximating this a while ago, and I think I'm right in saying he always concluded that there were no significant differences with new versions of IOS (either better or worse), and that would be the expected result.

BatteryDoctor, whilst nice, is just an app, and has no more access to the battery consumption characteristics of the iPad than any other app. Apple don't allow low level access to the OS or the hardware! Most of the stuff is just an estimation. It often gets the "time to full charge" calculation wrong on my devices, sometimes by quite a margin.

I'm reminded of a member from a year or two ago with an iPad1 when the upgrade to 4.2.1 came out. He was waking the iPad up every few minutes to check whether the battery had dropped another percentage point and would not accept that the act of waking it up so often was in fact the thing that was causing the battery to drain faster than it had before he installed the update. It was the act of looking for a problem that was causing the problem to manifest ;)

My advice is that unless you hear "officially" that a version of IOS has a battery drain bug (and none exist that we know of!), then don't waste too much time fretting or observing the battery consumption. If your battery starts to drain uncontrollably after an update, something has gone wrong with the process and this will almost always certainly be fixed by a quick restore :D

A nice summation of what the deal is here. I don't think people realize how their actions actually affect battery life much more than update could. A new app that drains more, slightly brighter screen, lots of things add to more usage. It's just that whenever a new OS comes out, we get the plethora of battery problem threads. I've never had an issue myself. Not saying others haven't..... But for the most part it's a non issue.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
Wonder if you delete and then reinstall the Battery Doctor app, if it will recalibrate and measure the same or similar charging pattern?

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Hi A A,
Yes, I tried that, thanks. No difference. I would like to stress that I only made an observation and am in no way concerned. Que sera, sera!
Thanks for the input,
Mike

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:

Totally agree and a good summing up. I am in no way concerned about battery drain as that has not altered. I am pretty sure it is a Battery Doctor issue. As long as it charges OK, I am happy.
Thanks for the detailed post.
Mike

TheGreatD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Just for clarity, as an owner of 4 iPhone models and as a member of staff at our sister site iPhoneForums.net, I know of no inherent battery drain problems associated with the latest supported versions of IOS on any device, including iPhone, iPad, and iPod.

The iPhone 4S battery is probably the worst in terms of "life" across the entire range, but this is a function of the battery size/spec versus the hardware/software combination it has to run. It has, IMHO, nothing to do with any bugs in the operating system.

Thank you so much for confirming. I'm going ahead with updating to 6.1 iOS :)

Most reactions

Latest posts