iOS 6.1 Released

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Jan 28, 2013.

1. acostapimps

acostapimps iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just receive the update message when I rebooted the ipad 2, Should I update? Is there any difference besides calendar app being fixed?

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
  2. iJamesH

iJamesH iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +114 / 0
    From what I read the calendar issue has been fixed with the new update.
  3. SonicBodhi

SonicBodhi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm just wondering what else will be"broken" with this update. The last update broke a couple of my apps, for which fixes have yet to be supplied. Apps I paid for.

I was also quite chagrined at the nasty surprise of losing the native YouTube app. What's next, the loss of functionality for ANY YouTube type apps??

I'm afraid to install this update, for fear of what else Apple has "fixed" so it won't work until the app developers catch up with the changes (and some of them are not in too big a hurry to provide fixes for apps that keep getting constantly broken by all the updates from Apple)

It's nice that the support team likes to keep on top of bug fixes, but why do they have to make radical changes that ultimately cause other problems?? I hate to say it but this is starting to remind me of Microsoft's past business model of putting out a software product before working out all of the bugs and then using customers as free beta testers. Not a good move, Apple.
  4. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    This is a Developer issue, not an Apple issue. The Developers have access to the beta versions of the new iOS, which Apple supply to them, to enable them to update their apps.....if an app is broken you need to get on to the Dev for that app, especially if you have paid for that app.

The Archangel
  5. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1
    I thought I had lost my You Tube app after the update but it reappeared so no problem. I went to the App Store and checked purchases & there it was, not ready for download however, just showed as Open. I took that to mean it was still on my iPad 3. Sure enough I located it in one of my folders, although to be truthful I cannot remember how that happened. Still, I found the app at the end of the day so I am sure it will still be on other users iPads.
    Good luck
  6. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0
    Hi, I can assure you the iPad would not work and show the new 6.1 iOS if it did not complete the install. If you are concerned you can connect the iPad to your computer and do full restore which may take an hour or more depending on your connection to the Internet.
    Frankly I would not bother.

regards Colin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  7. SonicBodhi

SonicBodhi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Unfortunately, not all developers respond in a timely fashion. I am still waiting to get a game app fix, several months after I apprised the developer of the problem. Aside from that, I don't understand why Apple would take the attitude of passing the buck, so to speak. You offer an app in your app store, then by default, you should stand by it, no matter who developed it. It's your name on the line as well as the developer's, since you put it in your store, and that is the reality, whether you accept it or not.
  8. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    Whilst I understand the frustration, Apple simply cannot be responsible for third parties updating their apps any more than Microsoft can. All that Apple can do is supply developers with the tools to make the update.

If the Dev is not updating the app you could ask Apple for a refund for the app. If users do this then it's quite likely the Dev will be inclined to get busy and do the update if they are getting hit in the pocket.

The Archangel
  9. SonicBodhi

SonicBodhi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm not really sure what you are talking about. I'm talking about the native YouTube app that came with iOS 5. With the iOS 6 update, Apple opted to discontinue the native app, so Google had to release their own 3rd party app in the app store. Something about a licensing issue, and I'm sure Apple's lawsuit against Google over patent infringements had something to do with it.
  10. SonicBodhi

SonicBodhi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm sorry, but you lost me? I'm not at all sure what you are referring to. I've had my iPad for a year, and it's updated without problems over my wi-fi every time. I've only had to do a restore on it once, and that was shortly after I purchased it. What my post is about is that the updates sometimes cause issues with apps that previously worked, or that Apple makes changes like removing certain apps. I know on my wife's 4th gen. iPod, the last update took away the ability to rotate the screen, and we have NO idea why Apple decided to do that. It's a bit jarring when they make changes like that without consulting the end-users about it. I'm halfway afraid that this update might take away the rotate function on my iPad, and I would be seriously upset if that happened.
  11. SonicBodhi

SonicBodhi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Oh, sorry, I forgot This is not my thread, I'm just subscribed to it. Apologies.
  12. TheGreatD

TheGreatD iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How is the battery life compared to iOS 5.1.1? is it better and is definitely an improvement. Sorry if this question has been asked before. Im really concerned with battery drain that I've heard in regards to 6.1, can you confirm that this is not true and that iOS 6.1 has got less battery drain compared to 5.1.1.

Thanks in advance
  13. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    I've actually had pretty consistent battery performance from release to release for a while now. I haven't experienced any trouble with 6.1 regarding the battery life. Can I say if its better than 5.1? Not with certainty but its not worse. :)
  14. TheGreatD

TheGreatD iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you so much for the reply. I'll think about updating :)
  15. TheGreatD

TheGreatD iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can anyone else confirm what I asked above... Need more direction in regards to upgrading to 6.1 from 5.1.1 in terms of battery drain, is it less or more overall etc.
  16. TheRambler

TheRambler Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +125 / 0
    I'm finding mine seems to be lasting slightly longer, I've never timed it, but it seems longer!

To be honest, I think there is a lot of rubbish being spoken about battery drain on this new iOS, I think it's just the usual giddy hype.

iMHO
  17. TheRambler

TheRambler Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +125 / 0
    Just found this snippet of info by our local jailbreak Guru

Hope this makes your mind clearer on the battery drain issue
  18. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    I don't notice any difference in my iDevices, does anyone else?

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF
  19. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    I use my iPad all the time, I don't expect the battery to last forever w o recharging it. For me it's a waste do time to worry about battery life. I just charge when I need to and that's it...

20. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105 / 0
    Yes, something to complain about.