What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing any videos from Mac/Pc into iMovie in just 2 steps

Rends

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have 4:3 SD , 16:9 SD or HD videoclips up to 1080p, mpeg,mov or m4v you want to import into iMovie on your iPad?

It´s easier than you think. There are several sometimes somewhat outdated websites out there describing difficult ways to import the videos to the iPad.
Let´s do it easy and fast.
What do you need: A free software called Handbrake. Get it here: HandBrake

Let´s start:

Step1

Open Handbrake and load the videoclip you want to have on your iPad.
On the right you see a button "Toggle Presets". Click on it and select AppleTV2 if you have SD source or 720p videoclips. Choose High Profile if you have 1080p full HD source files
Select the output destination and hit Start (or add to Queue if you want to convert a couple of videoclips.

Step2
Renaming.
You will likely need to rename your videoclips to make it readable for iMovie.
iMovie accept only clips if the names are 8 digits or letters.
Examples that should work:

video123.mov
12345678.m4v
videocli.mov
Test1234.m4v

You can mix digits and letters use upper and lowercase like you want but it must be the magic 8 + appendix .mov or .m4v

Now fire up iTunes and connect you iPad with your Mac/Pc .Click on photos .Move to the folder where your videoclips are located. Select include videos and upload the stuff to your iPad and have fun.

Rends

:eek:

Edit1: If your original source files are already iPad compatible* just skip Step1 and do the renaming Step2 only.
* http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ scroll down to TV and Video for more information.

Edit2: if you don't want to use itunes for some reasons you can use the filebrowser app on your iPad and copy the clips to the Photo Library. The clips will then automatically appear in iMovie.

Edit3: i successfully tested this method using the Camera connection kit. You only need to create a folder called DCIM on your SD card and copy the videos to the folder. Connect the CCK with the SD card and import the videos to the Photo Album on your iPad. This way you have extra storage for movies you can watch on the iPad if you are on holidays.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like this! great write-up. I may just try it myself

Thank you for the thought and your efforts here!!

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
I have a vast collection of photos on my PC and use Photoshop Elements 10 to organise them when I sync to the iPad with the Elements option on iTunes, videos are not synced only photos. Is there a way to get the video clip to iMovie, I have tried to load it into iTunes on the "apps" page but there is zilch in the iMovie app when I open it. Also I can't delete this file from the iTunes "apps" page it seems to only let you add files.

OP
Rends

Rends

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tecknoes. If you import videoclips using iTunes make sure todo it over the Photos Tab not the movies Tab.
And once in Photo Tab don't forget to check the include video options.

OP
Rends

Rends

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i successfully tested this method using the Camera connection kit. You only need to create a folder called DCIM on your SD card and copy the videos to the folder. Connect the CCK with the SD card and import the videos to the Photo Album on your iPad. This way you have extra storage for movies you can watch on the iPad if you are on holidays.

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
Hi there, seems like a good idea ............ my problem is that I have a CCK which only works if I connect the camera direct, but won't accept an SDHC card, I've read that it's something to do with the voltage on the iPad port/iOS5. If this is correct or not I don't know and I'm not going to buy another CCK to see if it is my CCK. I've just ordered an Eye-Fi 8gig Pro SDHC card for my camera and I'm hoping it will transfer the videos over the WiFi .......... fingers and toes crossed as it's b****y expensive

BTW the box to tick to include videos when you sync photos isn't shown when you use the Adobe Elements option to sync not a My Pictures folder.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

PaulKeels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i also recommend you a easy way to import mov to iMovie through a converter names Bigasoft iMovie Converter for Mac. it's easy to use. just give it a try.

Most reactions

Latest posts