What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet Usage Survey Reveals Unusual Browsing Patterns for iPad Owners

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
usage_survey.JPG
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]MacRumors reports today on a click pattern study from Bit.ly, which reveals that iPad owners use their devices to browse the internet at different times than most other device users, including smartphone and computer owners. As you can see from the graph, for all other devices save the iPad, the general flow of traffic climbs significantly in the morning at the start of the work day, peaks mid-afternoon, then drops off as people head home from work. All of the other devices seem to show a very similar pattern. And then, though, there’s the iPad! As you can see from the way that thin blue line appears to have a mind of its own, iPad browsing patterns differ greatly from the norm. After dropping slightly after breakfast, and staying fairly low the rest of the day, it suddenly spikes later in the evening, around 9 p.m. Bit.ly also found that iPad usage at the weekend between the hours of 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. is much higher than during that same period during the week, which again is a big difference from other devices. Bit.ly researcher Brian David Eoff reckons that this is because the iPad is used much more as an “entertainment device†than smartphones and computer browsers are. [/FONT]

Source: iPad Usage Patterns Differ From Other Platforms - Mac Rumors

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The spike times shown for the iPad probably coincide with times when users are relaxing, perhaps in front of the TV. They have their iPad with them, and when they get bored with the junk on the TV, or get fed up with the increasingly frequent and annoying commercial breaks, they just fire up the iPad instead. Before the iPad they would have had to get up and go to their PC to do that, and most didn't bother; now they have an iPad, they don't have to move from their easy chair - it's that easy.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have I missed something? Is the graph adjusted for the location of the user - i.e. time zone?

Tim

Edit:- Yes, it is....

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspect the different use pattern may have something to do with the fact that it's easier to browse the web at work discreetly on a smartphone or one's office computer than on an iPad. ;)

m3fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maura said:
MacRumors reports today on a click pattern study from Bit.ly, which reveals that iPad owners use their devices to browse the internet at different times than most other device users, including smartphone and computer owners. As you can see from the graph, for all other devices save the iPad, the general flow of traffic climbs significantly in the morning at the start of the work day, peaks mid-afternoon, then drops off as people head home from work. All of the other devices seem to show a very similar pattern. And then, though, there’s the iPad! As you can see from the way that thin blue line appears to have a mind of its own, iPad browsing patterns differ greatly from the norm. After dropping slightly after breakfast, and staying fairly low the rest of the day, it suddenly spikes later in the evening, around 9 p.m. Bit.ly also found that iPad usage at the weekend between the hours of 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. is much higher than during that same period during the week, which again is a big difference from other devices. Bit.ly researcher Brian David Eoff reckons that this is because the iPad is used much more as an “entertainment device” than smartphones and computer browsers are.

Source: iPad Usage Patterns Differ From Other Platforms - Mac Rumors

I would say that the IPad graph should be always up there noting the ease of use. It's not a surprise for most of us to be using these magnificent devices almost all the time! What can't we do with these devices. Our whole world has changed dramatically! Who really wants to take out their laptop, boot it up, wait for it to warm up, and for those who have desktops that wish to type a few emails or surf a few sites, who really has time to get off their comfortable couch and walk over to do all these things. He IPad rules and will for a very long time!

Cheers to all!

iPad3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipad3-release.com
I think it's amazing that in such a short period of time tablet computing has taken off. I can't wait to see what happens when devices like the iPad 2 HD and iPad 3 are released. I can only imagine Apple's role on the internet is going to grow exponentially.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions