What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 5 Beta Thoughts

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, betas of iTunes tend to be quite unstable! Not surprised you are having problems...

That's the joy (and the point) of being a beta tester! :)

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Yes, betas of iTunes tend to be quite unstable! Not surprised you are having problems...

That's the joy (and the point) of being a beta tester! :)

How u finding ios5 then?

Can we expect a new iTunes beta for beta 2 of IOS 5?

iPad 2 owner

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not testing it yet. I'm currently working on other development projects, so just too busy. Really excited by the new features, but want to test them out when they are all in place, rather than at this early stage (particularly iCloud). Will probably get on board when my iPad2 arrives "soon"...

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have it loaded now after some issues but now resolved only problem is address book data is there but not visible. Any comments and yes I am registered through a developer lol

wclyffe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm running ios5 beta on an ipad2 and so far I've noticed two consistent issues. In Calendar, if you try to edit an entry on your iPad calendar that is already there it quits the app. Also, I've found that with the smart coverin place it will sometimes put my iPad into a deep sleep mode and nothing will wake it up. The only way to get out of this is to hold the power and home buttons for a really long time until it reboots....like 15 seconds. More to come...

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gunny008 said:
I'm finding it pretty stable - all the apps I use work like they did in ios 4 and multi tasking gestures are slick and don't lag! Safari seems faster.

My main problem is with iTunes 10.5 - sometimes I get a message saying that "iTunes has stopped working, please close the programme" which is annoying and prevents me from opening iTunes. So I just keep reinstalling iTunes 10.5 which sucks a bit! Have you heard about this problem?

iPad 2 owner

I am mad about iTunes, the whole reason I upgraded was to get wireless syncing.
:p you apple.

:)

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
miket5au said:
You should start a thread about why you jailbreak. I have not seen a compelling reason to jailbreak and it would be nice to see something other than "Apple are not telling me how I can use MY device".

To let me use the device the way I want. I wanted to be able to tether to my phone but apple doesn't allow Bluetooth tethering to any phone but iPhone. How lame. And even simple things like GridLock. It allows you to place icons anywhere on the grid. Should that just be an obvious option?

CMax420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
And even simple things like GridLock. It allows you to place icons anywhere on the grid. Should that just be an obvious option?

I couldn't agree more with your statement!

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
wclyffe said:
I'm running ios5 beta on an ipad2 and so far I've noticed two consistent issues. In Calendar, if you try to edit an entry on your iPad calendar that is already there it quits the app. Also, I've found that with the smart coverin place it will sometimes put my iPad into a deep sleep mode and nothing will wake it up. The only way to get out of this is to hold the power and home buttons for a really long time until it reboots....like 15 seconds. More to come...

Just tested the calendar the app with a few entries and tried to edit them...the app didn't crash. Have you tried to restart your iPad?

Have not had any issues with the smart cover yet..

iPad 2 owner

wclyffe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gunny008 said:
Just tested the calendar the app with a few entries and tried to edit them...the app didn't crash. Have you tried to restart your iPad?

Have not had any issues with the smart cover yet..

iPad 2 owner

Not sure why editing a Calendar entry is crashing for me. I've restarted it several times with the same results. I'm not sure the deep sleep mode is connected to the smart cover, but I'm thinking of doing a reinstall and see if the issues go away. thanks!

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CMax420 said:
I couldn't agree more with your statement!

That's the only reason why. It's stupid stuff like that that is so simple and makes people like android. My mom and grandmother were shopping today and drug me along to Costco. I saw the new acer tab on display and it gave me some second thoughts. USB port, flash (almost), hdmi, camera, and all the other standard stuff. It is really making apple look bad. The iPad 3 is going to have to dominate to keep iPad afloat or people are going to realize that there are cheaper, more functional options available.

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad 3 is going to have to dominate to keep iPad afloat or people are going to realize that there are cheaper, more functional options available.

I agree that some of the new android tablets are cheaper but not about being more functional. Also Apple have never been about being cheaper.

Where are the competitors to the iPod? There are cheaper options but none are killing the iPod (Zune anyone?). The point being that if you want to tinker and tweak buy an android device. If you want to use the device (run applications) choose the one with the applications you want. Just like the choice between Linux and Windows (other than Microsoft or Apple Or Google is evil) should be made based on what you want to do.

I have two Android tablets and spent most of my time tinkering trying to get them the way I liked. I just use the iPad (sometimes just to play Solitaire :)) without worrying about what I cannot change.

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am mad about iTunes, the whole reason I upgraded was to get wireless syncing.

The wireless syncing is only available with iTunes 10.5 - which requires a Mac? I have just got my development VM running so can try that out sometime - no download quota available to download the iTunes beta, iOS 5 beta and XCode beta until next week :(

The whole syncing thing is interesting. I just connect my iPad to my computer and it then gets charged as well as syncing whatever needs doing. If I change to using wireless syncing how is my iPad going to get charged?

Docs To Go and DropBox already wirelessly sync.

wclyffe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
miket5au said:
The whole syncing thing is interesting. I just connect my iPad to my computer and it then gets charged as well as syncing whatever needs doing. If I change to using wireless syncing how is my iPad going to get charged?

With the charger. No matter where you are.

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
miket5au said:
The wireless syncing is only available with iTunes 10.5 - which requires a Mac? I have just got my development VM running so can try that out sometime - no download quota available to download the iTunes beta, iOS 5 beta and XCode beta until next week :(

Docs To Go and DropBox already wirelessly sync.

I have iTunes 10.5 because I had to have that to get to iOS 5 in the first place. :)

But not a Mac. Wouldn't apple make it available on windows too?

Most reactions

Latest posts