What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.1 update issues

UgashikBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After installing the ios 8.1 update on my ipad 3 I receive the update complete message. When I power up I get an activation required message that requires a network connection be made before you can access any of the ipad functions. This has occurred intermittently since the 8.1 update. There have been times when powered up everything worked normally but the majority of the times I get this activation required message.
Any suggestions?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello - if not already done, try a 'Reset' (hold down the power & home screen buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, then release and allow the device to reboot) - if of no help, post back - Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just in case giradman's good advice doesn't help:
Is there something special that needs to be activated? Do you have an iPhone, updated to iOS 8.1 as well? Perhaps it's possible you take a screenshot and post it, so that we'll be able to help more exactly. If an Apple ID/email address/phone number are visible, blur them,using an app like Skitch.

OP
U

UgashikBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried the reset process and could not get a failure in 4 attempts. In event of failure how do I get a screenshot when activation message occurs directly after Apple init logo? Just 64GB ipad3 with no carrier activation required and no iphones involved. Thank you for your help

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you can't take a screenshot using your Home and Power button (shortly, you'll hear a shutter sound), do you have anything else to take a picture?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tried the reset process and could not get a failure in 4 attempts. In event of failure how do I get a screenshot when activation message occurs directly after Apple init logo? Just 64GB ipad3 with no carrier activation required and no iphones involved. Thank you for your help

Well, as already suggested, a screenshot would help - if not feasible, can you at least try to describe what the 'activation message' is stating/asking you to do? If a network connection is needed (per your OP), are you connected to the internet w/ Wi-Fi? How did you upgrade your device to iOS 8.1, i.e. cabled to a computer or OTA (Over the Air using Wi-Fi)? Dave :)

Most reactions