What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intermittent reactivation's required after 8.0.2 update

UgashikBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After updating to latest level of IOS some of the times I power up it requires me to go through a reactivation sequence that appears to complete OK. After receiving the reactivation required message I have to go to the settings page to activate the wifi and see a message saying sign into icloud using an old appleid I can not seem to to delete The id has an email address than no longer exists and when I try reset the password on it I can not use the new password by email option so opt to use the security question and can not get past the first question where it can not verify my correct birth date. I have icloud turned off because we can not afford the bandwidth overhead. Is there any way I can get rid of this old appleid even if it has nothing to do with my reactivation problem
My wife has been using this ipad and I wondering if there is some way to totally reinitialize the entire ipad then restore just the game apps that she does not want to loose data on.?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Restoring from a backup is an all or nothing procedure. You can't just restore the game apps without restoring everything else on the iPad. You'll probably have to make a choice between restoring and setting it up as a new iPad or using the backup with it's iCloud problems.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The old Apple ID seems to be connected to the iPad as iCloud ID somehow. If you can't reset the password to login and/or remove the iDevice from that iCloud account, you'll have to take it to an Apple Retail Store or contact Apple Support to get help with your problem. You'll have to prove your ownership.

OP
U

UgashikBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was finally able to contact ipad support and was able to straighten out the icloud/appleid issues but still intermittently get the activation required msg that requires a wifi connection and entering your apple id and pw. Was told by apple support the intermittent activation required msgs could be caused by an incomplete update. With this in mind I just updated to 8.2 and received a successful completion msg. The intermittent activation required sequences still occur when I power up. When I purchased this ipad I purchased the Verizon cellular option because it was required in order to have a gps that I need for other apps. Cellular data is off and I have never activated the Verizon account. Could this be problem with the intermittent activation required messages?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6642769?start=0&tstart=0

I think the thread above addresses this problem only I have never activated my cell service. Also everything worked fine before I updated to 8.1 and that is were all the same problems above started occurring. The bad news is there appears to be no fix.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I honestly don't have any idea what's going on, or whether it has anything to do with Verizon. It could.

However, if Apple support said it could be an incomplete update, then updating to iOS 8.2 isn't guaranteed to fix it. Minor updates don't replaced the entire operating system. They only patch it. That means that it would be hit or miss whether iOS 8.2 happened to fix or replace the problem.

The only way to be absolutely certain it's not being caused by an error in the initial update would be to use iTunes on a computer and DFU mode to download and reinstall iOS. Even a restore won't actually replace iOS's system code. After doing this you could try restoring from a backup again to get back where you are now.

There should be some instructions on how to use DFU mode in the Hacking section of this forum.

Before you do that, you might want to give Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings a try. It probably won't fix the problem, but it won't cause any major problems either. Nothing gets deleted, but many of the system settings will be defaulted.

Most reactions

Latest posts