What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iMessage?

icantnot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I use "Message" on my iPad 2 (wi-fi only)? Better question...What is Message (I think it may also be called iMessage)? I've been reading places on the forum where people talk about having problems with Message and FaceTime (I don't know what that is either, but one thing at a time). I've done searches for "Message" on the forum, but come up empty. Any help would be appreciated. Do I need to know others that have an iPad?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iMessage is an SMS system that can be used between people who have iDevices running iOs5 and later. Because it uses the Internet rather than telephony, it is free to use and is not restricted to 160 characters. It only works when the sender and recipient have the required devices.

You can send messages using either the email address or the telephone number of the recipient.

Hope this is clear. If not give a shout and I'll post some screenshots to walk you through it.

OP
I

icantnot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if I understand you correctly, by giving my email (the apple registered email) to another iPad user, they can "chat" with me thru "message"? Or vice versa, I open "message", enter their email then my text to them, and they will get my text right into the Message app?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So if I understand you correctly, by giving my email (the apple registered email) to another iPad user, they can "chat" with me thru "message"? Or vice versa, I open "message", enter their email then my text to them, and they will get my text right into the Message app?

Yep, that's it. As long as you both are on iOS 5 and both your iMessages are turned on...

To check the e-mail address(es) your Messages app uses, go to your Settings app. On the left side will be a line for Message. When you press on that, look in the right side and find a line titled "Receive At." That's the e-mail message you want to give someone so they can iMessage you. It may or may be the one that's your Apple ID or default one. Of course, that works in reverse for your friend(s). They'll need to give you the e-mail address the iMessage app receives on for you to contact them.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts