What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing former Apple id when I don't know the password

Rajah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My former Apple id keeps popping up while using my iPad (asking for password to iCloud). I want to remove the old I'd but Don't know password. Called Apple support and they won't do it for me unless I either identify myself via birthdate (my birthdate won't work) and mother's maiden name which works. Also, when using email option to get instructions how to remove old I'd, the email message never shows up in my in box or junk mail. Apple says I probably never verified the email address. They also said if I could prove ownership of any of my apple devices that might help. None of my serial numbers match what they have on record. I thought maybe it was registered under my wife's name and that didn't't work either. So, I sit here with 11 Apple devices and apple won't help me remove my old Apple id! What can I do?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My former Apple id keeps popping up while using my iPad (asking for password to iCloud). I want to remove the old I'd but Don't know password. Called Apple support and they won't do it for me unless I either identify myself via birthdate (my birthdate won't work) and mother's maiden name which works. Also, when using email option to get instructions how to remove old I'd, the email message never shows up in my in box or junk mail. Apple says I probably never verified the email address. They also said if I could prove ownership of any of my apple devices that might help. None of my serial numbers match what they have on record. I thought maybe it was registered under my wife's name and that didn't't work either. So, I sit here with 11 Apple devices and apple won't help me remove my old Apple id! What can I do?
I'm afraid that unless you can remember your old Apple password or you can convince Apple that you're the legitimate owner of your devices you won't be able to access those devices. There's no way to bypass the iCloud activation lock on your devices.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One would think the finger print ID feature on the latest iOS devices would overcome the problems caused by forgetting the Apple password..... just press your finger on the Start button.
But not so. I found on my recently purchased iPad Air2 that if you reset your iPad you will be asked to provide the password before the finger print facility can be actuated again. Seems to me a bit too much of "belt as well as braces to hold your trousers up".
But it's quite a nice feature to use. And it was a pleasant surprise to see that the App I use to secure password etc storage ("The Vault") has been updated to use finger print recognition so I don't need to worry about forgetting that main opener password and lose all my other passwords info.
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts