What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gifted a "locked" iPad

Donna301

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was gifted an iPad from my 95 year old mother who is no longer able to use it due to failing eyesight. It's been about 3 years since she accessed anything on it. She's forgotten her iCloud PW and the answers to the security questions to be able to reset the PW. If they were written down somewhere, they have been lost as she was moved to assisted living a year ago. I tried resetting it to factory settings via iTunes but the iPad is still requiring a PW to continue. It is now completely wiped and therefore I can't even access the few apps she had.

Before the reset, I tried setting up my own iCloud account on the device, but since her account is primary, I cannot update or add any apps thru the app store. I've also tried working this thru Apple support but no one is able to help me without her credentials. Online support is requiring a copy of the receipt and verified place of purchase, but of course that is long gone.

Am I just out of luck to be able to use this device? I know this seems spurious as anyone could come on here and ask for instructions on reactivating a "dead" iPad, but it's a shame to me that it is sitting here unused and basically a glorified doorstop with a lovely pink cover at this point.

Thanks for any ideas or things I could try to get it working again.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

Apple could have helped with a proof that it belongs to her/you. There‘s no other way to get it working again. It‘s not possible to bypass iCloud‘s Activation Lock without damaging the device.
There are sites promising to unlock devices like yours, locked to a former owner, but they are scam.

If Apple can‘t help, we can‘t assist either. Sorry!

OP
D

Donna301

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Too bad, it was barely used. Oh well, it was worth a shot asking all you nice people if help was out there.

Appreciate it.
Donna

Snapshot2020

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it's an older iPad i and 3 years puts it as old, i would get a new iPad as the new one are a lot better then the older ones.

OP
D

Donna301

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, but the whole idea was to use this iPad, which was barely used at all. It's just such a shame it is basically dead. What a disposable world we live in.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iCloud‘s Activation Lock is a security feature, intended to keep anyone from using your Apple device without your permission. As you notice right now, it works quite well.
Downside: If you forget Apple ID or password, you have to prove you‘re the owner, or else Apple can‘t help.

Snapshot2020

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, but the whole idea was to use this iPad, which was barely used at all. It's just such a shame it is basically dead. What a disposable world we live in.
I just stuck my fourth iPad is the closet when their outdated or Apple no longer supports them it's time to say good bye.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just stuck my fourth iPad is the closet when their outdated or Apple no longer supports them it's time to say good bye.

When you get a new device you should see if it can be traded in. Apple offers this service, and even if you don't get any money towards your new device, they will recycle it for free.

Other places you might buy an iPad often offer similar options. No point in leaving it in your closet if you're never going to use it again.

Snapshot2020

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you get a new device you should see if it can be traded in. Apple offers this service, and even if you don't get any money towards your new device, they will recycle it for free.

Other places you might buy an iPad often offer similar options. No point in leaving it in your closet if you're never going to use it again.
I bought the new Apple iPad Air 5 it's light years better then my older iPads, i have learned it's the on board memory that is important.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm glad you got something you like. I was just suggesting there are better ways to deal with an old iPad than sticking it in a closet. Not that I'm guiltless when it comes to hanging on to older stuff, but I know I shouldn't.

Next time I buy direct from Apple with a trade/recycle option, I plan on stuffing in a few other older Apple items in the box along with the expected device. I've done it before with no complaints.

Snapshot2020

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad you got something you like. I was just suggesting there are better ways to deal with an old iPad than sticking it in a closet. Not that I'm guiltless when it comes to hanging on to older stuff, but I know I shouldn't.

Next time I buy direct from Apple with a trade/recycle option, I plan on stuffing in a few other older Apple items in the box along with the expected device. I've done it before with no complaints.
I buy all my iPads from Best Buy if I don’t like it I just return it, try this with the Apple Store.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Last edited:

Snapshot2020

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Best Buy. They also do recycling, if you should find your closet getting a bit full.

Apple does have a two week return policy. Most stores/retailers do these days.
People need more then 2 weeks to know if first the iPad is going to keep working next if it will do what they want in a iPad, my older iPads just were 64s my new iPad is a 256 memory is everything when dragging the screens I didn’t think I needed the extra memory for my files didn’t know it had other uses.
Really, I'm not trying to be pushy or preachy. I can't afford the last witout being a hypocrite. Just trying to make sure people know they have options.

Most reactions

Latest posts